Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question The end of the Playstation Network?

http://www.sonyps4gaming.com/
    http://www.sonyps4gaming.com/the-end...twork#more-633

Hackers beware: Sony has its eye on you. The recent hacking of the Sony PlayStation Network leaves many players wondering if they can trust the company with personal information, such as profiles, addresses and credit cards. This was no ordinary hacking either; it was a well-organized attempt by professionals to gain access to over 100 million PlayStation user accounts.

In three days, hackers were able to steal credit and debit card information from at least 10 million users; although, Sony has yet to confirm this number. While it is easy to blame the hackers for attempting to destroy the PlayStation Network and steal personal information, the blame should be on Sony. After all, hackers spent three days rummaging through the system while Sony was unaware of the attack. This means that the billion-dollar industry giant spends far less resources on protecting the accounts and identities of its users.

Not only did Sony allow the attack to happen, but they also handled the situation poorly. After the hack, Sony closed the Network for “maintenance.” By April 22, Sony finally admitted the system was hacked and occurred before the shutdown. Later in May, Gene Spafford of Purdue University indicated that Sony ran its servers without firewall support. It is no wonder that hackers were able to penetrate the system with little difficulty.

The PlayStation 3 is still Sony’s main priority, but this recent PSN hack may change that. Regardless of how many consoles the company may sell, no profit will be generated from the PlayStation Network if users are afraid to use the online system. Sony should turn its focus towards the stability of the Network before releasing any new gadgets or future technologies. Before the PlayStation 4 is debuted, Sony needs to have everything in working order so that its reputation is not further damaged.

The last thing the company needs is to lose PS4 sales before the system is released. While that is still a long time away, repairing customer faith takes even longer. The only way Sony recovers from this humiliating attack is to realize it was a mistake, correct it and ensure it does everything possible to prevent another hacking attempt. Perhaps this deflated Sony’s massive ego; maybe it gave the company something to think about. Only time will tell if Sony uses this to make a positive difference in how the company handles its future

Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    Just going to throw this in there: While Sony did take a while to announce to the public that they were hacked, they immediately contacted banks to alert them of possible issues. Bank of America issued us a new debit card days before the public even knew about it. Yeah it should have never happened in the first place, but they did at least do that.

You gotta wonder whats going on
    Last edited by Romire; 2011-06-12 at 03:16 PM.
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Just going to throw this in there: While Sony did take a while to announce to the public that they were hacked, they immediately contacted banks to alert them of possible issues. Bank of America issued us a new debit card days before the public even knew about it. Yeah it should have never happened in the first place, but they did at least do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spritely View Post
    i'll add it in to the OP
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Sony's reaction to the whole thing is the very least they could have done, im not too sure why people defend their actions with "but look, they were nice about it after the fact!"

I, for one, will never give sony my contact details ever again. Not that it really matters, at this point i've had to replace every CC I have because of this garbage. They may have gotten out new cards right away, but im still the one who's going to have to pay for credit monitoring services for the rest of my life, as they've tried and nearly succeeded to open 3 more lines of credit in my name since this whole thing started. If I had that much personal information on people in the US get stolen from me, i'd be spending a few years in prison at best, and who knows what sort of fees and civil suits. But sony, wont have to pay much of anything, offers a few token offers of apology, and gets to continue on as if nothing happened.

Deleted
    "end of PlayStation Network"

"billion-dollar industry giant"

"There is nothing money can't fix"

I might add that a separate group hacked Sony again after it got up again, but they went for the Sony Pictures department. The hackers reported all user data was stored in plain text there too.

:/

I hope so I hate it, if they charged a fee to play on it I'm sure none of this would of happened.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I might add that a separate group hacked Sony again after it got up again, but they went for the Sony Pictures department. The hackers reported all user data was stored in plain text there too.

:/
    LOL Plain text? Seriously ahaha

Oh I'm amused right here, that's just awful

I'll just throw this in here:

SonyPictures hacked by LulzSec, 1 million passwords compromised

The hacking group LulzSec has compromised over 1 million usernames, passwords, emails, real names, and physical addresses from the database of SonyPictures. The group claims "SonyPictures.com was owned by a very simple SQL injection, one of
    the most primitive and common vulnerabilities."

