Thread: New GFX - Card

New GFX - Card

Hey guys,

apperently when i came home i heared this weired sound out of my pc and was like wtf. Seems like my gfx is dying slowly (cleaned it 2 days ago). So i wanna buy a new one. But since i dont see the point in buying me some high end 300€ card just to play wow ( i dont do anything else with my pc, except checking mails and extracting .rar files). So atm im running with a Geforce GTS240. Im seeking for smth similar around 100€.
    My first impression was a Sparkle GeForce GTS 450 passiv 1024MB GDDR5. But is passive cooling worth anything? Would be nice to have a silent system since the pc is standing in the living room and is running when ppl are here (can be annoying as fuck some times, since the actual card is pretty loud).

So in the end gimme some opinions about the mentioned card or maybe some thoughts, links etc about another one.

Thanks in advance and good night.

AMD 6850...its about 10US out of your price range but for that price range it cannot be touched. Its the best card to be had within/close to your price range.

Thanks for the comment mate. But, I dont want to start a flame thread now (so please beahve), I'd rather have a Nvidia chipset. Simply cuz Im using Nvidia since like 5years and realy had no bad issues with em. So dont try to get me over, just try to link some nvidia opportunities.
    Still thanks and will keep it in mind if I cant find anything else.

never meant to start a flame thread. If you want a Nvidia in that range i would suggest a GTX550Ti. It will not perform as well as a ATI 6850...but its the best Nvidia has in that price range...very close performance tho. You maybe able to find a used GTX460 for a little more and will perform better.

The GTS450 is the only nvidia one in that pricerange that is also a passive cooled card. Only other cards in that pricerange that are also passive cooled are the HD5750 and HD5770.

I don't know what cards are really silent with fans, so I'm not going to suggest any of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd look for a GTX460 on sale. With the 560 replacing it, hopefully you can get a discounted one.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    passive means that they are cooled by a heatsink and not a fan. I wouldn't get on of these for gaming. i would wait until you have more money and buy one with a fan.
    Last edited by baremon; 2011-06-12 at 01:57 AM.
    All Hail Galvatron!

10+ Year Old Account
    Do they still sell GTX460 768mb versions? If they do, get one of those. Or preferably the GTX460 1gb if it's in your price range. Don't get a GTS450.
    Sorry but AMD have more options when it comes to lower-end cards, I would only get an nVidia if I could atleast afford a 460, preferably 560 Ti.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-06-12 at 02:27 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Do they still sell GTX460 768mb versions? If they do, get one of those. Or preferably the GTX460 1gb if it's in your price range. Don't get a GTS450.
    Sorry but AMD have more options when it comes to lower-end cards, I would only get an nVidia if I could atleast afford a 460, preferably 560 Ti.
    Just don't get a GTX 460 SE. Such a waste of money....
    2k posts, yay!

Ok guys. Thanks alot for the help.
    I think ill stick to the GTX 460. Its around 125€ with transport. So everything is fine.
    Have a nice sunday!