Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    OP has vista, therefor DX11.

I did the math and she will see a 22% increase in frame rate. The formula I used is based off passmark numbers, FPS % gain switching from DX9 to DX11 and the maximum gain achievable using a gtx580@1920x1080, which is 34%. The gain is noticeable and the only reason I upgraded from XP.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,2793-5.html

I have explained

Quote Originally Posted by RAGINGBRODADDY View Post
    I have explained
    You've explained the maximum FPS, but it does very little for minimum fps which is more CPU-dependant in WoW in raids.

Maximum FPS matters only for ePeen contest while minimum fps makes the difference between playable and unplayable...
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Put it this way.

In what way do you find your current PC unsatisfying when it comes to WoW or gaming in general? Is there some slider in the graphics options that you can't touch without taking a major hit in frames per second, or does it just feel generally sluggish during some specific kind of gameplay?

Telling what graphics preset you run wow in at the moment as well as your screen resolution would also help.
    Eventually I want to try different games. Last game I tried which gave me trouble was Rift Trial which was fairly choppy.

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 09:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    Look at the core speed in CPU-Z while a game is running, if it's overclocked the speed will be alot higher than 2.4 Ghz. CPU-Z will also tell you the STEPPING of your CPU, it's on the right hand side in the middle of the screen.
    Here are some screenshot of my desktop with CPU-Z and SpeedFan 4.43 running. Hope this helps!

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mylaa View Post
    The brand is a Thermaltake Soprano (it's black with a clear right panel and blue lights inside)
    Here are some images of the desktop hopefully this will help Crackerjack. I don't believe it's a Dell or Gateway.

Last edited by Mylaa; 2011-06-13 at 12:38 AM.

If this is an idle temperature (when the computer isn't doing anything difficult) then 79C for the GPU is really hot. Are you sure that the GPU fan is working ? You need to check the temperature another software like HWMonitor (or GPU-Z for the GPU only).
    There is a possibility that the sensors just don't work correctly, since these 112C from the other reading just aren't possible.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-06-13 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    If this is an idle temperature (when the computer isn't doing anything difficult) then 79C for the GPU is really hot. Are you sure that the GPU fan is working ? You need to check this with another software like HWMonitor.
    There is a possibility that the sensors just don't work correctly, since these 112C from the other reading just aren't possible.
    Thanks, I'll download HWMonitor and tell you what I find.

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 09:55 PM ----------

Thanks, I'll download HWMonitor and tell you what I find.

Looks like you have G0 stepping and an after-market CPU cooler, time to overclock!

First let me say I'm no pro when it comes to overclocking so I'm just going to give you the basics. There are a ton of guides online about overclocking the Q6600 GO.

1. Start your comp and hit delete when prompted to to enter setup.

2. Right arrow to AI Tweaker tab.

3. Change Ai Overclock tuner to manual.

4. Change FSB Frequency to 400.

5. Right arrow to exit tab, select exit & Save.

If your computer boots, seems stable, and temps don't go crazy you can inch the FSB up higher till you hit the stability ceiling. On the other hand if your comp won't boot, acts crazy, or temps are too high, then you'll have to cut the FSB back until your comp is stable.

Good luck!

Looks like you have G0 stepping and an after-market CPU cooler, time to overclock!
    I would advise OP NOT to try it if you don't feel comfortable with it. If it "seems" stable, it doesn't mean it is. I would advise not trying it for now, as more things can be made to improve performance before overclocking.

Oc isnt hard, theres tons of guides and a Q6600 is a beast. I OC mine to 3.3, I had it at 3.6 but decided to error on the safe side. A GTS 8800 is a good card, while not top of the line as mentioned WoW is much more CPU intensive. I have a 5770 (my 8800 died) and there still comparable, when I overclocked it felt like I had a new computer and it can easily give you another year or two of usage.

