Thread: Which GPU?

Which GPU?

Would this little:

EVGA GeForce GT 520
    http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...eries%20Family

outperform my big:

GTX 275 - PCI Express 2.0 - 1024mb [Dual Slot Card]

Was unable to find a link as its been a wile since I got it, its brand is PNY if that matters.

also, if the 520 is better, how much of a noticeable increase would it be? It just looks so small, am I getting caught up in the 520?

Hell no it won't. That's a budget card, the GTX275 was almost the top card in its class. You won't get a significant upgrade with anything less than about a GTX470/560. (Yes, a GTX460 will run faster, but is it worth the $150? Not IMO.)
    Super casual.

+ it has faster core clock (about 1/4th more)
    + supports dx11
    + faster shader clock
    + mem bandwidth is faster

- the cost
    - draws more power

honestly after a quick glance, i would not make the purchase, i would collect some more money and go higher-end if i were you

Deleted
    Anything below a 560 is a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Postaldude View Post
    + it has faster core clock (about 1/4th more)
    + supports dx11
    + faster shader clock
    + mem bandwidth is faster

- the cost
    - draws more power

honestly after a quick glance, i would not make the purchase, i would collect some more money and go higher-end if i were you
    You did see that it was a GT520, right? Not a 560 or anything like that? Compared to the GTX275 the OP already has, the GT520 has:

1. 1/5th the shaders
    2. 1/15th the memory bandwidth (yes, one fifteenth)
    3. Support for DX11 without the power to actually RUN it in modern games
    4. Draws only a trickle of power, as it doesn't have any high end hardware to drive
    Super casual.

15+ Year Old Account
    560Ti should be your upgrade, if you even bother getting on with the current generation of cards. GTX275 is an EXCELLENT card.

Get a 570 if you can afford it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get a 570 if thats to much then get the 560ti
    Intel i7 2700K (@4.8Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 7 64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Corsair Force 3 SSD 120GB - Gigabyte GTX680 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

Well, I been set on the right road, Thanks everyone for your knowledge and advice, helps out.

Moonkin maybe looking for raiding guild.
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Abit IP35 Pro | 8GB DDR2 | XFX GTX 260 | Crucial C300 128GB | Asus Xonar STX | Corsair 550VX | Dell U3011 | IBM Model M | Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    You did see that it was a GT520, right? Not a 560 or anything like that? Compared to the GTX275 the OP already has, the GT520 has:

1. 1/5th the shaders
    2. 1/15th the memory bandwidth (yes, one fifteenth)
    3. Support for DX11 without the power to actually RUN it in modern games
    4. Draws only a trickle of power, as it doesn't have any high end hardware to drive
    oh wow sorry my bad i must have mixed the numbers up, been up all night ^^

then we can definately conclude it's shit, rite?

Quote Originally Posted by Postaldude View Post
    oh wow sorry my bad i must have mixed the numbers up, been up all night ^^

then we can definately conclude it's shit, rite?
    Yep! /highfive
    Super casual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your curent card is a very good one.

You would need to upgrade to a 570+ in order to make it worth your while.

You should do what i plan to do. Save money for the 600 series, your current card will last at least another year and a half. On lower settings ofcourse, but im sure you wont need to turn it to lowest for at least another 2 years.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    I would too advise you to be patient and wait for the next gen cards. The one you have is a great card.

However, if you really want to upgrade I would probably point you towards a 580 if you have the money.

Deleted
    GTX580 is pretty much OTT for WoW (unless you are gmaing on a super hi-def 30" LED monitor or using 3d glasses.

The rest depends on the resolution of your monitor but the GTX460 and 560ti are both great cards, the 460 is probably 2x as fast as a GTX275 -if you are gaming at 1900x1080 or higher then the 460/560 options will serve you well. you can use the 275 in 1900x1200 but you would sacrifice other settings to max out the FPS, you can pretty much run a 460 with 2x MS and 4x AA in ultra.

Remember though, you have to be equally supported with a decent CPU to unlock its full potential.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korchinks View Post
    the 460 is probably 2x as fast as a GTX275
    Stop pulling stuff out your own ass. Really.
    http://www.hwcompare.com/8272/geforc...e-gtx-460-1gb/

As for the OP: Again, either you go for a high end card like the 580, or you wait for next generation (GTX 6xx). The 275 will last you a bit further if you have the patience. It IS a good card.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-06-10 at 10:27 PM.

Deleted
    Impressive, you don;t even know me yet to reduce the level of conversation to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Stop pulling stuff out your own ass. Really.
    http://www.hwcompare.com/8272/geforc...e-gtx-460-1gb/

As for the OP: Again, either you go for a high end card like the 580, or you wait for next generation (GTX 6xx). The 275 will last you a bit further if you have the patience. It IS a good card.
    "Please note that the above 'benchmarks' are all just theoretical - the results were calculated based on the card's specifications, and real-world performance may (and probably will) vary"

Synthetic pre-rendered benchmarks are swank- here's a real world WoW example I had a GTX280 powered by X58 17 920D0 overclocked to 4.2ghz, it was pulling roughly 85fps in crowded Dalaran, same rig with GTX460 was pulling 127fps (frap averages), yet in a 25man raid on Marrowgar that framerate was down to just 23fps compared to 58fps on the GTX460

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...rectCu/14.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...x876,2671.html

Don't get me wrong the GTX275 is a nice card, but it's not DX11 compatable, it's 3 years old technology, has no warranty and is nowhere near as powerful as a GTX460/560ti, which also has lower power consumption characteristics and enough overclocking headroom to last a long time........ that said, if you only play WoW (and not other modern FPS shooters) then you can play around with WoW GPU settings and although you might have some stuttering in raiding there's no real reason to upgrade just yet.......all assuming of course your CPU has enough power in it not to be the bottleneck.
    Last edited by mmoc3b1dfad2aa; 2011-06-17 at 12:54 PM.