Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    I was not referring to system RAM, but video RAM. GPU-Z and RivaTuner detect video memory usage. My statement stands.

(If I could run three instances of EVE Online, WoW, and World of Tanks in 2GiB system RAM, that would be amazing, no?)
    Hm, yea, you have a point. But not many people play 3 games at once :P

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Hm, yea, you have a point. But not many people play 3 games at once :P
    I admit, I am the exception to the rule . I've filled up my 8GiB RAM to the brim before too, after people told me it was overkill and I was stupid for buying it.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    For reference: having WoW running on 1920x1080 right now in a 10-man environment and during boss fights I get 35% max usage out of my VRAM on my MSI GTX 560ti 1Gb.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    For reference: having WoW running on 1920x1080 right now in a 10-man environment and during boss fights I get 35% max usage out of my VRAM on my MSI GTX 560ti 1Gb.
    with ultra max settings? if so that seems pretty great.

Deleted
    Tbh, go for a Sandy Bridge processor, even if you are planning to go for a Bulldozer, Ivy bridge will probably blow that out of the water as well with their 22nm processors, and they will be backwards compatible with the sandy bridge mobos, so if you are palnning to go for the highend cpu, you could just purchase an IB once they come out and replace your SB with it.

Atm I'm running wow on a Nvidia Geforce 9600GTm (yes, i play on a laptop atm) with an intel duo core T6400 @ 2.00ghz on 1080p on good settings at about 20-30 fps. You really don't need high end technology to run WoW on Ultra (excluding shadows, since that brings every system to his knees)
    Last edited by mmocfce925a786; 2011-06-09 at 06:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Case is fine, processor is outdated, RAM is far too much for virtually anything. 8GB is fine for video editing even. Might want to consider the 6 core AMD or the i7 2600k. Mboard has some early release poblems, but I'm sure some of them have been fixed. The 2GB AMD 6950, AFAIK, cannot be flashed to a 6970 unless you get lucky and get one of the initial release models, so I'd get the 1GB version. A 2TB hard drive is useless. You can't honestly have that much crap on your computer if you're using it mostly for gaming, with a little graphics and video editing. I'd go for a 500GB green drive and a 120GB SSD, but that's just my opinion. Or just a 1TB Caviar Black.

Frequency doesn't trump cores if you're doing graphics and video editing, as the amount of cores you have will assist you in rendering quicker. Also, if you ever get in the C4D/3D modeling scene, 8 cores is beautiful. Literally doubles the speed of a 4 core.

So, in summary:
    Go for a higher core-count processor if you're interested in graphics/video editing.
    Consider stepping down the storage solution a little, and heavily consider a solid state drive.
    Realize that 2GB vRAM is only helpful when driving MASSIVE resolutions. If you're using a single monitor, it's not needed at all.

6950 > 6870.
    You won't notice a performance increase, so stay 1600, but drop down to 8GB for the sake of saving money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    with ultra max settings? if so that seems pretty great.
    Yes, everything on Ultra, even shadows (even though that impacts the CPU more than the GPU).
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-06-09 at 06:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    A 2TB hard drive is useless.
    Tbh, considering HDD are becoming dirt cheap these days, I wouldn't say it is useless. Besides, I have a 500GB HDD filled with Video footage of 2 weeks worth of filming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    Tbh, considering HDD are becoming dirt cheap these days, I wouldn't say it is useless. Besides, I have a 500GB HDD filled with Video footage of 2 weeks worth of filming.
    Sorry, I should rephrase.
    I'd get two 1TB Hard drives. While being slightly more expensive, this allows more flexible storage solutions. You can raid them, or use data recovery, or keep them as two seperate drives for things such as Fraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketbear View Post
    yeah the difference between a 1 TB drive and a 2TB is like 20 bucks, I honestly won't use most of it but I want this thing to last me a few years, and I tend to fill them up

---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 06:55 PM ----------

Probably going to check out with this later today unless anyone sees any more problems with it. Thanks for everyone's help!

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    Ram: 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - EVGA SuperClocked (Core: 900MHz)
    MB: ASUS P8P67 LE
    HDD: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks beautiful.
    Do you have a psu lying around? Sorry if I missed that in a different post
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Haven't decided yet, suggestions are this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171048 but i'm still shopping around

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    yeah the difference between a 1 TB drive and a 2TB is like 20 bucks, I honestly won't use most of it but I want this thing to last me a few years, and I tend to fill them up

---------- Post added 2011-06-09 at 06:55 PM ----------

Probably going to check out with this later today unless anyone sees any more problems with it. Thanks for everyone's help!

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    Ram: 8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - EVGA SuperClocked (Core: 900MHz)
    MB: ASUS P8P67 LE
    HDD: 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s
    That's actually vastly better than any other ones listed if you're interested in video editing. Otherwise, it's not.

Isn't 1kW a little much?
    Corsair AX750 should be enough for that rig. It's also more efficient than the CM one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Isn't 1kW a little much?
    Corsair AX750 should be enough for that rig. It's also more efficient than the CM one.
    They're prebuilds. Might as well take it.
    Fudge, ignore me.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-06-09 at 10:08 PM.

posted the wrong p.s. at first, edited with the correct one a few mins later sorry