Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodant View Post
    why are people always so damn offended when a movie doesnt follow the original cannon. High budget movies arent made to cater hardcore fanboys. They are made to cater the much bigger public that never showed interest before. Yeah this may sound unfair but thats how the movie business works. Be the bigger man/woman and do a /care movies if you feel they butcher your favorite franchise.

I myself loved the movies. They're great <3.
    This is true. BUT They could make a movie that does cater to both by not destroying canon. Why do the always feel the need to make ridiculous changes.
    Keep The Beats!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I was religious, I would deem the topic title to be blasphemy! But I'm not!

This movie rocked! Magneto's PoV about un-mutated humanity seemed very convincing too!

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone's going into an X-Men (hell, any comic book movie) movie looking for accuracy to the comics, then they're doing it wrong.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

I thought it was the most badass movie I've seen in a while.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

I thought the movie was amazing good storyline and graphics!

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    This is true. BUT They could make a movie that does cater to both by not destroying canon. Why do the always feel the need to make ridiculous changes.
    For the sake of what they feel could be a better story, without taking the eons to go back and toss in minor things (like how Storm brought Gambit into the X-Men). It's a different medium, and one that has to tell a lot of story in a short (relatively speaking) time constraint.

As a Marvel movie, I honestly think it was the best one thus far (only contender being Edward Norton as The Incredible Hulk, but it's still a distant second). The casting for James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender was exceptional, I daresay brilliant. I was consistently blown away by these two and how well they were allowed to play off eachother. And when Charles <spoiler> at the end there, I almost cried. It may not be the way a true comic geek will remember what happens to him, but it still grips you.

Origins: Wolverine, on the other hand, I hated. They ruined Gambit for me. Liev Schrieber being fantastic couldn't save the crapshoot that was that disgusting mess.

But yes. First class was amazing, and I would go out and pay full price movie tickets to see it again.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-06-12 at 03:03 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

15+ Year Old Account
    I thought Origins was rather good... :/

Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    I thought Origins was rather good... :/
    Liev Schrieber as Sabertooth was jawdroppingly awesome. The gags with Ryan Reynolds, and how they sewed up his mouth to make an "improvement".... Deadpool himself left a dirty feeling in your mouth. The first 20 minutes was amazing. But beyond that, it was bleh. Gross writing, terrible acting, CGI made me want to cut myself. That last fight scene? Why did I not get up and leave? Not as bad as Last Stand, but still a terrible title.

For Gambit to not have been in the "original three" terrible movies, you'd think at the end there Logan would have stabbed him when he found Kayla lying there, feeling something about this dead girl and not knowing who or why, and channeling that rage into the nearest outlet. But nope, he just flies away.

For original canon, the Sir Patrick Stewart cameo in Origins had me wondering why, because as cool as it was (I'm a huge fan), his powers (or his spinal injury, take your pic of canon) should have kept him from standing there.

Any scene with Taylor Kitsch playing Gambit felt a loss, because it felt like they were planning on Hugh Jackman riding it the whole way through. Which is a shame, because Liev Schrieber hasn't done a bad role yet.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-06-12 at 03:26 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Anyone else notice that Shaw's plan was strikingly similar to Magneto's in the first movie?
    Sell the Vatican, Feed the World

I thought X-Men First Class was really good. I wasn't too big of a fan of how Beast looked after he got blue and furry though. Was cool to see the cameo with Wolverine. I didn't really know whether to call this a reboot or a prequel honestly.

Marvel has changed and rewritten the origin of the X-men in different continuities a thousand times, and every character has had multiple origin stories. You just have to look at this movie as a new continuity. This movie isn't doing anything the comics haven't been doing for years.

If you look at it like that, it was a fantastic movie. Charles and Erik were written and acted perfectly, and it was great to see everything set in that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Chyrch View Post
    You know what I want to see? An X-Men movie. I don't think that's a lot to expect. But all I've seen so far is a movie with X-Men labels and names on it.
    It doesnt sound like what you want is an X-Men movie. It sounds like what you want is a painstaking recreation of the X-Men you have known in the past.
    Canon does not have to be so important that it chokes the life and creativity from future works. Truly, canon doesn't have to be important at all. None of us were misled on what to expect.
    There is no reason why one can't enjoy the same universe on more than one level, or why something can't have multiple levels for different people to all plug in and enjoy someone's creation. That the characters or plot did not conform to what you wanted them to be isn't a criticism of merit.
    The movie was good. The biggest complaint I have for it is probably Beast's mouth piece. He couldn't smile or emote, he just looked silly.

Michael Fassbender made the entire movie. It was definitely better than Wolverine and X3. Probably better than the other two, but it's not a clear winner.

That said, the (spoilers)

black guy dying first made me cringe. The immortal black guy dying first. With no explanation.
    Last edited by Magnett; 2011-06-12 at 05:18 PM.
    - Dreams. What are dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother.
    - Dreams are nothing, sister? Without dreams, there could be no despair.

Deleted
    I havn't seen the movie myself but its got alot of high score reviews Rotten Tomatoes gives it 87% while Imbd gave it 8.2/10,I will have to see soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    It doesnt sound like what you want is an X-Men movie. It sounds like what you want is a painstaking recreation of the X-Men you have known in the past.
    Canon does not have to be so important that it chokes the life and creativity from future works. Truly, canon doesn't have to be important at all. None of us were misled on what to expect.
    There is no reason why one can't enjoy the same universe on more than one level, or why something can't have multiple levels for different people to all plug in and enjoy someone's creation. That the characters or plot did not conform to what you wanted them to be isn't a criticism of merit.
    The movie was good. The biggest complaint I have for it is probably Beast's mouth piece. He couldn't smile or emote, he just looked silly.
    I've mentioned this in a previous post. I don't expect them to stick precisely to the comics, but I do expect them to at least try and keep the characters in line with their source material.

First Class could very well have worked completely outside the Marvel Universe. It was a generic action thriller plot with mutants thrown in.

i want to watch some Jean Grey action on the next x-men movie !, or phoenix atleast !

The sad truth is these movies are made for fans but are catered to non fans. The fan base is not enough to reap in the millions that sought after. This can be said of almost every super hero movie ever made.

I don't even care, they had my favorite character's parents so I was satisfied. Nightcrawler is the most badass super hero in the world imo. I had a major nerdgasm when I saw his father Ezezel.

Why can't this just be accepted as being in another universe? They do this all the time in comics to give other writers a chance to tell the story they want and use the characters how ever they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    This is the problem with making movies out of comics. Delusional people think that the movie will be 100% true to the comic when they NEVER are. If they were then there would be no surprise to the movies for the comic readers. Even beyond that, a lot of the early x-men comics were just bad stories. Directors/producers will take there liberties within reason to make the story better. You cannot name a single comic to movie adaption that is 100% true to the comics. Get over it.

As far as Wolverine being horrible I have to disagree. I thought it was the best X-Men move to come out.
    And this is the problem with having discussions on the internet. Many people lack even basic reading comprehension. I'll say this again for those who are a little slower: I did not expect them to stay 100% true to the comics. My complaint is that instead of trying for at least 75%, they seemed to have no regard for it at all. They simply wrote the plot and threw in random characters with powers they thought would look cool.

---------- Post added 2011-06-12 at 05:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    The sad truth is these movies are made for fans but are catered to non fans. The fan base is not enough to reap in the millions that sought after. This can be said of almost every super hero movie ever made.
    It's true, but there are some good examples with movies making a strong effort to remain loyal. It's no surprise it comes from Marvel Studios. Both Iron Man and Thor were reasonable adaptations. Hell, if they made Tony Stark an alcoholic, they'd be damn close.