Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    i'm not sure i understood this... does that mean that one needs to buy content from a game shop?
    No. Expansions will be done just like all other expansions in the history of mmorpgs. In other words, this is much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    It reads as though they won't be releasing any expansions and instead all expansions will be done through the in-game (or website) store as "micro"-transactions
    "At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model,"

"We felt that this model split our player base unnecessarily and also caused us to focus development effort on things that were redundant with the original release of the game such as tutorial areas and duplicates of already existing skills."

Actually, now that I've read the article carefully, if you read over it, it's pretty clear that they MIGHT release expansions (they didn't say they WON'T release any expansions in boxes).

What they WON'T be doing though is releasing the "stand-alone" expansions. Nightfall/Factions were both almost separate games. Granted I never played the games extensively, but from my knowledge, it fragmented the playerbase a bit. They don't want that with GW2, they want to put more of a focus on community (based on their statements). You can easily do that by releasing boxed expansions as well as a la carte (however you spell it) microtransactions that add new areas to explore/quest or run dungeons, without adding in things like new capitol cities ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    No. Expansions will be done just like all other expansions in the history of mmorpgs. In other words, this is much ado about nothing.
    alright, what's the OP babbling about then :S ... wait.... it's Xema-Do...that dude is useless /thread
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Linzo View Post
    alright, what's the OP babbling about then :S ... wait.... it's Xema-Do...that dude is useless /thread
    Oh how I wish you could ban people for simply being stupid...or sterilize them...or stab them in the face, through the internet (I'm currently working on a machine that will allow you to do this and am taking donations to help fund research).

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Oh how I wish you could ban people for simply being stupid...or sterilize them...or stab them in the face, through the internet (I'm currently working on a machine that will allow you to do this and am taking donations to help fund research).
    Make it work with phones and we have a deal!

15+ Year Old Account
    What? If the article linked is actually true then only one of you can be right...and I'm leaning towards the article since it's coming from one of the leads on the project.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

What? If the article linked is actually true then only one of you can be right...and I'm leaning towards the article since it's coming from one of the leads on the project.
    All the developer said in that interview was there won't be any standalone campaigns like in GW. The expansions will be like EotN in GW (or any of the expansions in WoW).

I suppose some of the confusion is for those who haven't played GW. Each of the campaigns (prophecies, factions, nightfall) can be played without the need of any other. Eye of the North is the more traditional expansion that you see in other mmorpgs. For GW2 they will be getting rid of their standalone campaign model.
    Last edited by Valeron; 2011-06-14 at 04:58 PM.

At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model," revealed Guild Wars 2's lead designer.
    "We felt that this model split our player base unnecessarily and also caused us to focus development effort on things that were redundant with the original release of the game such as tutorial areas and duplicates of already existing skills."
    We did ask Eric what exactly would be sold in-game and even though he wasn't able to give specifics, he did point out that items will be similar to "the kinds of things" included in the first game.
    Only things the lead actually said.

And has edge said most likely they wont do standalone games like nightfall and factions but will have normal expansions

Other sites reporting same info

ArenaNet: No retail expansions for Guild Wars 2
    Tue, Jun 14, 2011
    http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/14/aren...-guild-wars-2/

“At this time we don’t plan to continue with the standalone expansion model,” GW2′s lead designer Eric Flannum told Gamerzines.

“We felt that this model split our player base unnecessarily and also caused us to focus development effort on things that were redundant with the original release of the game such as tutorial areas and duplicates of already existing skills.”

Guild Wars 1 seen two expansions released for retail. But despite getting rid of the boxed expansions, Flannum said that items sold in GW2 via the in-game store would be “the kinds of things” which was included in the first game.

He doesn't explicitly state what "stand alone" means when he refers to expansion. It is implied that when he discusses them, he's talking about expansions that are almost separate games taking place within the same world (but games that fragment the playerbase). WoW doesn't have any standalone expansions, each expansion is part of the game. GW1 has both kinds of expansions, and based off the implied definition of "stand alone", they will be releasing are more along the lines of what you see for just about every other MMO out there.

To understand the articel you kinda need to know how GW worked. They had 3 "main games", "Prophecies", "Factions" and "Nightfall". Having only 1 of those games alone was enough to play it. Each had its own main-storyline and campaign, but you could play with just one of those. "Eye of the North" however was an expansion, so you couldn't play the game with just EotN. And what they say in the interview is that they won't make it likee GW where you had 3 base games, but rather there will only be 1 base game.

The only quote from the dev in the article is "At this time we don't plan to continue with the standalone expansion model." The rest is supposition by the author of the article and nothing more. ANet has neither confirmed nor denied anything about expansions or future content in general.

