Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Call of Duty: Black Ops.

I'm getting this game tomorrow, along with an Xbox360 (First console in years). As it stands, I'm horrible at using controllers. Is there a way for me to learn how to play, or if anybody wants to add me and help me out, that'd be just as good.

I havn't played on a console since I was 10. And at that, I've never played A FPS on a console.
    Level 85 Illithid Mage.

It comes through practice mostly, run the campaign on easy to get a feel for it.

inb4 massive massive amounts of hate

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    It comes through practice mostly, run the campaign on easy to get a feel for it.

inb4 massive massive amounts of hate
    i still don't get the Pc vs. console hate, i guess its just too far beneath me.

It entirely depends on your hand-eye coordination, if you're bad at it or even slow you'll have a hard time starting off in black ops.

But if you're bad at it you're essentially doomed to forever be bad. (No I'm not judging you, but CoD is a millisecond game and reaction is 1/2 of that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleguy
    Hi, my druid is currently lvl 75 and i'm going for resto at lvl 80, so my question is, what is the most used resto healing rotation?.

10+ Year Old Account
    The combat training is very useful before you start playing online. Or as Penguin said, just run through the campaign on the recruit setting.

I know that personally I'm a very habitual kind of gamer, so things like button schemes and speeds become habits that are very hard to break. So for me this means trying to zero in on the perfect sensitivity before getting too involved in a game, otherwise I'm stuck playing at a setting that I know isn't optimal for me

Oh yeah I forgot that, there's the kind of offline-with-bots multiplayer called combat training, I think that has different difficulty settings and can help you get a feel for the multiplayer. I wouldn't do it too much though because you'll get used to fighting bots and the reality of real people shooting at you will hit you hard, just run around the maps and get used to them and then head into the real deal as soon as you feel ready I'd say

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    He might mean the hate towards Black Ops. If you want to run through campaign, try it on the easier difficulties to learn what button does what (that's how I did it).

As for online play, you just gotta keep practicing. And expect to die. A lot. Like, no joke. Some days I do nothing but get shot to pieces either by premade parties or beastly 12 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyhan View Post
    He might mean the hate towards Black Ops.
    I fully expect both forms before the thread falls off the front page

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the advice, guys.
    Level 85 Illithid Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    I fully expect both forms before the thread falls off the front page
    1 down 1 to go

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunapants View Post
    Black ops is worthless...
    Ah, there it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black ops is worthless...
    Please don't cause this thread to derail...

OT: Black Ops itself is, I really don't know why is not a bad game to be straightforward and honest. People hate on it because they get raped by some high pitched squealing little kid who know sense of the fact that his entire mind runs on his pride for that one game, also when he dies he squeals even more.

It's a good game to play because everyone plays it, it's replay value is very good, ZOMBIES!!!!(my favorite form of horde mode in any game), and since everyone plays it, the higher a prestige you are the more praise (or shame sometimes) you get.

I like it but most people hate on it because:

1. They aren't good at it.
    2. Little squealing kids.
    3. It's your generic game for shooters and since it is popular it always has the most flaws because more play it.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    BlackOps has a very nice practice mode. Can't remember what its called, I haven't played in a while. I used it extensively to test load outs and get the feel of certain maps to chaotic to get a feel for in live multiplayer. Run a couple of rounds in it versus bots and you'll be up to par in no time. I also suggest playing with the sensitivity of your controller, default never seems right.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Please don't cause this thread to derail...

OT: Black Ops itself is, I really don't know why is not a bad game to be straightforward and honest. People hate on it because they get raped by some high pitched squealing little kid who know sense of the fact that his entire mind runs on his pride for that one game, also when he dies he squeals even more.

It's a good game to play because everyone plays it, it's replay value is very good, ZOMBIES!!!!(my favorite form of horde mode in any game), and since everyone plays it, the higher a prestige you are the more praise (or shame sometimes) you get.

I like it but most people hate on it because:

1. They aren't good at it.
    2. Little squealing kids.
    3. It's your generic game for shooters and since it is popular it always has the most flaws because more play it.
    1. Being a prestige means nothing besides the fact that you play it a lot. People say, "You suck because you are still level 50." And yet most of the time I am the top or at least top 3.
    2. The only good thing about Black Ops is that a lot of people play it, which is the only reason I played it for as long as I did. Other then that the game is worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Being a prestige means nothing besides the fact that you play it a lot. People say, "You suck because you are still level 50." And yet most of the time I am the top or at least top 3.
    2. The only good thing about Black Ops is that a lot of people play it, which is the only reason I played it for as long as I did. Other then that the game is worthless.
    You said there that everyone plays it, therefore it isn't worthless.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    You said there that everyone plays it, therefore it isn't worthless.
    There's something else a lot of people do that's absolutely worthless, but I won't say it out loud as to derail the topic/get it locked/get banned. I'm just sure everyone that gets what I mean, gets it.

It's not a bad game... but it's not worth its launch retail price.

You will get used to it quickly. Just play the single player. If you don't feel comfortable playing MP after you beat SP, try it again on hardened or veteran. The controls for the CoD games are very good, so I don't foresee you having problems with it.

If you go right into multiplayer don't get discouraged. You will probably die over and over again if you haven't played a console game in a long time. Just keep at it.

You know what really helped my game? Wager matches. Gun Game specifically. I was absolutely terrible at CoD. I took one day out of the week and spent the entire day just doing Gun Game. I played Gun Game over and over again. I went to bed and woke up the next day. I went to join some real matches and it suddenly felt like I gained some skill. I was actually getting positive K/D ratios. I found Gun Game to be an amazing practice tool. It gives you a good sense of how each individual weapon functions and gives you a ton of practice. Once you feel comfortable with a controller in your hand, and have a good sense of all the guns. The next step is to just go around and play different maps. Knowing the layout of the map can sometimes get you more kills than knowing how to use the weapon. So I say use Gun Game as controller practice and gun practice. Then just run regular matches to learn the maps. Eventually it will all sync together.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on spending time with the controller and practicing aiming.
    I've never owned a console, been playing all my games on PC and a few weeks ago when I tried Black Ops on my friend's xbox it was simply PAINFUL to use an analog stick to point your weapon, even with all the aim-assist going on. Lets just say I got my ass handed to me on multiplayer in a game where I can easily top charts on a PC.

It's just takes...a lot of getting used to.

Me and friends still have TON of fun in fighting games like Street Fighter 4, because I believe that's the only thing which keyboard+mouse can't do very well...and maybe the odd RPG like Bayonetta/Devil May Cry because they have combo systems.
    But for a first person shooter...never again. Controllers are just not made for that kind of stuff man = /
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-12 at 02:40 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

the zombies are fun and thats about it, cant you use a mouse/keyboard with the 360? or that just playstations?