Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Fix a laser burn?

--- I wasn't sure whether or not to post this in the computer forums or the video games forums. ---

Can you fix a "lazer-burn"? Plain and simple.

My friend moved his XBox while the disk was spinning and the disk was laser-burned. If you own an XBox you'll know what a laser-burn is. He seems to think that there is a way to fix it. He related it to the data recovery on a hard-drive; blah blah blah. I don't think it's recoverable, and it's defiantly not worth it.

The game in question is Guitar Hero: WoR. As you can see from Gamestop it is $40 new and $30 used. I'd say a used game would equal what he had prior to "the incident". So if there is a repair method that'll cost less than $30 it may be worth the repair, not including the time it'll take to repair it. Otherwise he should buy the game again as used.

Here is a picture of a laser-burn:

So, can it be fixed? Is it worth it?

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    probably MC,trying to get eye of sulfuras >_>
    im not entirely sure, but i think there's no way to repair it

1.) Stop moving the xbox360 while it's turned on
    2.) Take the disk to a game store where they have a disk buffer (ask instore).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Laser burn? You mean a scratch?

10+ Year Old Account
    If its the circular scratch you got, there is most likely no chance of fixing it using a machine that grinds a "layer" off, we have a machine like that where I work (rental store,) and we've never been able to successfully repair one enough to make it playable. Lay the xbox on it's side and leave it there.

example:

Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

It's not done by the laser. It's a physical scratch. Aside from cars, laptops, and portable cd/dvd players, you shouldn't move devices with optical discs, while said optical discs are inside and especially while moving.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrestler10307 View Post
    example:

Yes it's this kind of "burn/scratch". Also, i'm not looking for help preventing future issues, i'm looking for a fix to the current issue.

From everything i've seen, it's too deep to reliably fix.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc is now a coaster. 30 bucks is the price your friend has to pay for his tomfoolery.

What you could do is borrow the same game from someone, install it to your hard drive, and just run it from the hard drive, should work as long as the game disc is in the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peepaw View Post
    What you could do is borrow the same game from someone, install it to your hard drive, and just run it from the hard drive, should work as long as the game disc is in the system.
    Not a bad idea, it does recognize the game. I'll have to bring that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardezar View Post
    Not a bad idea, it does recognize the game. I'll have to bring that up.
    Yeah, as long as it recognizes the game it'll work, that's how I run my Black Ops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peepaw View Post
    Yeah, as long as it recognizes the game it'll work, that's how I run my Black Ops.
    Did ya laser burn it? O_o

i have heard that "play&trade" fixes and reinforces them for 5-10 dollars but i have never actually bought the service to confirm it
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hayharut View Post
    i have heard that "play&trade" fixes and reinforces them for 5-10 dollars but i have never actually bought the service to confirm it
    never heard of that.

Deleted
    I had a scratch on my GTA IV disc and took it to my local GAME store. They tried to recover it and it worked, for about 2 days. They told me in the store that scratched DVD's are very hard to fix and only works if the scratch is minor and you are lucky.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 12:46 PM ----------

Oh, and I believe that for the "install the game" fix the same disc needs to be installed as they contain a personal serial of sorts. I've attempted this on my friends xbox with my Halo 3 disc and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I had a scratch on my GTA IV disc and took it to my local GAME store. They tried to recover it and it worked, for about 2 days. They told me in the store that scratched DVD's are very hard to fix and only works if the scratch is minor and you are lucky.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 12:46 PM ----------

Oh, and I believe that for the "install the game" fix the same disc needs to be installed as they contain a personal serial of sorts. I've attempted this on my friends xbox with my Halo 3 disc and it didn't work.
    This is because the data layer for DVDs is closer to the bottom surface than it is for CDs. BluRays are even closer, damn near THE bottom surface.

Also, highly unlikely there is a unique serial per disc. Why? Because those discs are pressed MANY at a time, ie mass produced, so again, highly unlikely they have unique keys.

Deleted
    Why do you call it a laser burn? I'm fairly sure it's just where a mechanical part inside the drive has scratched the underside of the disc because I doubt the lasers are powerful enough/the right type to even be able to melt/damage plastic like that. The same thing happens to hard drives when moved enough.

Deleted
    Theirs NO WAY to fix it.

Scratch along the track like you have is mechanical failure when the spinning disc hits something, it has got nothing to do with laser itself. Exactly same thing happens when you're lathing some piece of metal or wood, you'll get a circle scratched somewhere. Or if you put a grain of sand into regular plastic CD cover, disc on top of it and spin it with a finger.

Fixing those is practically impossible because several sequential sectors are destroyed and the error correction algorithms can't work out anything out of the mess anymore, it doesn't even have to be very deep scratch. Scratches perpendicular to the data track are usually no problem because error correction can recover one lost sector under the scratch easily.

What you can try is using one of those CD/DVD repair tools that fix scratches by sanding off thin layer of the disc, most game stores, second-hand repair shops and video/game rental shops will have one under the counter and you could try asking nicely if you can borrow it, but chances of fixing scratches that go all the way around the disc along track is nearly zero.

---------- Post added 2011-06-14 at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    This is because the data layer for DVDs is closer to the bottom surface than it is for CDs. BluRays are even closer, damn near THE bottom surface.
    Actually, data layer on printed disc is much closer to the label side of the disc than the bottom for the exact reason that small scratches there will not destroy the discs too easily. Burned discs is another thing, there the data is recorded at/near the outer bottom of the disc and sanding off the disc with repair tool will actually wipe everything out of it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.