Demonology and Metamorphosis.

So I was fiddling around with a Demonology spec because Destruction was getting old for me, and I wanted to know a couple of things on the functionings in 5 mans and beyond.
    (This is not a how-to-play topic, btw, I can look at the guides for that)

1) How important is Metamorphosis to the rotation in terms of usage? I mean, I know to pop it on bosses, and whenever it's off cooldown after that, but what about trash? Will my single target dps hit rock bottom if I don't press it on something other than bosses? I try not to pop it on trash so that I will have it for sure on bosses. Will my dps suffer greatly from that?

2) If I pop Metamorphosis on a boss, and it's off cooldown at say 40%, should I pop it immediately or save it til 25% for Decimation?

3) Is using the Imp over the Succubus on fights where a melee pet can't get into range a significant dps loss? My thought on this were, that the imp has a much longer range than the Succubus, and a better Demon Soul, so I'll have a good Demon Soul, and be guaranteed to hit it, or will the Succubus's shorter range not be an issue for the most part?

4) What's the most efficient way to use Demonic Leap? I've found it to be incredibly spastic and unpredictable in terms of hitting people, but it can easily get me into range of a boss so that I can hit him with Immolation Aura. Would that be the best use for it aside from escaping certain mechanics?

5) This one is rather specific, but on Magmaw, I try to help aoe'ing the adds down, but all I have that's not melee-ranged is Rain of Fire. If I were to send my Felguard on the parasites and Felstorm, would bad things happen?

6) When I get spellpower procs, or Metamorphosis, should I re-apply Immolate, or will Hand of Gul'dan's refresh give Immolate give it benifit of all the buffs that I have active on me?

Thanks in advance for any help that might be provided, and sorry if these questions have been asked before.

1) Metamorphosis is very important, try to combine it w/ other cooldowns like trinkets and demon soul to gain the most from it. It is important to have it for bosses, and usually trash isn't too challenging so you wouldn't want to use it the pull before a boss, but the cd isn't tooo long.

2) This one really depends, is there a burn phase w/ more damage? Is demon soul or a trinket proc/cd also going to come up? Will you get a 3rd usage if you use it right away? If you're only going to get 2 uses in then yes save it for decimation and demon soul. If you can sneak in a 3rd then probably go immediately.

3) I'm pretty sure that since 4.1 Felhunter is the best single target pet, not Succubus (I only use Demo for AoE). I think the melee range isn't really a huge issue for the majority of fights. Clearly Felguard is the pet of choice for AoE.

4) What you said here is spot on, make sure Immo Aura is hitting the boss. If you're AoE'ing and might pull threat it can be a nice stun to let the tank pull back the mobs.

5) Felstorm is the best way you can help, also the Felgaurd's normal cleave will do well, and you can stay focused on the big adds in heroic or Magmaw in normal.

6) Hand of Guldan will refresh Immolate as if you had recast it.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Trash is trash. Use if if you want, it's up to you. Just make sure it's going to be off cooldown once you reach a boss - for this reason I only use Meta on trash if it's going badly.

2) In 5 mans, once the boss is at 40%, if you pop meta, you'll still be in it at 25%. Decimation isn't close to what it used to be, so making sure you get the time out of Meta is more important than stacking it with the execute. In raids, it's more likely to be the case that at 40%, it'll come off cooldown again by the time you're sub-25% to get some more use from it.

3) Actually, use Succubus on Atramedes or other air phase bosses as her Lash of Pain has a 30 yard range. Felhunter basically everywhere else single target, Felguard for Maloriak and maybe Halfus depending on strategy.

4) I have never found Demonic Leap to have any kind of use beyond avoiding fall mechanics. If you can place it well on AoE packs, then it's passable, under any other circumstances you can use the time running in to place DoTs rather than waste the GCD.

5) You still kill the adds on Magmaw? We just kite them endlessly, but if you are killing them, then sure Felstorm works.

6) As Same says, it'll refresh it as if it were recast. Fel Flame refreshes also work this way, but obviously with a shorter duration extention.

