Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

new sega console?

do you think we will ever see a new sega console? or are the big 3 and only the big 3 here to stay.

Doubtful. Way too many consoles currently on the market. Another would just water it down. Many people never grew up with Sega consoles as they were too young or not born yet so I think this generation would be hard pressed to let go of there Xbox's and PS3's. JMO. Besides does the company even have the man power and money to create a new system? I would think they have downsized quite a lot over the years seeing as they just make games.

But I'd love if they made one. I was a Sega fan growing up so I'd jump on board.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm a person can hope

It would be prohibitively expensive for SEGA to get back into the console market, I imagine, which is already saturated as it is with 3 major competitors.

They've seemingly given up the console market and focused on software and other electronic devices unrelated to console gaming. They've had a fair amount of success in their business after giving up making consoles, so I doubt they're going to do so again.

Genesis.. those where the times...

But correct me if wrong, but wasn't sega a part of sony back in the sega consoles days? I mights just mixing things up through

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post

But correct me if wrong, but wasn't sega a part of sony back in the sega consoles days? I mights just mixing things up through
    Don't thinks so. It was the Playstation that crushed the saturn and Playstation 2 that whooped the Dreamcast and ultimately made Sega pull out of the console market.

Deleted

You're messing things up...
    The only thing Sega had and has with Sony is their games...

Doubtful considering they were competing head to head. There wasn't a buyout or anything and can't really remember anything of the sort. Sega and Nintendo are pretty close now but Sega is still free to make games for all systems.

I would jump at a Sega console or handheld if they did but can't see that happening. I remember the Sega Nomad was so awesome. A handheld sega genesis blew the original gameboy out of the water. I never owned a Saturn. Had N64 during that time but had a dreamcast and thought it was the best system out there. Completely caught off guard when they pulled the plug.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sega's fall had to do with lack of 3rd party support Nintendo is the same the only reason they haven't fallen is because of the hand held market. When the Dreamcast fell Sega didn't have any other thing to make money on like Nintendo did or does now. Look if you take gameboy advance and DS out of the picture Nintendo is making Mario for PS3 and 360.

OT: I would buy a Sega console before I bought a Nintendo console but ill take a DS over any consoles

10+ Year Old Account
    I would just like Sega to start making some follow ups to their older series. Like a new Comic Zone, Toe Jam and Earl, Jet Set Radio and Ecco. Also Sega released an arcade pack of two light gun games on Wii. They need to do more of that. I would trade one of my kidneys for a Wii port of The Ocean Hunter and Lets Go Jungle.

wait a few years and nintendo will fall to the same fate as Sega, and will simply develop games for other consoles, or nintendo will stay in the handheld market only

on that note, it's really doubtful sega will ever return with a new console

Greetings!

I'm not going to place any Console on the market

Best Regards

SEGAsik

@ playstation ties, remember that the original playstation prototype had the name "nintendo" on it...

from wiki:

The console's origins date back to 1986 where it was originally a joint project between Nintendo and Sony to create a CD-ROM for the Super Famicom/SNES console.[13]

The PlayStation made its debut at the Consumer Electronics Show in June 1991 when Sony revealed its console, a Super Famicom/SNES with a built-in CD-ROM drive (that incorporated Green Book technology or CDi). However, a day after the announcement at CES, Nintendo announced that it would be breaking its partnership with Sony, opting to go with Philips instead but using the same technology.[14]

The deal was broken by Nintendo after they were unable to come to an agreement on how revenue would be split between the two companies.

The breaking of the partnership infuriated Sony President Norio Ohga, who responded by appointing Kutaragi with the responsibility of developing of the PlayStation project to rival Nintendo.[14]
    Last edited by lukz; 2011-06-11 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Sega's fall had to do with lack of 3rd party support Nintendo is the same the only reason they haven't fallen is because of the hand held market. When the Dreamcast fell Sega didn't have any other thing to make money on like Nintendo did or does now. Look if you take gameboy advance and DS out of the picture Nintendo is making Mario for PS3 and 360.

OT: I would buy a Sega console before I bought a Nintendo console but ill take a DS over any consoles
    Why on earth would you think that? Nintendo has sold more consoles than anyone else this generation, and all of them have been sold at a profit:

Worldwide sales figures
    Wii – 86.01 million as of 31 March 2011
    Xbox 360 – 55 million as of 4 June 2011
    PlayStation 3 – 50 million as of 31 March 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console...ales_figures_5

Handhelds may have helped them when the GC wasn't a huge success but even then they sold nearly as many as the XBox and there was never a hint that they were struggling financially.

doubt they have enough money for it. sony took like 3 years to start making profits from selling the current gen consoles.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    When they can actually start making decent games again then perhaps they can go back to making consoles.

It will never happens.
    And I don't want it to happens. We already have 3 freaking consol... That's enough.
    I'd actually like to see Xbox + PS3 matching together

I'd love to see it and had it not been for the SEGA implosion during the development of the SEGA Saturn, the DreamCast might have actually lived long enough to earn it's place. The PS2 didn't had to fight it at all, SEGA killed it before Sony ever had a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    I'd love to see it and had it not been for the SEGA implosion during the development of the SEGA Saturn, the DreamCast might have actually lived long enough to earn it's place. The PS2 didn't had to fight it at all, SEGA killed it before Sony ever had a chance.
    Actually, the biggest issue came when the initial shipment of Dreamcasts were defective. Over 1 million units had faulty video cards that would overheat quickly and short out. SEGA found this out immediately, but was unable to effectively communicate the problem to their customers. The result was a bunch of really pissed people that wanted their money back. SEGA addressed the problem with the second and third model types, but by that point no one really cared anymore because the PS2 launch was right around the corner. Its almost similar to what happened with Microsoft and the RRoD problem with initial launch Xbox 360s. No one doubts that Microsoft did lose customers when the problem happened, but Microsoft was also able to effectively deal with it.

Back to the topic, I would totally jizz if I heard a Dreamcast 2 announced. Gief me anoter Phantasy Star Online, anoter Alienfront Online, and every single one of the fighters remade (SFIII: Third Strike, Capcom vs SNK 1/2, Marvel vs Capcom 1/2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, etc.) That console was THE DAMN CONSOLE for competitive fighters.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.