Deleted

WoW: FPS-drops near trees.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here it goes.

A few months ago, my FPS in WoW has been taking serious drops whenever I get near areas with lots of trees (Ashenvale, Felwood, Hyjal and Elwynn for example), and I have absolutely no idea what's causing it.
    Before I could keep a steady 60FPS wherever I was, but now I only get like 15FPS when near trees.
    I have tried updating my graphic card drivers, disabling all my addons, closing all background applications, and even placing every single graphic setting on the lowest possible. Yet even after all that, I still get FPS drops.

I've ran out of ideas, so I came here to look for help. If there's anyone that has an idea about what could fix this, I'd appreciate it.

Deleted
    What setup are you using? I.e. what GPU?

Also, did you do a clean install of the drivers? (As in, remove old drivers -> run a driver-cleaner -> install new drivers).

Deleted
    What's your setup?

Oh, and how about resto druids?

Deleted
    Yes, I did remove the old drivers before installing the new ones.

As for my setup: I have an i7-920 CPU, an ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 1GB video memory, and 15GB RAM.

Deleted
    Dendrophobia? Just throwing that out there...

Not sure how poly heavy trees are... could it be a heat issue? When's the last time your PC was cleaned?
    Super casual.

Deleted
    I actually have thought of it being a heat issue as well, though I assumed that if that were the case, the FPS drop would be continuous, not just when there are trees nearby. The moment I move to an area without trees, the FPS jumps back up to 60.
    I think the last time my pc was cleaned out was about two weeks ago, so not too long ago.

Do you have the same issue when walking into Org/SW?
    For your computer it doesn't matter if there are 100 characters on the screen or 100 trees, both have the same impact on your system. (assuming they're both made up from roughly the same amount of polygons)

Maybe you have sunshafts way up? I know trees are crazy with them. If you want to see what I mean, turn them to max, go to twilight highlands, look at the sun through a tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Do you have the same issue when walking into Org/SW?
    For your computer it doesn't matter if there are 100 characters on the screen or 100 trees, both have the same impact on your system. (assuming they're both made up from roughly the same amount of polygons)
    No problem at all in Stormwind, or any other heavy populated area, that's what making it so strange.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    Maybe you have sunshafts way up? I know trees are crazy with them. If you want to see what I mean, turn them to max, go to twilight highlands, look at the sun through a tree.
    I do have sunshafts at the max, but as I said in my first post, the issue continues even with everything at lowest/turned off.

Try disabling AAA (Adaptive Anti-Aliasing), that fixed a similar problem for me.

Deleted
    I assume Transparency Antialiasing and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing are thesame thing? I can only find Adaptive Anti-Aliasing in my Control Centre.
    It did appear to be turned on, and after I disabled it it boosted my FPS near trees to 30FPS, that's double of what I had.

Still not as high as I believe it should be, but at this level it's at least playable again. Thanks for the support so far.

Deleted
    You should go through all those settings and see what is switched on and what is switched off. Maybe there is a setting that WoW doesn't like or whatever - at least worth a shot (google every option to see exactly what it is).

Further, I would really recommend doing a 100% clean install of your GPU driver, like so:
    1. Uninstall driver.
    2. Restart into safe-mode. Run Driver cleaner software
    3. Repeat step 2 twice.
    4. Install the new drivers.

Ive had this issue as well..but it occurs in the first hallway of BoT, or near places with fire.

Deleted
    Won't a clean install of the drivers reset the settings anyway?