10+ Year Old Account

Problem with outdated addons

Hello programming-savvy folks.

To my understanding, something in the way addons are coded got changed in 4.1 which caused problems for addons that weren't edited. I've been told it has something to do with the combat log, but that's as far as my own knowledge goes. Anyway, to the point. I use a UI that I built myself from lone addons, not any packs or pre-made UI. With time, some project have stopped and I've kept using addons even though they haven't been updated. This has worked until 4.1, I've found myself disconnecting a lot. My internet connection is rock solid, never notice anything on voice comms or web browsers etc., solely WoW. I've pretty much come to the point that my issue is one or more outdated addons. I even got to the point where I re-installed my client entirely. Some of the addons WoW show as outdated are vital for my game, because I haven't been able to find replacements or fan-made fixes for them, therein lies the problem.

So I ask of you, if you could enlighten me on some temporary fixes or good replacements to addons I haven't been able to find myself yet.

My outdated addons are: Buttonfacade, Buttonfacade: Caith, HideBlizz (pitbull function for this doesn't seem to work well), MailGet2, Satrina Buff Frames, TipTac.

The one addon I can't possibly live without is SBF, but I've been told by others it isn't affected by this recent change that broke a lot of addons. However, I won't take it as fact until I get solid answers from here.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Deleted
    ButtonFacade and SBF are working perfectly fine at least. Are you sure that all your addons are up to date?

Your problem is that they changed how the combatlog works, so the addons disconnecting you are connected to that. Damage Meter, Combat Text, etc. addons are what you need to update.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, only the ones I listed show up as out of date on the WoW character selection screen. Thanks for assuring me those two work at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The only coding change was for combat-log addons. Those addons that you listed were not affected by the coding change.

WoW just calls them out of date because the authors haven't changed one line in one file that tells WoW which client version the addon was written for. I do not use MailGet or HideBlizz, but all the other addons I DO use, and they work fine.

Are you sure these are the only ones? They work fine with 4.1 (only one where I am unsure is Satrina as I do not use this one myselves, I use Aura Frames, BTW, if you look for an equivalent Addon still in development check Aura Frames or Raven).

Candidates for the problems usually are:

- Damagemeters
    - Buff/Debuff Addon (like Satrina, note there is a 4.1-compatible update of Satrina somewhere)
    - Scrolling Combat Log Addons
    - Bossmods
    - Anything else reading out the Combat log (an extra parameter was added).

If an Addon contains the line self:RegisterEvent("COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED") this WILL need updating to 4.1, not 100% sure if this line always exists, if the COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED can only be handled if this line is present. The parameter added is named hideCaster, if this is present (though the addon-developer might choose to give it a different name, or even a _ at it's place) then the addon is already adapted.

Deleted
    Needs to exist.