Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    LOL Plain text? Seriously ahaha

Oh I'm amused right here, that's just awful
    1. Pretty much my initial reaction when Drunkenvalley first told me, too =P

2. (To the topic in general): And STILL I have to defend my console priority list of [nintendo machine I don't own] > XBOX > checkers > tic-tac-toe > Sony's stuff ...
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Doesn't help that the entire problem erupted as a result of some really idiotic decisions and non-existent security on the PS3. The real hacking spree as far as I see it started the moment the disc validation key was exposed to be identical on every disc and item out there.

Come on. That's not even security.

I've been a Sony fan my entire life. I can say for certain now, I will never buy another Sony product ever again. Plain text. Lol. Words can't explain this hypocrisy.
    Alliance 85:Fire/Arcane
    Horde 85: Holy/Retribution Restoration/Elemental Survival/Marksman Restoration/Balance Assassination/Subtlety Shadow/Shadow Unholy/Frost Affliction/Demonology Protection/Arms

This thread is going to go nowhere.

There is so much misinformation out there that people believe (on both sides) and won't bother to check to see if it's legit.

That and you have the Sony fanboys who will defend Sony to the death and the Sony haters who will attack Sony no matter what.

End of story though: PSN is most likely (90%) not going anywhere. No system is secure (look at all the recent hacking of websites: Codemasters, Epic Games, Nintendo, and a few others. Heck, the FBI gets hacked regularly.) so any place that you put your personal data has the potential to be hacked and accessed. Some companies have better security, others don't.

Fun story, most major companies have been hacked and most security breaches aren't reported for fear of negative press/fines.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    This thread is going to go nowhere.

There is so much misinformation out there that people believe (on both sides) and won't bother to check to see if it's legit.

That and you have the Sony fanboys who will defend Sony to the death and the Sony haters who will attack Sony no matter what.

End of story though: PSN is most likely (90%) not going anywhere. No system is secure (look at all the recent hacking of websites: Codemasters, Epic Games, Nintendo, and a few others. Heck, the FBI gets hacked regularly.) so any place that you put your personal data has the potential to be hacked and accessed. Some companies have better security, others don't.

Fun story, most major companies have been hacked and most security breaches aren't reported for fear of negative press/fines.
    Thing is, when Sony got hacked actual personal info was taken, which wasn't the case with Nintendo or the FBI, or Epic games. Thats the big deal here, sure, other companies have been hacked, that should of NEVER happened, but when personal information is just laying around in Plain txt for the hackers to take, that's when I can't find any reason to defend said company, its pathetic, its like they have no regards to their customers for that move.

Come to think of it, pretty much all credit-card related information is very hard to encrypt if you're not asking them to submit the information again with every purchase. >>

Curious how they handle that around the block.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Doesn't help that the entire problem erupted as a result of some really idiotic decisions and non-existent security on the PS3. The real hacking spree as far as I see it started the moment the disc validation key was exposed to be identical on every disc and item out there.

Come on. That's not even security.
    Lax security in the gaming industry is nothing new. How long have people been pirating PC and console games? This whole thing came about when Sony tried to secure their IP. In the process things feature (OtherOS) got taken away, holes were patched (firmwire updates) so Geohot exposed their encryption methods. Sony had no choice but to tighten security and to prosecute. Homebrewing was broken, Geohot was hunted down. Lulzsec retaliated. Sony was caught with its pants down. Sony tried to curb piracy and got beat down for it. Its actually a shame the rest of the industry just sort of sits back and watches because the whole thing isn't over yet. Another group will come forth and trying something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the end of Sony, it's a giant bump that they can't seem to get over lol.
    Sig by Soko, keep being amazing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Thing is, when Sony got hacked actual personal info was taken, which wasn't the case with Nintendo or the FBI, or Epic games. Thats the big deal here, sure, other companies have been hacked, that should of NEVER happened, but when personal information is just laying around in Plain txt for the hackers to take, that's when I can't find any reason to defend said company, its pathetic, its like they have no regards to their customers for that move.
    The only recent hack were info wasn't has been Nintendo...

From everything I read, it was basic personal information from the PSN hacking, everything else was hashed ect. From the subsequent hacks (the most recent Sony Pictures one), information was stored plaintext. In other hackings (Epic, Eidos, Codemasters), basic personal information again (name, address, DoB ect.) was also stolen from their websites. Nintendo was hacked to "show them a security flaw" and then the recent phishing scheme that forced them to pull down parts of their website (they never clarified exactly what was going on).

