Thread: ATVs

ATVs

So, I've owned an ATV (250cc Arctic Cat utility) about a couple years back, was stationed at my grandparents house (they live in the countryside), and every week or so I'd take it out for some fun in the hills.
    I find ATVs to be the most fun vehicle to drive (not on roads, when one wrong turn = bad), and would love to get back to it on a more serious level (though lack of time at this point is a big problem).

Has anyone ever done this competitively?
    Or just for recreation?

Lastly, what are your opinions regarding those who drive their ATVs in the middle of the street, doing wheelies and stuff (when it's illegal)?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to ride our ATV on my ranch(had a little trailer with it, for chores). Broke down a couple years ago. Had this one straight road that went from the back of the property to the front, real smooth. Loved just going at full speed lol.

I don't mind people on the street using them. Maybe it's because I live in the middle of no where, & there isn't much traffic out here. I find it a bit entertaining to watch, seeing that I can't do it myself.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had a place to drive it recreationally. But no, not in the streets.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone wants to ride their ATV in the street in a place where it is illegal it is their fault if they get caught or get hurt. luckily people don't do that where i live so i don't need to worry about hitting them with my truck.

I have a 2002 Yamaha Big Bear 400 ATV and love it to death i would never ever consider selling it. I ride it ALOT. It is VERY well built, my friends and i have rolled it countless times, redlined it at just over 60 mph, used it to ram through fallen trees in the trails, used it to pull massive tree stumps out of the ground, use it to plow my driveway in the winter, We jump it all the time and bottom out the shocks, We ride wheelies on it quite a bit, we use it all the time in the winter and have ran in untill the header was red hot then ran it into a pond, we do tons of mudbogging with it, and countless other things. I have broken the back tail light, broke a rod that connects the shifter to the engine twice, broke the choke, went through countless batteries, did wheelies and actually had the key mechanism pop out, and wore the rubber out on the original tires and now have some sexy ITP Mud Lite tires. 9 years of constant abuse and that thing refuses to quit.

Riding my ATV out in the woods is one of my favorite things to do and i think it is something everyone should try at least once.
    ATV's are actually quite safe, it is when someone does something stupid on one or gets into an accident is when they become very dangerous due to the weight of the machine.

I will be going up into the mountains thursday to go riding all day and i can not wait to do that

tl;dr my 2002 Yamaha Big Bear 400 is badass and built like a tank, ATV's are awesome and everyone should ride one at least once.