The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Dolby Digital Live

Hey guys i have a question about my new sound card i got recently. I have noticed that my sound warps in and out when playing music sometimes. What i mean by this is that i will play a song and it will get louder and softer as if i were turning up the volume and immediately turning it down a bit. So i want to know if turning on Dobly Digital Live would help fix this problem. What does it do and if that wont fix it what can i do to fix it? I have win7 and my sound card is the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro. If i need to give any more info to help solve my problem i gladly will. thanks for any replies.

10+ Year Old Account
    dolby digital live allows you to have 5.1/7.1 dolby digital signal from non pre-encoded content such as video games

in a nutshell, you get dolby digital surround from video games through a S/Pdif port, without a DD live card, you only get 2 channel stereo

edit, unless you are using a home theater sound system, you will not be able to use dolby digital live, very very few pc speaker sets are dolby digital capable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    dolby digital live allows you to have 5.1/7.1 dolby digital signal from non pre-encoded content such as video games

in a nutshell, you get dolby digital surround from video games through a S/Pdif port, without a DD live card, you only get 2 channel stereo

edit, unless you are using a home theater sound system, you will not be able to use dolby digital live, very very few pc speaker sets are dolby digital capable
    *Links his headphones.* <3
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/...orce-dx11.aspx

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    so should i enable it then or no? i have 5.1 surround sound speakers right now btw.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaincow View Post
    so should i enable it then or no? i have 5.1 surround sound speakers right now btw.
    is it a computer 5.1 ie 3 3.5mm headphone jacks

or a fiber optic/coaxial pcm cable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dolby Digital live has nothing to do with your problem. Your problem sounds like an auto volume feature that attempts to keep the audio at near the same level. It goes by different names with different companies so check your control panel for auto volume, or volume leveling, normalization, or a night mode perhaps and disable it.

What Dolby Digital live does is allow the game/system audio to be encoded and sent over a digital cable, since the digital cable does not have the bandwidth needed to send 6 uncompressed signals. Since you are not using a digital cable it does not matter.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaincow View Post
    3 3.5mm headphone
    then no, those dont use dolby digital, a S/PDIF (digital port) looks like this: