Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer Upgrade Advice

I'm a bit of a newb’ when it comes to computers.

I’ve been using my computer for 3 ½ years and I feel it’s time to do some upgrades

I used CPU-Z to gather the most relative information

Processor: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz.
    Graphics Processor: nVidia 8800GT
    Motherboard: ASUS P5H Deluxe
    Memory: Kingston Value RAM 3GB DDR2 533MHz

If I could upgrade a few items without having to spend more than 500.00 dollars which might be my best option?

Upgrading is rather hard since it's 4 years old already, what you could do is buy new motherboard+cpu+ram now, and buy new graphics card later when you have few hundred more... You didn't list PSU so it might not be up to the task anymore, depending on how good quality device it is.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might be better off getting a barebones bundle, which includes the case, motherboard, cpu and ram, already all plugged in for you.

and moving your hard drive, graphics and optical drives over from your current machine.

Otherwise, if your case is good enough, a motherboard bundle.

Deleted
    You're better off getting a new computer altogether, your PSU probably isn't the strongest and I don't think you'll be able to upgrade your CPU to a more modern variant with the motherboard you've got. I'm in the same situation as you in fact, my computer is about same as yours, going to buy a budget i5 build soonish, it's around €500 without the video card. I use the 8800 as well and I'm (somehow) able to max most recent games so it should be good for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylaa View Post
    If I could upgrade a few items without having to spend more than 500.00 dollars which might be my best option?
    /point thread -> http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build

(Look at $500 build)

That's your best option
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    /point thread -> http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build

(Look at $500 build)

That's your best option
    Actually there is no point upgrading from 8800gt to gts 450, because there is not much performance difference.
    Instead, keep your 8800gt and get the '$500 build' with i5 2500k processor.
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2011-06-12 at 04:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    /point thread ->

(Look at $500 build)

That's your best option
    Thanks, I'll take your advice and use that as reference to build my new computer. My friend even offered to help build the system.

I'll keep my video processor and use it the new system I'll build.
    Last edited by Mylaa; 2011-06-12 at 02:29 PM.

I'll keep my video processor and use it the new system I'll build.
    If you want to see a significant upgrade in the fps in games you need to change the graphics card too.
    The point is that replacing 8800GT with GTS450 is pointless. You need at least GTX460 or HD6850 or higher.
    Getting the $700 build and selling your old build for $200-300 is a better option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    If you want to see a significant upgrade in the fps in games you need to change the graphics card too.
    The point is that replacing 8800GT with GTS450 is pointless. You need at least GTX460 or HD6850 or higher.
    Getting the $700 build and selling your old build for $200-300 is a better option.
    He's not going to get a significant improvement of fps, more like 10-20, but it will allow for some AA

Mylaa, what OS do you use (XP, Vista, 7)?
    Also how many watts is your power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122 - RAM ($65)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-052-_-Product - GPU (148$/shipping included)

Your processor is a fucking beast and your mobo is no where near the end of its life-cycle. Just make sure you have a 650wat(or better) power supply.

If you "buy" windows 7, the difference between XP is 30% more FPS. You should be at 100 FPS with those 2 upgrades running Windows 7.
    Last edited by RAGINGBRODADDY; 2011-06-12 at 05:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RAGINGBRODADDY View Post
    If you "buy" windows 7, the difference between XP is 30% more FPS. You should be at 100 FPS with those 2 upgrades running Windows 7.
    In order to see a 30% jump you need to be on a low resolution with a GTX 580.. With that card you might see 10% at best
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

My deepest apologies; I did the math, and the correct gain, using the gtx465 + DX11, is closely estimated at 22.36842105263158%.

Your processor is a fucking beast and your mobo is no where near the end of its life-cycle.
    No it isn't, and yes it is... 4 years old hardware is getting close to life support stage. Or if by beast you mean dinosaurs that went extinct, you're right.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No it isn't, and yes it is... 4 years old hardware is getting close to life support stage. Or if by beast you mean dinosaurs that went extinct, you're right.
    There's nothing wrong with a q6600 for wow. She is having FPS issues because she's using a dated gpu that does not support DX11 and 533mhz ram. Stop derailing

There's nothing wrong with a q6600 for wow. She is having FPS issues because she's using a dated gpu that does not support DX11 and 533mhz ram. Stop derailing
    Speed difference between 533 and 800MHz RAM is about 5-10% maximum, and DX11 card will only add to maximum FPS, not minimum FPS. Q6600 is totally hopeless for 25-man raids if you want to push settings higher than medium.

I'm not derailing but correcting serious factual errors from your post.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    The upgrade OP is now considering will increase minimum FPS due to better CPU. That's a great start because minimum fps is very noticable because it shows up where it matters: when there's action going on.

But I'd put in a better GPU as soon as the wallet allows it, in order to get just a smudge better eye candy. Of course that's up to which resolution you play as well. 1920x1080 you'd be pushing that card too far for ultra.

Not to mention that in other games than WoW, specifically new games, will see a great benefit from upgrading GPU.

You seem to have missed the seminar where it was explained that CPU performance has a pretty big impact on this game.

With other forum-threads still in memory I'd like to, again, point out that I'm not talking raw core count as that's rarely the way to go in any current game, but rather the efficiency per core.

I'm kidding of course about the seminar. It's just a big general observation by us who have played 25 mans, or AV's or been on a high-pop server on a wide variety of CPUs.

Go vesseblah! And good luck.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-06-12 at 09:01 PM.

a q6600@3.0ghz will run 25-mans without fail. and DX11 + a DX11 card = more fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mylaa, what OS do you use (XP, Vista, 7)?
    Also how many watts is your power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122 - RAM ($65)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-052-_-Product - GPU (148$/shipping included)

Your processor is a fucking beast and your mobo is no where near the end of its life-cycle. Just make sure you have a 650wat(or better) power supply.

I'm running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium.

My Power Supply is 700 Watts made by Rocket Fish.

I'm a bit of a newb’ when it comes to computers.
    a q6600@3.0ghz will run 25-mans without fail. and DX11 + a DX11 card = more fps.
    Not to be rude, but Mylaa specifically stated she is not very good with computer, and you suggest to overclock...

I'm running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium.

My Power Supply is 700 Watts made by Rocket Fish.
    Never heard of Rocketfish, but that PSU should be good enough for that videocard

Mylaa, is your Q6600 overclocked, do you have an after-market cooler, and do you know if your CPU is b3 or G0 stepping?

The reason I ask is that those processors are highly over-clockable, I had one at 3.8Ghz. So if your CPU isn't overclocked and it's G0 stepping, that's the first thing I recommend you do.

Overclocking this CPU is EASY, usually takes one adjustment in the bios.