Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

silent GPU cooling

Hey guys,
    I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to GPUs, and wanted to ask if any of you have, have made experiences, or even know the viability of passive GPU cooling in current (mid- to high end) graphic cards.
    I'm just checking the possibilities for my future PC (to come in a few months) to be extra noiseless. Not above all, but I like it to be as low noise as possible. So if passive wasn't viable (Googling has brought only outdated results, so I suspect that it maybe isn't), this thread would be about super-low noise ways of GPU (and also CPU and case) cooling.

EDIT: this thread is now about GPU coolers with large fans / generally silent ones since passive cooling doesn't seem to be an option.
    Last edited by mmocdd8e41448a; 2011-07-09 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    Hey guys,
    the viability of passive GPU cooling in current (mid- to high end) graphic cards.
    To my knowledge, there is no viability after the very bottom end. As you move higher in GPU quality, the more power it draws, and therefore the more heat it produces. You need at least a fan and a heatsink on mid-range to high GPU.
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

There's a fanless HD5770 and a GTS450, I don't think I've seen a passive HD6xxx or GTX5xx series (yet?).
    Moonkin maybe looking for raiding guild.
    Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Abit IP35 Pro | 8GB DDR2 | XFX GTX 260 | Crucial C300 128GB | Asus Xonar STX | Corsair 550VX | Dell U3011 | IBM Model M | Razer Naga

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Havermeyer View Post
    There's a fanless HD5770 and a GTS450, I don't think I've seen a passive HD6xxx or GTX5xx series (yet?).
    If i remember correctly, i saw 6870/6770 as passive in techpowerups site few days ago.

edit: maybe week or week and a half ago.

Google wonders: http://www.yousaytoo.com/gigabyte-un...passive/776744

But why would you want to get low-mid end GPU when you can get like 6950 and it won't make that much noise. Is it going to be some kind of HTPC?
    Last edited by mmoc9e2a5e4f9c; 2011-06-11 at 09:21 PM.

Powercolor is getting ready to release a Radeon 6850 with a huge heatsink/no fan.

Currently the fastest ones I believe are the Gigabyte Silent Cell 5770 and Powercolor Green 5750.

The point really isn't cooling without a fan. The point is getting away with using larger standard 120mm+ fans for cooling rather than depending on proprietary or noisy 60-80mm ones that are impossible to replace when dead.

In nicer cases, there might be one or two 120mm fans right in the path of the GPU heatsink fins which make these fanless high power GPU's viable.

lol at the "won't make that much noise" comment about the 6950.

Deleted
    ok, thanks for all the input.
    Since I don't want a low-end GPU, this thread is now about GPU coolers with large fans / generally silent ones.
    I'm planning the system to have large case fans and probably one of those close-circuit liquid CPU coolers, and it would be great if the GPU would fit into that noise profile, also at high workload.

MSI Twin Frozr series cards are probably your best bet for high performance and low-ish noise.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Take a look at Coolit Omni closed loop GPU coolers.

The product was canceled at 400/5000 series, but the GTX480 versions fit a GTX580 GPU.

It comes with a 120MM radiator + fan. But you can easily swap out the stock fan.

---------- Post added 2011-06-11 at 11:05 PM ----------

Stumbled across this:

http://www3.pny.com/GTX-580-Liquid-C...P3015C470.aspx

PNY GTX580 closed loop liquid cooled.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    Bumping this thread.

Closed Circuit GPU cooler systems are not really an option, two closed circuits (gpu/cpu) would feel awkward, I could get a full liquid system then

Am I right assuming that for air-cooled graphics cards, more fans can generally be equalled to lower noise?

Is there much of a difference (in noise and cooling capacity, as that affects fan speed and therefore noise) in the choice of manufacturer?
    (not necessarily only nVidia vs ATI cards, more like MSI vs Asus vs XFX etc.)

Bumping this thread.

Closed Circuit GPU cooler systems are not really an option, two closed circuits (gpu/cpu) would feel awkward, I could get a full liquid system then

Am I right assuming that for air-cooled graphics cards, more fans can generally be equalled to lower noise?

Is there much of a difference (in noise and cooling capacity, as that affects fan speed and therefore noise) in the choice of manufacturer?
    Please refrain from bumping.

If you bother replacing the stock/aftermarket fans on your GPUs, you would be better off with a custom watercooler setup to begin with. I mean, why not do it right?

My Asus Direct CU II Radeon HD 6970 is quite silent though. Does kill me at 100%. Seriously.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, there is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Please refrain from bumping.

If you bother replacing the stock/aftermarket fans on your GPUs, you would be better off with a custom watercooler setup to begin with. I mean, why not do it right?

My Asus Direct CU II Radeon HD 6970 is quite silent though. Does kill me at 100%. Seriously.
    Well I didn't only bump it with a "/bump", at least.

I don't think about changing the fans on a GPU, I'm just wondering which gpu manufacturer's cooling solutions are better. I do not plan on custom water cooling.

---------- Post added 2011-07-08 at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Yes, there is.
    then which would you recommend?

15+ Year Old Account
    then which would you recommend?
    Did not recommend anything due to lack of personal experience but I'll second vesseblah's and Synthaxx recommendation on twin frozr II / III design. Though I think you should pick a model or price range first for your card and move on from there, a lot of manufacturers have their own quiet series of cards and they are often visibly addvertised

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Yeah, Palit advertise theirs as quiet and it's as noisy as the stock one at full. Not particularly quiet in idle either.
    Heh, didn't mean buy purely based on addvertisement alone but rather like, pick a model, check the provided cooling options and manufacturers, check reviews of those, ask others opinions, buy o_o

Deleted
    I was generally looking for an advice what manufacturers are known for good quality silent cooling on their gpu, which card is actually below it isn't quite decided yet. Price range would be like $200-250.

Also I was wondering about the Scythe Musashi, if it's worth the upgrade and if it is available for up-to-date cards. Maybe it would destroy the budget a bit, but I want to check if it would be an option.

I was generally looking for an advice what manufacturers are known for good quality silent cooling on their gpu, which card is actually below it isn't quite decided yet. Price range would be like $200-250.
    MSI GTX560ti Twin Frozr II is almost certainly best card for your budget if you want it silent. You can not find more quieter/cooler aftermarket air cooler and still get decent power for the card if you spend $50-100 for the heatsink.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Even the Twin Frozers will get pretty loud under full load. I really wouldn't call them silent.
    Maybe take a look at some aftermarket coolers like the Thermalright Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Even the Twin Frozers will get pretty loud under full load. I really wouldn't call them silent.
    Maybe take a look at some aftermarket coolers like the Thermalright Shaman.
    According to various reviews I went through, Thermalright Shaman is not particularily quiet, it's just good at cooling when you OC the card. It also costs way too much for $200-250 budget OP wanted.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gelid Icy Vision is pretty quiet. I installed one on a GTX 470 and it keeps it under 60C and the fans don't even spin up very high.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    Thanks for the input on that so far - the budget doesn't necessarily matter (concerning aftermarket coolers etc), I also want the overview of what's there, maybe I'll stretch it then