Information for many companies (large and small) is stored in plain text. Is it right? No. Does it happen often? You bet. And if your information is held by some larger companies, there's a damn good chance it's already been accessed.

Here's an article about it. Granted it's not 100% true, but if you believe the first half than the second half should also be believed.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/p...ker-exclusive/

Come to think of it, pretty much all credit-card related information is very hard to encrypt if you're not asking them to submit the information again with every purchase. >>
    You can encrypt stored credit card information, but even if it is taken it's generally not very useful because it does not store the 3 digit security code on the back so cannot be used for online purchases.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2011-06-12 at 07:28 PM.

Deleted
    i'm currently making a school project involving a peer 2 peer scoring website for group projects (where students can rate each other on several subjects), and even that database will probably be encrypted (if i find the time). i can't believe that any company with more than 5000 customers would even use plaintext for their database. it's like writing your safe keycode on the safe itself. in permamarker.

here we go again.........
    ill still support the PS cause. if you're going to compare a pure entertainment company to a console supported by one of the most "renown" computer technology company's(also does internet security), you're doing it wrong
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Lax security in the gaming industry is nothing new. How long have people been pirating PC and console games? This whole thing came about when Sony tried to secure their IP. In the process things feature (OtherOS) got taken away, holes were patched (firmwire updates) so Geohot exposed their encryption methods. Sony had no choice but to tighten security and to prosecute. Homebrewing was broken, Geohot was hunted down. Lulzsec retaliated. Sony was caught with its pants down. Sony tried to curb piracy and got beat down for it. Its actually a shame the rest of the industry just sort of sits back and watches because the whole thing isn't over yet. Another group will come forth and trying something else.
    Sony had no choice? Oh, they had many choices. -_- Not being pants-on-head retarded would be one.

As an example: Did you see how shitty their attempt was to secure Geohot's stuff? It was absolutely bonkers crazy. IRC screenshots of irrelevant stuff, lots of random statements (I kid you not: 100% random), numerous screenshots from websites so much as mentioning the username...

Seriously, they did many, many pants-on-head retarded things throughout all of this. All of their shit is pretty inexcusable, whatever the motivation to do it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    From everything I read, it was basic personal information from the PSN hacking, everything else was hashed ect. From the subsequent hacks (the most recent Sony Pictures one), information was stored plaintext. In other hackings (Epic, Eidos, Codemasters), basic personal information again (name, address, DoB ect.) was also stolen from their websites. Nintendo was hacked to "show them a security flaw" and then the recent phishing scheme that forced them to pull down parts of their website (they never clarified exactly what was going on).

Information for many companies (large and small) is stored in plain text. Is it right? No. Does it happen often? You bet. And if your information is held by some larger companies, there's a damn good chance it's already been accessed.

Here's an article about it. Granted it's not 100% true, but if you believe the first half than the second half should also be believed.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/p...ker-exclusive/
    Well, that's pretty scary, I hope companies learn a lesson from this that they aren't all hack-proof and take better measures to secure their customer's personal information. :/

Worst part? Encrypting data isn't hard. It really isn't. Worst case scenario you just have to think for 5 minutes when trying to find a way to a solution for certain features. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smartAXE View Post
    here we go again.........
    ill still support the PS cause. if you're going to compare a pure entertainment company to a console supported by one of the most "renown" computer technology company's(also does internet security), you're doing it wrong

Mind me but i am yet to see on any of the posts of this thread a reference to the 360, if that's what you're aiming at..

Well, that's pretty scary, I hope companies learn a lesson from this that they aren't all hack-proof and take better measures to secure their customer's personal information. :/
    They don't care. Most don't report it and it's highly likely your information is already out there. They know that no system is "hack proof" and that any system can be breached if you give a hacker(s) enough time and they feel motivated enough. Creating a complex security system and constantly maintaining/updating it is very expensive. Considering that reported hackings are very rare, most companies either don't think it will happen to them, or just won't report it and can avoid any potential bad press/regulatory fines. I respect the companies that admit to being hacked, because at least they're being honest.

Also, since it might have confused some people: I hate pretty much every company more or less equally. Don'cha worry about bias. :U

all because of a bunch of self entitled manchildren nerds on the internet got mad that their precious geohot was getting sued for leaking the keys

Also, since it might have confused some people: I hate pretty much every company more or less equally. Don'cha worry about bias. :U
    A fellow equal opportunity hater?