Is this a decent gaming rig?

Thinking of replacing my 2 year old system with a dell studio XPS

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    1.5TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics

Can i run wow or rift in ultra settings without any performance issues with a setup like that?

15+ Year Old Account
    doubtful. you will need to spend a lot more on a dell than that (expect ~200-300 more for a decent video card)

look for a gtx 560 ti, gtx 570, radeon 6950. a radeon 6870 might do the job well enough
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Im using a radeon 5750 and can run wow with ultra settings. Rift I was also able to run on max settings, im also using 32 bit win7 so thats only 3.25gb able to be used.

You can definitely run WoW on ultra with those settings, unless you got a really high res monitor. In Rift however, you won't. You might be able to run it with a mix between medium/high.

With what for me personally is an enjoyable framerate that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Muraza View Post
    Im using a radeon 5750 and can run wow with ultra settings. Rift I was also able to run on max settings, im also using 32 bit win7 so thats only 3.25gb able to be used.
    What resolution, whats your cpu, shadow max, and how much fps?

But dont buy a pre made build it yourself. Its easy and cheaper + you can pick the parts your really need
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur View Post
    But dont buy a pre made build it yourself. Its easy and cheaper + you can pick the parts your really need
    I would if i wasnt, technically challenged lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thermal View Post
    I would if i wasnt, technically challenged lol
    Lots of sites: (EG www.novatech.co.uk) Will pre-build and test a custom machine for you, (PC or laptop) for a small fee £60 (~70 euro)in this case.

Don't think that becuase it'd not offered on their front page, that they don't do it. always talk to their live chat/pre sales team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thermal View Post
    Can i run wow or rift in ultra settings without any performance issues with a setup like that?
    Wow? Ultra will be playable +30 fps in ANY situation.

Rift? I doubt it. My rig can run rift Absolutely everything maxed at around 35 fps in citys and soloing/killing rifts. Rift is GPU heavy mostly in that kind of situations am i right? So with this setup i can imagine i would need to drop to high or something for raiding and such, so no you cant run rift on ultra im afraid with that GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur View Post
    What resolution, whats your cpu, shadow max, and how much fps?

1440x900 AMD Phenom Black 550 x2 shadows on good I believe everything else on ultra. >:E

Quote Originally Posted by Muraza View Post
    1440x900 AMD Phenom Black 550 x2 shadows on good I believe everything else on ultra. >:E
    Then it isn't Ultra, and it's a low resolution. Full shadows and 1920x1080, then come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Then it isn't Ultra, and it's a low resolution. Full shadows and 1920x1080, then come back.
    Umm if the WoW client still says Ultra... it's Ultra... Resolution has little to do with it if thats his/her native resolution, which isn't uncommon on laptop's. And Shadow's is just a waste....It serves no purpose other than e-peen stroking...

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Umm if the WoW client still says Ultra... it's Ultra... Resolution has little to do with it if thats his/her native resolution, which isn't uncommon on laptop's. And Shadow's is just a waste....It serves no purpose other than e-peen stroking...
    But lowering shadows is lowering it to custom, not ultra.
    As for resolution, 1920x1080 is 2 073 600 pixels. One of the more common resolutions found in, say, laptops, is 1366x768, which is 1 049 088. Which means that 1080p is twice as many pixels (almost), and also twice as demanding. Meaning that I'm being very condescending toward his build. True, 1440x900 isn't half of 1080p, it's slightly more, but it's still faar less demanding for a system than 1080p full ultra.

Heck, most people can run full ultra at 800x600.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    But lowering shadows is lowering it to custom, not ultra.
    As for resolution, 1920x1080 is 2 073 600 pixels. One of the more common resolutions found in, say, laptops, is 1366x768, which is 1 049 088. Which means that 1080p is twice as many pixels (almost), and also twice as demanding. Meaning that I'm being very condescending toward his build. True, 1440x900 isn't half of 1080p, it's slightly more, but it's still faar less demanding for a system than 1080p full ultra.

Heck, most people can run full ultra at 800x600.
    Right but most people CAN'T run 1920x1080 at all... regardless of other settings.

Right but most people CAN'T run 1920x1080 at all... regardless of other settings.
    I'm well aware of how native-resolution works.
    But that does not change my opinion of how people with lower resolutions don't count; Unless specified, 1920x1080.
    1440x900 simply isn't demanding.

OP why would look at an i7-2600 and get a cheap budget GPU? Even if you could run it on ultra, you would be pointlessly bottlenecking yourself.
    Last edited by ComradeNorton; 2011-06-14 at 02:17 PM.
    i5 2500k, GTX 660Ti , Asrock Z68 Pro3-M, 8GB RAM

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeNorton View Post
    OP why would look at an i7-2600 and get a cheap budget GPU? Even if you could run it on ultra, you would be pointless bottlenecking yourself.
    Becuase the GPU is much easier to replace/upgrade at a later date when more funds become available.

Becuase the GPU is much easier to replace/upgrade at a later date when more funds become available.
    If it's a money problem it would make sense to get an i5 2500k and use the money you saved on a better GPU. It's not like you need an i7 for WoW and Rift.
    i5 2500k, GTX 660Ti , Asrock Z68 Pro3-M, 8GB RAM

1080p is overkill for laptops. Not only will you need a much more powerful graphics card to run maxed games on that res but you will also have problems with overheating.