For anyone who hasn't played Guild Wars this looks confusing and misleading, so here's how it worked:

After the original game, (Prophecies) they released two more games (Factions/Nightfall). These were not expansions, but what they called "stand-alone campaigns" (now read Flannum's quote again). You did not have to own Prophecies to play Factions/Nightfall, you did not have to own Factions to play Nightfall, etc. They were all equivalent to full stand-alone games and were located on completely different maps. Flannum commented on how it was a waste of resources to redo starting areas, tutorials, early game skills, etc., because you could pick up any of these three games and start new. On the other hand, any existing characters made in one campaign could jump to any other attached to your account, essentially making it an expansion as well with a new storyline. Eye of the North was the only expansion, which required one of the previous three to play.

This OP is purposely spreading misinformation, for what reason I have no idea (but I assume it starts with a T and rhymes with roll). WTB moar reports on him plz. It doesn't help that the author of the article is an idiot and has probably not played Guild Wars for more than an hour.

P.S. IMO they made Factions/Nightfall stand-alone to try to nab more new players and give an excuse to charge existing players for a full game instead of an expansion price.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-06-14 at 05:09 PM.

Yeah Gamerzine is awful, full of misinformation (one article of theirs had information from Guild Wars in a Guild Wars 2 article).

Yeah, this seems to be a big misunderstanding of what 'standalone' means. Guild Wars 2 will requires at least the base game for all expansions. They won't be like Factions and Nightfall when added later.

Quote Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
    Yeah, this seems to be a big misunderstanding of what 'standalone' means. Guild Wars 2 will requires at least the base game for all expansions. They won't be like Factions and Nightfall when added later.
    The problem is that people who haven't played GW1 don't know what "stand-alone expansion" means, so this article is being twisted into doomsaying by a SWTOR fanboy.

Seems alot of people have trouble with reading comprehension. They're talking about moving away from Standalone expansions. As in, expansions that you can buy and not even need the original game to play it, like they did with Guild Wars.

All the developer said in that interview was there won't be any standalone campaigns like in GW. The expansions will be like EotN in GW (or any of the expansions in WoW).

I suppose some of the confusion is for those who haven't played GW. Each of the campaigns (prophecies, factions, nightfall) can be played without the need of any other. Eye of the North is the more traditional expansion that you see in other mmorpgs. For GW2 they will be getting rid of their standalone campaign model.
    Basically, this.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-06-14 at 05:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Seems alot of people have trouble with reading comprehension. They're talking about moving away from Standalone expansions. As in, expansions that you can buy and not even need the original game to play it, like they did with Guild Wars.
    I think people are just unfamiliar with the concept of standalone expansions.

In GW, you had 2 of those, nightfall and factions. They both had lvl 1-20(max) areas, and you only had to buy either one of those or the original guild wars (prophecies) to play the game.

OP is just an uninformed troll, GW2 will have the usual expansions, which has already been confirmed afaik.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyve View Post
    To understand the articel you kinda need to know how GW worked. They had 3 "main games", "Prophecies", "Factions" and "Nightfall". Having only 1 of those games alone was enough to play it. Each had its own main-storyline and campaign, but you could play with just one of those. "Eye of the North" however was an expansion, so you couldn't play the game with just EotN.
    This helped, I didn't know each of those was a complete stand-alone game how you're describing
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    I would prefer expansion boxes, but I guess the digital cash cow is cheaper for the ArenaNet.

Still, it's still a day-one buy for me, if I have money at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Xema-Do View Post
    Guild Wars 1 seen two expansions released for retail. But despite getting rid of the boxed expansions, Flannum said that items sold in GW2 via the in-game store would be “the kinds of things” which was included in the first game.
    Ugh, do you even know anything about GW2? I've been following for a while now, and I don't think you quite get it.
    GW1 had 1 expansion and only 1, along with 2 stand alone campaigns. This means that they will be following the same path of EotN with their expansions, rather than the same models of Factions and Nightfall. It split the player base in terms of Tyria, Elona and Cantha.
    It has also been confirmed that expansions will be adding new races. But if you understood GW you would know that he was referring to how expansions will be implemented (along the lines of EotN vs Factions/Nightfall).
    Also, the in game store will be releasing extras, specifically items that will not hinder or impede players who do not choose to partake in the store. So it will not be forced upon you.

Just to clarify, cause it seems you enjoy quotes:

“We haven’t decided on what exactly we are or aren’t going to offer for money post-release. We’re open to whatever our players seem most interested in. If, after release, you guys would like more story content, more dungeons, more events, more maps or whatever, it’s something that we have to consider because ultimately making you happy is what makes us successful. Whether we release that in DLC (like the bonus mission packs in GW1) or whether we do it through expansions (Like Eye of the North) is yet to be determined. As to whether or not there are going to be items like XP boosts available in the in game store, I can only reiterate what we’ve said before (and will continue to say,) that we’ll release details on it when they are available, and that our core philosophy of not requiring you to spend additional money to play the game and not making the game difficult or painful to play in order to encourage you to buy things from the store still stands.” -Eric Flannum

"Right now I’m more and more thinking of the next races to be introduced in future expansion packs and that’s what I’m all excited about. But I’m not revealing any secrets yet!" -Daniel Dociu