Poll: Which version?

10+ Year Old Account

Finish Reload vs Interrupt and Shoot

I'm currently working on an FPS for a game design class and I'm stuck on how I want to implement reloading. I can do it in one of two ways by either
    A.) Finish reloading before allowing players to shoot.
    or
    B.) Players may interrupt the reloading process and continue firing.

I currently have version A already implemented, but it would take like less than 5 minutes to switch it over to version B. I'm leaning towards version B because I implemented the actual reloading as 1 shot every .2 seconds as opposed to say switching out a clip, but I could always change that as well to fit better as well.

Anyway, I was just looking for some opinions on which people prefer when they play games.

Edit: Poll has been added.

If its going for a realistic type shooting A otherwise i think B

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're making a game where every weapon is an M1 Garand, B is the only realistic option.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

Definitely go with B. Also allow the actual reload to finish a short (maybe .3 seconds) time before the animation finishes. It adds a small amount of skill to canceling a reload after it has occured, but before the animation has finished. Was one of those things back in Halo that separated the really good players from the decent players.

I guess it depends on the type of gun it's supposed to be. Thanks to Doom 2's SSG I tend to gravitate towards shotguns, and in Counterstrike (as one of countless examples), the shotguns can hold multiple shells per "clip". If you were willing to deal with a slower rate of fire, you could continuously pop in one shell and fire it off before replacing it, and sometimes you just needed that ninth round whether than wait on rounds 9-16.

Energy type weapons work well with option B, too. Drain battery while firing, pause firing to let battery recharge over time.

For rifles and pistols rocking magazines, or anything belt-fed, the all or nothing reload is the only option that makes sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between over here and over there
    the only way you can get away with interrupting reloading to fire would be if you reload before the ammo in the magazine hits zero, and therefore you still have a round in the chamber.

only one round, mind you

Deleted
    Totally depends on the type of gun. For automated assault firles the options would be (on changing clip).
    Interrupt changing clip and shoot 1 bullet from cartdirge chamber (RL it would be possible to continue changing clip and shoot 1 at the same time, would require reload after)
    Insert old clip and shoot ->followed by changing clip and reload (clip shot empty)
    Insert new clip and shoot -> no reload needed (clip not shot empty)
    Insert new clip and reload if shot empty.

Deleted
    Depends on the weapons used.
    Revolvers and some old carabines have no problem with partial reloading.

Make some weapons able to patial reload others not. Its a cheap way to balance weapons. Making the better ones more pain to reload.

Deleted
    If its a clip then use A, of its single rounds like a shotgun use B. Thats how Killing floor does it and its awesome.

I like either style and adapt to both. The one I prefer is reload canceling. As in sprint/shoot/grenade/what have you cancels the reload.

I also like to mast reload animation canceling to shave off those tasty milliseconds before I can perform an action.

Doesn't make much sense if you could stop it midway. I don't think you can fire without a magazine.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

If it's a bolt action or some kind of shotgun, go with B, otherwise leave it with A but maybe let players double switch their weapons to cancel the reload manually

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jotad4 View Post
    Doesn't make much sense if you could stop it midway. I don't think you can fire without a magazine.
    You can fire that one shot that is in the chamber if you swap magazines while there's still bullets left in the old one.