Deleted

[Shadow] DoTing 101 - your tips? :D

Heyo,

Besides the fact that our DoTs should always be rolling on the targets that are up... and that clipping DoTs has been somewhat 'fixed' so that it's not a huge lost to reapply VT when there's 1-2 ticks left, etc... how do you Shadow priests make it work in practice? I'm only Shadow sometimes, which means tab-targeting and trying to remember which mob has what time left on DoTs, etc. It's not very convenient... do you have timers setup? use special UI nameplates for easier targeting? Some other cool tricks that I dunno? Or is everyone just tab-targeting and hoping for the best.

xo

Tidy Plates. They have a dps module that enables you to see your DoTs + their timer on said name plate.

Actually... the biggest help I had found was ElvUI. It has a function so that when you hit "v" and there are tons of mobs it orders their nameplates neatly and shows what dots they have and the duration left right on the nameplate. In addition you can click the nameplate itself to change targets. Super sexy. It is also extremely light on the memory usage, which is kind of amazing for all the UI does but is also not the case with other addons that I have seen out there.

I second Tidy Plates (probably included in ElvUI, would be my guess). I use nameplates a lot and this is really a great functionality to have at a glance, and be able to hide it when you don't/can't use them. I've also got ForteXorcist but honestly, I find myself looking at nameplates or my target and focus much more than at those times, so I'm going to get rid of them soon. I don't know yet how it'll work, but someone recommended Shadowtimers as well, though I'm not sure how it'll work for multiple targets yet as I haven't installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Actually... the biggest help I had found was ElvUI. It has a function so that when you hit "v" and there are tons of mobs it orders their nameplates neatly and shows what dots they have and the duration left right on the nameplate. In addition you can click the nameplate itself to change targets. Super sexy. It is also extremely light on the memory usage, which is kind of amazing for all the UI does but is also not the case with other addons that I have seen out there.
    Does this work like tidy plates where you get the plates rearranging themselves like a big freaking mess when mobs move or you move your camera? That makes me turn off tidy plates no-stacking feature - since you can click through to semi-reliably get to hidden nameplates when they stack and they don't move around like a bunch of angry bees.

If not, I need to get this UI pack prompt-o.

OT: My recommendation is Tidy Plates + ForteXorcist + ShadowTimers.

Tidy Plates is such a huge improvement over default name plates it's not even funny. You can see clearly your dot durations on name plates. It's slightly buggy in that every now and then they don't appear but this doesn't diminish the usefulness in the slightest.

ForteXorcist is nice. For myself, I just turn off everything except my DoT timers. It's great on fights like, say, Nefarian or V&T where you have two static targets to DoT and the name plates are hard to watch at the same time. This is mainly when I use it. Single target or > 2 targets it's actually not that useful to me. The cooldown bar from FX is nicer than most others I've found as well. (There are standalone mods that do this to - the little bar where your cooldown icons move across a logarithmic time scale towards 0 - it also monitors trinkets by default, great for seeing when to expect TM to proc again, at minimum)

ShadowTimers is great first of all for single target fights, as it includes the DoT timers in the most readable fashion possible. It also conveniently shows your Shadow Orbs, Empower Shadows timer, and Evangelism stacks, all in one horizontal bar with 6 big icons. I really like it.

I've seen but never tried ElvUI. However, my current UI needs a lot of work, it's something I need to get around to. Might try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shartadin View Post
    Does this work like tidy plates where you get the plates rearranging themselves like a big freaking mess when mobs move or you move your camera? That makes me turn off tidy plates no-stacking feature - since you can click through to semi-reliably get to hidden nameplates when they stack and they don't move around like a bunch of angry bees.
    That is actually the exact reason I hated Tidy plates. When the mobs are spread out and you are multidotting them the plate appears just above the mobs heads like this. I don't think I have screenie for something like the whelps on halfus, but I'll check when I get home. Basically for something like the whelps it stacks all the nameplates into a neat column where you can easily see all the nameplates, dots and durations, and %of health (which makes it easier to spot which ones to finish off with sw: death.

ps-that screen was my first run of elvui and I quickly put it together before raid, so don't judge it too harshly Wanted to show you what the nameplates looked like though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    That is actually the exact reason I hated Tidy plates. When the mobs are spread out and you are multidotting them the plate appears just above the mobs heads like this. I don't think I have screenie for something like the whelps on halfus, but I'll check when I get home. Basically for something like the whelps it stacks all the nameplates into a neat column where you can easily see all the nameplates, dots and durations, and %of health (which makes it easier to spot which ones to finish off with sw: death.

ps-that screen was my first run of elvui and I quickly put it together before raid, so don't judge it too harshly Wanted to show you what the nameplates looked like though.
    That's awesome. Thanks. I think I'll definitely be switching. I've been using SpartanUI, but it's slow to update, and has a lot of bugs, since the original author abandoned it and it's been being updated sporadically by a user of the UI in his free time. Been wanting to change.

Other tips for multidotting: Best for 2-4 mobs with high health. They live long enough for your DoTs to actually keep rolling, so it's more mana efficient than MS/MB spam. 5+ mobs you should Mind Sear. Getting TP or the ui Arlee mentioned is good for click targetting (tab targetting is unreliable) as well.

DoTing and Procs: Refresh whenever the damage bonus for your DoTs is greater than the damage loss from MF tics over the refresh cast time is higher. For DP, it's usually worth it because you also get Imp DP damage, it's a very long DoT duration, and it costs only 1 GCD of MF tics to cast. VT has a longer cast time and shorter duration, so actually doing the math is worth it. VT lasts 15 seconds, so you calculate the damage for either 1 refresh (a VT of 15 seconds, regardless of when the VT is refreshed) or for VT + duration of the proc - reaction time (refreshing VT at the start of the proc and again at the end of the proc, accounting for reacting to the proc). For example, with a DMC: Volcano proc, the proc duration is 12 seconds, so if you refreshed VT twice, the duration of the empowered VT is 15 + 12 - 1 sec reaction time (maybe), because unless you're psychic, you're not going to cast VT so that it lands right before DMC: V procs. You can get up to maybe 27 seconds if you're a robot, but 25 seconds is probably more realistic. Compare the extra damage VT does over the ~25 seconds to the MF damage lost during 2 VT casts (varies by haste level and gear, so do your own math). If VT does more damage, refresh twice. If it doesn't, check how much damage 1 refresh (at any time during the proc) does, but without worrying about reacting time. If it takes you 12 seconds to notice a proc, you suck at shadow. If VT extra damage is higher than MF for 1 refresh, do it, if not, never go our of your way to refresh early during that particular proc. Just refresh like you normally would if the proc wasn't even there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    Power Torrent, Volcano and Theralion proc'ed, dots just refreshed. Everyone dies. Just a tank and a boss with around 200k hp. Everyone in vt yells "omg we failed omg omg" and you "don't worry amigos, my dots are steamrolling!". Boss dies while you'd say "Enjoy your loots" with a lot of purple awesomness spilling thru your voice. Just happend yesterday.

Seriously, i thought i'd reroll warlock for 4.2, but that was the sign that i'm purple inside and i can't reroll. never.