A statement was released via Pastebin.com, making fun of Sony's security: http://pastebin.com/dXRb4GDD

Samples of the data were released via a torrent titled "Sownage" and posted on ThePirateBay.

Update: Sony has now officially confirmed the data leakage, see http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20...ed-server-data.

Sony Pro Apps hacked, whole database compromised

A Lebanese hacker named "Idahc" claims to have hacked Sony's Pro Apps website with a similarly simple SQL injection.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011...-hacker-again/

See here: http://pastebin.com/aXLkmNmR

Update: The website at http://apps.pro.sony.eu is now down with the following banner being shown:

Sony Ericsson's Canadian eShop Hacked

The same hacker who also hacked Sony's AppPro database has now gotten into Sony Erricsson's Canadian online shop. It appears that he had access to credit card information but did not release it because he considers himself a "grey-hat" hacker.

This paste contains a small part of the database dumped by the hacker: http://pastebin.com/7vaYTDrG

The affected website, http://ca.eshop.sonyericsson.com/, was taken offline by Sony for maintenance.

Russian SonyPictures Site hacked

An unknown hacker today breached the database of sonypictures.ru, attaining full root access and dumping the entire database contents. This attack comes after the SQL injection on the english SonyPictures website just days ago.

Affected URL: http://www.sonypictures.ru/homevideo...e.php?dvdId=70
    Data compromised: ALL (usernames, passwords stored in plaintext, real names, addresses, emails)

The hackers released the complete database scheme, along with the statement "In Soviet Russia, SQL injects you!", as a proof of the breach: http://pastebin.com/Ubw6kCVW

Update: As of June 6, 2011 at 1:09:22 AM CEST, this vulnerability is still active and can be exploited by anyone. Sony has not made any attempts to close down the affected server.

Sony Music Brazil website hacked and defaced

A group of hackers known as "The UnderTakers" has apparently hacked the main website of Sony Music Brazil. The appear to have full root access to the Web Server and have inserted their own page telling users of the hack.

The site is still defaced as of this moment, see for yourself and read the funny cartoons: http://www.sonymusic.com.br/index.asp

Sony Computer Entertainment Developer Network source code leaked

A hacker under the name of sonic-iso claiming to be from the 2600 network has apparently infiltrated the network of Sony Computer Entertainment and stolen the complete SVN trunk of the Developer Network source code.

Sony Computer Entertainment Developer Network is the website used by Playstation developers to obtain secret documentation and software libraries to develop on Sony's platforms and to communicate with Sony on various issues.

The leak appears to contain the complete source code for the site, including the source code of administration tools.

Link to the release: http://pastebin.com/7yij8vGi

Update: Here's a quick summary showing the amount of source code that was stolen:

Code:
        2866 text files.
        2752 unique files.
       12473 files ignored.

http://cloc.sourceforge.net v 1.53  T=13.0 s (150.8 files/s, 28046.9 lines/s)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Language                     files          blank        comment           code
    PHP                           1508          29776          56381         166846
    Javascript                     195           8880           5486          40783
    HTML                            70           1050            477           9115
    CSS                             93           1473            732           8103
    Bourne Shell                    13            772            917           5267
    XML                              7           1418            177           3878
    SQL                              4           1550           3707           3515
    C                               10            590            924           3317
    Perl                            20            589            463           2738
    Python                           6            376            870           1493
    m4                               3            192              2           1008
    C/C++ Header                     3            173            145            930
    ASP.Net                          4             44              0            156
    Ruby                            21             38             97             84
    make                             2             12              5             26
    YAML                             1              2             15             18
    SUM:                          1960          46935          70398         247277

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooo

Personally i think that the hackers shouldn't be blamed at all for the PSN crisis due to sony's complete disregard for the privacy of their customers.

They held vital data on servers...
    A) Without firewall support
    B) Unencrypted
    C) Saved in PLAIN TEXT.

Seriously, they had practically no safety measures for the data of their customers, and this led to the hack.

