Witcher 2 review

All these thoughts reflect solely myself and no one rep MMO Champion.

Now I do not know what I expected, the first game lets just say it wasn't that great. So spoilers ahead. A nice warning before you coutinue to read then blame me for reading spoilers. Good enough pause alright.

Now you played as the exact same PC as you did from "The Witcher" this should work as an example to Bioware, who prides themselves off making creative story lines and moral choices games. While DA2 was not a direct squeal. At the start of the game you must explain to a man named Roche that you are innocent. Everyone thinks you killed a king!

It wasn't you, it was a large man dressed as a blind monk, who escaped through the window. Since Roche wont allow you to take the wrap, you leave the dungeon in two separate ways depending on what you told him. (I.e. if you told him you killed that guy, whos been were shooting down arrows) then someone requests you to sneak out. (If you didn't kill that guy) you have to fight your way out with him. Following that you go into a second town.

Let me just throw another elbow to Dragon Age 2 when we have to reuse the exact same locations for dozens of quests. Well you get to explore at least three separate towns in the Witcher 2, with each of the people having their own problems to deal with. Not all of them are boring. For example I recall their is one quest in the second camp, where this man is going to fight two people.

His honor won't allow him to back down so its your choice if you help him in the combat. In return his Father helps you with a certain quest. Not to get too deep in the story line. Yes this game does

Some things I'm impressed with:

In Heavy Rain on the PS3 they had a system where a symbol appears for a few seconds if you fail to kick it the other person hits you. In the Witcher 2 while you are brawling. No longer are you smashing buttons with your fists. You have to press the button exactly when that button flashes on screen.

Nudity, it's so nice not to be treated like a bunch of kids. In a game where you kill maybe over a hundred NPC's you would see some nudity. They are not shy unlike DA2 about showing off their goods. Before I am flamed burned "Girls boobs equal no story line" let me remind you that love, has been apart of storylines.

You can't have a great story line without some brief nudity or intense romance. While other games hide under the sheets. The Witcher 2 lets it all hang out which is great because if society can get used to the idea of sex not being something that be blocked. Maybe we can get more decent games.

10+ Year Old Account
    This isnt a review. Please learn to review. I was expecting more then just : Oh so you do this, you do that, its fun, its not fun. blablabla.

You only talk about the story. A game includes more then simply storyline and linear choices.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    You can't have a great story line without some brief nudity or intense romance.
    That's why Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Baldur's Gate Series, Knights of the Old Republic and so many others have failed, I'm sure. I kept thinking "Come ooooooon GIMLI TITS!" or "This would be so much better if Minsc and Boo did it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cairm View Post
    This isnt a review. Please learn to review. I was expecting more then just : Oh so you do this, you do that, its fun, its not fun. blablabla.

You only talk about the story. A game includes more then simply storyline and linear choices.
    First and foremost who made you the world leader on giving personal reviews. I must have missed the memo where you were declared world leader to and know everything about. I shall not even reply to your post.

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 08:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    That's why Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, the Baldur's Gate Series, Knights of the Old Republic and so many others have failed, I'm sure. I kept thinking "Come ooooooon GIMLI TITS!" or "This would be so much better if Minsc and Boo did it..."
    A great story line. Yes In Knights of the Old Republic you do not think a large portion of the game base trying slowly trying to romance the other Jedi silently over the series of many missions. And as for Bulder Gates for that, I can't reply I wasn't that old enough to play such a 90s game.

10+ Year Old Account
    First and foremost who made you the world leader on giving personal reviews. I must have missed the memo where you were declared world leader to and know everything about. I shall not even reply to your post.
    He does have a point, although the way he put it forward left much to be improved upon. There's a few things you didn't mention; the moral choices you make and how they affect the game, the crafting system, the graphics, the combat system and how they all compare to the first Witcher game. There is also the general storyline and how well it's written (or not depending on your opinion) How the towns are more "alive" then other games and other small things.

There's a lot of things you've missed that need to be mentioned in a review, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Pretty much this. Brief nudity or intense romance has NOTHING to do with a great story. Go watch HBO or something if that's what makes stories great for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    He does have a point, although the way he put it forward left much to be improved upon. There's a few things you didn't mention; the moral choices you make and how they affect the game, the crafting system, the graphics, the combat system and how they all compare to the first Witcher game. There is also the general storyline and how well it's written (or not depending on your opinion) How the towns are more "alive" then other games and other small things.

There's a lot of things you've missed that need to be mentioned in a review, in my opinion.
    Then it wouldn't be a simple review. It would be nearly a walk through of the things you already know have happened or will happen. I'm touching on the basic points wouldn't going too far into detail. As for their graphics anyone who has seen a trailer of this game obviously had an idea about it but if it will make anyone feel better I can say "Visual Graphics are Good"

I meant to hold back on purpose I can't detail the story line or how your choices impact the game without detailing a choice and the two impacts it would have in order to have a general idea. Last time I screen shotted Dragon Age 2 and placed my progress on this thread. People were upset I caused them spoilers.

I mentioned above how one moral choice impacts how you leave the dungeon. I may not detailed everything about the choice but that's the point.

Fuck you wow fan boi

Deleted

---------- Post added 2011-06-10 at 08:05 AM ----------

you just did.

Deleted
    Someone has issues.

My biggest complaint about the game:

QUIT FUCKING WHISPERING GERALT! Thank god there are sub titles.

The game should be called the Whisperer.

It's like Shy Rodney in that game.

King: Tell them what you think Witcher!
    Geralt: *whispers whispers*

honestly i've lost interest in Witcher 2 after getting to the big town(forget name right now) and doing some stuff. Its IMO not that fun of a game, and the loot is pretty horrible along with the customization aspects. Character customization is lesser than many other rpg's, lets put it that way, altho i understand they're trying to stay faithful to the Witcher book character i guess, and his apparatus. the trade skills are the basis of most loot but its extremely flawed in how much you can carry, how difficult it is to find stuff formulas/schematics, on top of how they work where they make you sick or all have drawbacks. It makes even using them or the trouble of holding on to, and collecting all of that stuff too much of a hassle.

The fighting is okay, but its at the point where it feels cheap since i'm regularly using traps to stun where i pound them down, and trying to fight other ways leads to to many reloads especially considering they put multiples ofr enemies at you where the targeting is wishy washy and you tend to jump into groups when you attack. Combat wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either.

Even the story has become very boring/bland IMO. Maybe if there were more emphasis on magic and monsters, but its more akin to something like Game of Thrones, and a lot of small talk where it just doesn't pull me in, like a book probably would.

The graphics are amazing tho, i'll definitely give it that.

All in all i think its a very overrated game that i regret purchasing, but i guess my standards are bias towards the Baldurs Gates style strategic combat, less linearity with somehwat problematic action oriented combat, and overall just more variety in customization.