10+ Year Old Account

How I make money with engineering.

Ok, just gonna list what I do to make dough using engineering. I am tired of hearing "If you picked engineering for gold, you're a fool" etc...

1. rare pets (NOT the new cataclysm ones, they are rarely bought. I only suggest making them when requested.): Lil Smokey, Pet bombling (both around 90-120 each), Tranquil Mechanical Yeti(150-200), and Lifelike Mechanical toad(300-400) especially.

2. Smoke flares: White and Green are easy to get, but they still go for the same as the rare purple smoke flare. I sell smoke flares at 100g a stack, usually buying the elemental blasting powder for dirt cheap after people power level engineering.

3. Of course, the common scopes sell for a pretty penny, price fluctuates though because of how many people sell them. I don't suggest trying to make solid profit of these.

4. Usually If I advertise that I can make mechano-hogs, I can get a 200g tip on average. DO NOT make these when drunk, as you may buy the wrong vendor mats

5. One of my biggest sellers is fireworks. However, only blue, green, and snake-burst fireworks sell well. I put them up at 25g a stack since they're dirt cheap to make.

The breakdown in order from best seller to worst is as followed:
    1. Lifelike mechanical toad (schematic is extremely rare, usually sells high. it WILL pay for itself in about a month.)
    2. Smoke flares, purple, green, then white.
    3. Fireworks. Blue, snake burst, then green.
    4. the other rare pets.

Those are really all I need to make just as much as any other profession. The key aspects though are knowing how, when, and what to advertise. Make sure to let them know that non-engineers can use smoke flares, fireworks and all the pets. Many people believe that they wont be able to use them, after seeing engineering requirements on goggles, bombs, etc. Always link your engineering, and provide a catchy slogan or enticement for someone to buy your knickknacks and doodads.

I am not just some scrub, and I do have some knowledge to share...I've passed gold cap twice, and this is one of my main incomes. If you don't believe me engineer friends, try this yourself. you will be surprised what you make!

BTW: IF someone wants to post this on wow forums, feel free. I don't post there anymore.

I make bank with engineering and I don't sell any of that stuff.

I'm not putting you down - far from it. I think it proves that the professions are open-ended enough that anyone can use them to make gold in any number of ways, the only real limit being how much effort one puts into thinking about how to do it.

+1 rep

thank you for posting, just got around to making an eng alt

Deleted
    pets are quite frankly, a ludicrous way of making money.

i can craft 5 lil' smokey for roughly 50-100g depending on AH prices, and sell 20-30 each week for 150-250g each.

sell 1 pet and you make profit

Deleted
    No one well informed can say you cant make profit with eng.I usually sell those and I will add(if OP permits me):
    -The goblin bbq makes a little profit too(but dont get wrong ,it is not sold to raiders,so not affected by weekly shift)
    -If you are a miner/herbalist/skinner the ...oww,cant remeber the name:electromagnetic oscillator? gets you 20 airs an hour easy (thats a plus of 500 g/h on my server)
    -If you watch the khorium market the flying machines are sold well to other engineers that are too lazy or see the khoirum price and your price thinking is a good deal(well,you didnt bought khorium at the price they are seeing).I usually sell 2-3 a week for around 2000 net profit.

But it is true that compared to any other crafting proffession(any)....I find engineering is ...bleh!.Youre gonna sell a lot more crafted pvp items(and come the 4.2 the market will be x10) or gems or glyphs with a better margin.

Now if you got a mountain of chaos orbs and grind your ass on firelands to get the Impact choker vendor opened and be one of the first ones on your server...well,Now we are really talking on a mountain of gold,an obscene ammount of gold(my estimation is a net 5000 g margin if you craft and put on AH) plus the critter launcher.Bad news is once the recipe is common,engineering will get back to a non espectacular profit.

Salutes fellow engineers and keep grinding your gears!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah this is great that we're all putting together our ideas. Wow has so many little neat things, something we forget about them I guess.