Quote Originally Posted by dahlia View Post
    So I was fiddling around with a Demonology spec because Destruction was getting old for me, and I wanted to know a couple of things on the functionings in 5 mans and beyond.
    (This is not a how-to-play topic, btw, I can look at the guides for that)

1) How important is Metamorphosis to the rotation in terms of usage? I mean, I know to pop it on bosses, and whenever it's off cooldown after that, but what about trash? Will my single target dps hit rock bottom if I don't press it on something other than bosses? I try not to pop it on trash so that I will have it for sure on bosses. Will my dps suffer greatly from that?

2) If I pop Metamorphosis on a boss, and it's off cooldown at say 40%, should I pop it immediately or save it til 25% for Decimation?

3) Is using the Imp over the Succubus on fights where a melee pet can't get into range a significant dps loss? My thought on this were, that the imp has a much longer range than the Succubus, and a better Demon Soul, so I'll have a good Demon Soul, and be guaranteed to hit it, or will the Succubus's shorter range not be an issue for the most part?

4) What's the most efficient way to use Demonic Leap? I've found it to be incredibly spastic and unpredictable in terms of hitting people, but it can easily get me into range of a boss so that I can hit him with Immolation Aura. Would that be the best use for it aside from escaping certain mechanics?

5) This one is rather specific, but on Magmaw, I try to help aoe'ing the adds down, but all I have that's not melee-ranged is Rain of Fire. If I were to send my Felguard on the parasites and Felstorm, would bad things happen?

6) When I get spellpower procs, or Metamorphosis, should I re-apply Immolate, or will Hand of Gul'dan's refresh give Immolate give it benifit of all the buffs that I have active on me?

Thanks in advance for any help that might be provided, and sorry if these questions have been asked before.
    1.) Generally, I dont worry about meta for trash. No one I raid with cares about trash dps, and things die so fast in heroics anyways. Meta should be used as often as possible, but you also want to save it for advantageous portions of fights. Sinc you mention Magmaw, for example, I try to save meta for the phases where the head is exposed because of the extra damage. It depends on the fight, but meta isnt always a use on CD thing. Meta is also one of the reasons mastery is so nice for demo locks, so if you have a mastery proc or on use trinket, it's nice to line them up.

2.) Depends on your raid and the boss fight. Decimation isn't all that great right now, and I personally dont take pains to specifically save meta for it. You want to have complete usage of the meta phase, however, so if your raid kills the boss from 25% to 0% and you are still standing around in demon form with a dead boss, you didn't use it to its fullest extent. As above, if there is something special the boss does that would benefit from more damage, you dont "have" to save it for the so-called execute.

3.) The felhunter and succubus are pretty close for pet damage and overall damage right now, with the felhunter being slightly ahead. On any fight where melee wont reach like Atramades air-phase, use the succubus, the demon soul of the imp wont outweigh how much more damage the succubus does over the imp. Felguard is certainly favored in aoe fights or aoe sections of fights. remember you will need to glyph the succubus lash of pain and felguard legion strike if you choose to use them.

4.) I almost never use demonic leap, adds in maloriak maybe. In terms of getting in close to boss vs away from the boss, I prefer good usage of demonic portal.

5.) Send your felguard into the middle of them and felstorm away. He will often pull aggro on some of the parasites, and he will never get infected, even if they hit him. This can be helpful in bring all the adds closer together so other classes aoes can hurt them easier as well, but it depends on how your raid wishes to tackle them.

6.) Try not to re-apply anything, its generally not worth the lost ticks. Immolate get refreshed by HoG, and if you cast HoG during a SP proc or meta, immo will be treated as if you recast it, with the improved SP or damage. Immo will go back to "normal" once you recast HoG, or hardcast immo, outside of your proc or meta phase.

Unless theres like only 1 minute worth of trash between bosses in whatever 5m.. you should probably go ahead and blow all the demo cd's except infernal obviously. It's pretty easy to hit like 80-90k dps on some pulls with all your cd's, might as well save your group a couple minutes by doing so.