Deleted
    Sony hasn't been doing great when it comes to their Playstation part, economically speaking (neither have Microsoft, but that's besides the point), so this PSN outage will cost them in the long run.

I am however a bit tired of hearing stories and forum threads plotting the "end" just because something happened. Sure, it's interesting to guess and speculate, but please do it with some moderation. I for one will just kick back and relax and see what happens.

Deleted
    Sony are struggling atm they are under constant hacking attacks and this year alone posted loses of $3.2 billion...It's a shame iv been a PS fan since the original.

[disclaimer, Opinions incoming]

Nothing will happen, most of the people don't care about this, others are smart enough to realise that putting your information anywhere on the web is a security risk and some will say they will never buy another Sony product while either never owning one or buying a Sony TV/other miscellaneous electronics.

What can really shake their reputation is if within this year their networks are hacked again. Then it becomes a real issue. But until that happens, a company of Sony magnitude will not move an inch, sure the shareholders won't be happy but other than that its operations will not be affected.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Quote Originally Posted by Talorh View Post
    [disclaimer, Opinions incoming]

Nothing will happen, most of the people don't care about this, others are smart enough to realise that putting your information anywhere on the web is a security risk and some will say they will never buy another Sony product while either never owning one or buying a Sony TV/other miscellaneous electronics.

What can really shake their reputation is if within this year their networks are hacked again. Then it becomes a real issue. But until that happens, a company of Sony magnitude will not move an inch, sure the shareholders won't be happy but other than that its operations will not be affected.
    I don't know under which rock you are hiding but if you look just 6 posts above yours is a recap of the number of times they've been hacked in JUST THIS MONTH (June).

I will say this again, people will disagree with me but, any company that stores personal info in plain txt, I wouldn't trust. Would never buy a product from, again. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    The PlayStation 3 is still Sony’s main priority, but this recent PSN hack may change that. Regardless of how many consoles the company may sell, no profit will be generated from the PlayStation Network if users are afraid to use the online system. Sony should turn its focus towards the stability of the Network before releasing any new gadgets or future technologies. Before the PlayStation 4 is debuted, Sony needs to have everything in working order so that its reputation is not further damaged.
    The only reason why the hack was such a big deal was because PSN was down for so long. Everytime you use your card offline or online, (even ATMs have been compromised) you are at risk of having your information stolen. Similar attacks happen ALL of the time. The only Sony hacks are just related by name. Since PSN was hacked, Lockheed Martin, PBS, Nintendo, Epic Games, and more have all been hacked. Gmail has been used as backdoor for months. The IMF has just been hacked. Microsoft hired a 14 year old COD hacker. Shit gets hacked.

They've rebuilt the system. It wasn't just down for no reason. From my understanding they time PSN was down was spent replicating the attack to see what was stolen, patching up the holes, and restructuring their systems. The passwords were hashed, Lulzsec has proved this isn't sufficient. But guess what, 9/10 companies has your information. They worked closely with banks to look out for any possible fraud. They brought PSN back up ASAP as they became available with a pretty generous return package. And if you don't know, they've offered 1 year sub of premium identity theft protection. Their greatest fault during the whole thing is that Sony sucks at playing the political PR game. They said too much, realized it and then clammed up.

Sony makes its revenue for PSN through ads space, PSN+, and vendor fees, all are still kicking. Everyone on my friendlist logs on. Sony and PSN is far from dead. How many exclusives and exclusive content has Sony secured over Microsoft at e3 again?

pacox, please get a basic grasp of why this was a big deal. Similar attacks tend to yield absolute fuckall, because whatever information they receive will be absolute garbage. Why? Because they have encrypted it.

Sony had completely failed to do that. It was just there. In plaintext. Absolute plain text.

What did Sony do? Absolutely nothing worthwhile apparently, because there are many subsequent hacks to pretty much every other department as well after PSN came up indicating that every department stored all their shit in plain text.

I repeat: Plain. Text.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-06-12 at 07:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I will say this again, people will disagree with me but, any company that stores personal info in plain txt, I wouldn't trust. Would never buy a product from, again. :/
    Yep, agreed. lost my trust after reading

''PLAIN TEXT'' lmao