Poll: 3DS OR GPU

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Birthday help. 3ds or new GPU

Simple question. Birthday just passed yesterday. Have 200 dollars and GF is willing to spend another 50. Either want a 3DS because the old ds I have doesn't support 128bit WiFi and I just got pokemon black and would like WiFi.

Or a new GPU for my computer. I currently have an XFX 4300/4500 HR 1 Gb 600mhrz. Was looking at an XFX 6870 900Mhrz 1gb DDR5 on new egg with the shogun 2 bundle. I just don't know if I can crossfireX with my old card because the list on ATI's site only lists up to the 5800 series and I would want to xfire if I was up grading now.

My only other choice witch I wouldn't be allowed to have is a new cat, snake or ferret. I alredy have a cat and a bearded dragon and people in my house Won't let me have another pet.

So what says mmo champion. 3DS or GPU.

15+ Year Old Account
    personally i see a 3ds as a waste of money, so i'd say a new gpu

What's the rest of your computer's specs? ovo

Honestly man, I'd go with a 3DS. I just picked mine up two days ago and it has been a blast. Admittedly, there isn't a lot of strong software for it at the moment, but that will all change in the coming months. They've already announced; StarFox64 3D, Super Mario 3D, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, Super Smash Bros., Resident Evil: Revelations, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Mario Kart 3DS. Also, Super Street Fighter IV 3DS is probably the best port of a fighting game to a handheld that I've ever played. Kicking shoto-scrubass on the go with Dan Hibiki? Yes, please.

EDIT: And you can never go wrong with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Don't get the 3DS yet, the current games ATM for it are rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    What's the rest of your computer's specs? ovo
    AMD AM3 3.2Ghrz quad core
    8 gb gskills ddr3 RAM
    Antec earth watts 750 psu.

Only reason I am considdering the GPU is to be ready for skyrim in November wow and any other games I play run great accept SC 2 witch just slows me to a crawl in the campagine in game it runs pretty good.

Also can't change the security on my router brother on law refuses to set it below 128 bit ds only supports 16, 32 bit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverKnight View Post
    8 gb gskills ddr3 RAM

Only reason I am considdering the GPU is to be ready for skyrim in November wow and any other games I play run great accept SC 2 witch just slows me to a crawl in the campagine in game it runs pretty good.

Also can't change the security on my router brother on law refuses to set it below 128 bit ds only supports 16, 32 bit
    Thats not a bad PC, get a new GPU to compliment it.

---------- Post added 2011-06-11 at 04:15 PM ----------

8 gb gskills ddr3 RAM

very sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    Honestly man, I'd go with a 3DS. I just picked mine up two days ago and it has been a blast. Admittedly, there isn't a lot of strong software for it at the moment, but that will all change in the coming months. They've already announced; StarFox64 3D, Super Mario 3D, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, Super Smash Bros., Resident Evil: Revelations, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Mario Kart 3DS. Also, Super Street Fighter IV 3DS is probably the best port of a fighting game to a handheld that I've ever played. Kicking shoto-scrubass on the go with Dan Hibiki? Yes, please.

EDIT: And you can never go wrong with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D.
    Zelda will make the console for me. I only like my psp for symphony of the night and final fantasy tatics. Ocarina would make all of my favorite games portable

Well you have Ocarina of Time coming out next week for the 3DS, which will be the first actual 3DS game I buy. However, if you're either not into Zelda or are just sick of OoT, then it may not be worth it to get right now. Then there's supposed to be a ton more good games coming out later this year. At least at E3 every 3DS game they talked about they said holiday 2011. Someone was also telling me about Cave Story on the 3DS which is supposed to be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 3DS is a long-term investment option - as it is showing that it will have a slow ramp up time not unlike the original DS.

A New GPU is a short-term investment unless you *really* put money into it, far more than a 3DS costs. Of course, if your the type that runs with a single card for 2 year intervals this might be a good option for you.

Bad idea to put your money in the hands of the fine people of MMOC-forums though!

The 3DS is pretty cool, recently it gained 2 new features, the Internet browser and Eshop. But you may want to look at the games before you buy one

I'd go with GPU.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a DS/DSi, go for a gpu. I have a nintendo 3DS, and its not wourth the money for the 3D efects.
    If you dont have a DS, go for the DS.
    (wrote after 10 beers, so sorry for my engilsh)

Deleted
    3DS is something I've been considering lately, but just like it's mentioned, it doesn't have decent games yet.
    (Darn you Nintendo for making pokemon DS only, in before Super Pokémon Scramble!).

I think the GPU you in your PC could get you further, personally.

I'd put that money in the bank and wait to see what gets announced for the 3DS in the next few months.
    White Knights on mmo-champion.com forums: Able to troll with no repercussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with the 3DS, gpu prices might go down a bit by the time Skyrim's released. But then again, same might go true for the 3DS, by the time it gets its game library buffed.

Still, I'd go for the 3DS.

Looks like I am going with a GPU. I remembered Nintendo has those usb WiFi access points so I am gonna try and find one of those on the cheap for my ds fat. So an XFX 6870 maybe a 6950 if I come into a few more dollars. Gonna hold off a day or so though gonna try and convince family to let me have another pet. I am self suffecient btw its just cheaper rent at home by far new jersey is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Don't get the 3DS yet, the current games ATM for it are rubbish.
    Ocarina of time comes out this week

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    Then he can buy the 3DS. A good compromise might be to run 32bit encryption and a mac filter. This will give you security by only allowing the physical addresses (MAC address) of the devices you include in the filter to connect. There is still the potential for an attacker to spoof the mac address, but honestly if someone is out to get you that hardcore, even 128 bit encryption won't save you.

Edit: don't base your decision on a poll that you posted on the fan forum of a PC game on whether to choose a PC upgrade or a handheld console.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990