Also since your in Canada I would recommend Ncix.com for ordering and getting a new computer if you decide to go that route. I've gotten 2 computers and 2 laptops from them in addition to other smaller orders and haven't had any issues that weren't taken care of. You can also just ask on the forum for a new build with your budget if you want to go that route. However I would recommend waiting and save a bit more cash up until you can afford an SSD and a few more items. A good build will probably cost around $800-1000 if your keeping your monitor/keyboard etc.
    Last edited by Esg; 2011-06-13 at 01:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

First let me say I'm no pro when it comes to overclocking so I'm just going to give you the basics. There are a ton of guides online about overclocking the Q6600 GO.

1. Start your comp and hit delete when prompted to to enter setup.

2. Right arrow to AI Tweaker tab.

3. Change Ai Overclock tuner to manual.

4. Change FSB Frequency to 400.

5. Right arrow to exit tab, select exit & Save.

If your computer boots, seems stable, and temps don't go crazy you can inch the FSB up higher till you hit the stability ceiling. On the other hand if your comp won't boot, acts crazy, or temps are too high, then you'll have to cut the FSB back until your comp is stable.

Good luck!
    Thanks, I'll try it now.

Thanks, I'll try it now.
    doubt its as simple as that; read guides before, plenty out there.

Good luck

10+ Year Old Account

Angry

Does anyone have Ventrilo or even Messenger. When I turn on my computer it constantly beeps and gives me an error "CPU INIT Error." Appreciate if someone could walk me through the process of fixing this.
    Last edited by Mylaa; 2011-06-13 at 03:06 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Q6600 is totally hopeless for 25-man raids if you want to push settings higher than medium.
    Have you actually tried or are you just assuming out of your ass? I have been playing WoW on a q6600 at ultra (shadows off) for years with good fps

10+ Year Old Account
    This is frustrating... Sagan-Man do you think you could help?

Does anyone have Ventrilo or even Messenger. When I turn on my computer it constantly beeps and gives me an error "CPU INIT Error." Appreciate if someone could walk me through the process of fixing this.
    I'd guess that removing the CMOS will reset your bios, which should fix it... Assuming that the overclocking broke your PC anyways...
    Remove the big watch battery for about 30 seconds (kind of looks like a big coin), then stick it back in.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    I'd guess that removing the CMOS will reset your bios, which should fix it... Assuming that the overclocking broke your PC anyways...
    Remove the big watch battery for about 30 seconds (kind of looks like a big coin), then stick it back in.
    Would you mind if you walked me through the process? I'm nervous to do anything else to it right now.

Open your computer case (make sure its off and the plug is out to be safe) and you will see that same battery in your motherboard. They usually have a clip that if u press it will pop the battery out. Leave it out for a few minutes (3-5 is usually enough) pop it back in then turn the computer on and it should auto reset bios. Heres a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBWZOtp2is

Also since your new to overclocking NEVER follow anything thats a simple 5 steps etc like that one you tried, always read a guide or watch a video, even if you have the same parts they are all different and work differently with OC.
    Last edited by Esg; 2011-06-13 at 04:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried removing the CMOS but hasn't change anything.

I'll be in my private Ventrilo if anyone can help.
    Address: 71.7.192.184
    Port: 3784

Would you mind if you walked me through the process? I'm nervous to do anything else to it right now.
    I really wouldn't be able to do more to repeat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4fDSQap2Qo

All you have to do is turn the power off on the PSU switch at the back of your computer.
    Take the side of your case off.
    Ground yourself by putting a hand on the PSU for two seconds.
    Remove the battery, and put it on your desk for 30 seconds if you don't want to lose it.
    Re-insert battery, close your case.
    PSU back on, reboot.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Try leaving it out for 10 minutes then, or even longer. I have never had a Cmos reset fail on me so it might just need more time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esg View Post
    Try leaving it out for 10 minutes then, or even longer. I have never had a Cmos reset fail on me so it might just need more time.
    Its 2:00 AM my time I can't stay awake any longer. I'll leave the CMOS out over night and keep you posted good night.