[SOLVED] So. My RAM fails my overclock.

Solved. I increased QPI/VTT and enabled XMP for RAM (rather than disabling as suggested below, heh), and it's now very much stable.
    (One of the stresstests completed)

Yea.
    So I had 2x2048MiB of RAM, and when I was buying extra cooling and a new heatsink for my computer, I thought of buying another 2x2048MiB of the same kind.
    8192MiB might be overkill for most people, but I was approaching 3.80+ GiBs used, and I have been above 4GiBs used since.
    But since putting in the extra two DIMMs, I've had major stability-issues. At first, I started failing stresstests, so I went and re-seated my heatsink, hoping the temps were failing (but suspecting the RAM). I can barely get stock-clocks stable, without overinflating vCore.
    Sure enough, I've gotten BSODs and Wow-errors related to memory since as well, and I've begrudginly accepted the inevitable.
    My memory is what's failing me.

I'm perfectly fine with removing the DIMMs again. But if I can make it work with them, that'd be preferable, obviously.
    Anyone with any knowledge and/or experience with this? I haven't tried with just the two new sticks, so I don't know if they are to blame completely, or the fact that I use four - which I know can cause stabilityissues for some, AMD-users in particular.
    I've postponed trying only the two new DIMMs, due to me having limited supplies of thermal compound left, and I have to remove my heatsink completely to get access to my DIMMs.

Any input appreciated. (But the temps are great!)
    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

CPU: i5-760 (I got lucky and got a really, really good chip, achieving clocks on low vCore if it helps, so I'm used to achieving 4GHz+ on just above stock-voltage)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3
    RAM: 4x2048 MiB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
    Case: Fractal Design, Define (r3)
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-06-14 at 06:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you clocking the RAM to? Have to tried underclocking them?
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    What are you clocking the RAM to? Have to tried underclocking them?
    They're clocked at 1600MHz - ie their rated speed - at 200x8.
    I've yet to try underclocking them, I'll try both that and undervolting tomorrow, and see if I get results. I actually put the modifier down to 6 (my mobo only gets 6, 8 and 10 as multipliers), but I neglected to give it a try.

Good input, will try.

First off, go into your Bios and make sure there is no memory profile auto set (XMP or whatever its called)
    Next, manually set the the timings to the rated numbers.

There is a chance that they second set has a slight deviation in the profile causing memory read errors.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I know on my i7 920 d0 I had to bump my vcore and qdi a bit when I added more sticks in order to get stable again. I too have a great over clock at decent voltage. Memory controller on the cpu will be getting a little more stress.

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    I know on my i7 920 d0 I had to bump my vcore and qdi a bit when I added more sticks in order to get stable again. I too have a great over clock at decent voltage. Memory controller on the cpu will be getting a little more stress.
    That, I already had tried. :<

I will try all the joint suggestions today. Thanks for your input so far; I'm not very experienced with RAM, beyond knowing they're more a headache than they are worth. :P
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    That, I already had tried. :<

I will try all the joint suggestions today. Thanks for your input so far; I'm not very experienced with RAM, beyond knowing they're more a headache than they are worth. :P
    Yeah, unfortunately, the more sticks you add, the harder it is to overclock. Its just that there are more components that have to work together to not crash your computer. You can always jump on the SB train if you want crazy OCs
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, the more sticks you add, the harder it is to overclock. Its just that there are more components that have to work together to not crash your computer. You can always jump on the SB train if you want crazy OCs
    Yea. I know four DIMMs are a far harder pain to get to work than two.
    As far as Sandy Bridge goes, no, I will not. Sandy Bridge-E is a possibility, but I personally don't see the use of going for such a soon upgrade.
    Besides, my i5-760chip can overclock more than 50%, which is more than can be said about all i5-2500Ks
    &nbsp;