Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Offending someone is rude, but it's an essentially victimless crime, and it's so easy for someone to take offense when none was meant, that it's idiotic to place the blame on either person involved.

For example: Your mothers name was Susan. You go to a dinner party with some aquaintances from work. On the dinner table is an interesting placement with many foods arrayed for all guests around the table to reach easily. You ask the host, "Oh! That's very useful, I think I might get one for my next party. What is it called?" When he tells you that it's called a Lazy Susan, would you be offended? Would you jump to some bizarre conclusion that he's just trying to get under your skin? Would you expect him to apologize for being rude to your mother? I certainly hope not.

How about your name is Jack MacDonald. You're walking down the street one day, and a person who doesn't like fast-food happens to say "I really hate McDonald's!" as you're walking by. Would you make the assumption that he was trying to personally offend you, or would you realize he was talking about something completely unrelated and carry on with your day?

Offending someone is a thought0crime at best. Fascists are known, for more than anything else, to punish thought-crimes as if they were concrete offenses. So, doesn't punishing someone for having a name that might offend someone if they went out of their way to be offended by it count as more similar to Nazism than happening to have a name that means "Lieutenant" in german? Whether it happened to be an S.S. Lieutenant or not?

Authoritarianism is just a matter of perspective removed from Fascism, in any case. Name changing the guy is reasonable. Banning him for asking for an explanation (he might have just liked the sound of it, read it in a book once, put it together randomly from a german dictionary, or something equally innocuous, and might have just wanted to know what the problem was) is pretty unethical.

Whether they're allowed to do it or not, it's still ethically unsound.

You buddy got banned for the same reason no one can use Charles Chaplin's stache anymore...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    You buddy got banned for the same reason no one can use Charles Chaplin's stache anymore...
    Rofl, true.

Reminds me of that Two and a Half Men episode where Alan has that 'stache for a while and says "I like this look. Shame one guy had to ruin it all for the rest of us."
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    Rofl, true.

Reminds me of that Two and a Half Men episode where Alan has that 'stache for a while and says "I like this look. Shame one guy had to ruin it all for the rest of us."
    Yup, exactly.

15+ Year Old Account
    [Locked] Thread Derailed.