Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Both will run wow fine, wow does not use physX.

However wow does support multiple monitors, and the best for that is ATI.
    Wow supports 3D, And the best for that is Nvidia.

So its between if you want more monitors or 3D.
    D. None of the above
    I wish I could afford more monitors or a single 3d one XD
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

at least you caught that now as oppose to later; this helps you make decisions though. If you are looking for a big upgrade for the time being I would suggest going a really nice single GPU then when you make a motherboard and chipset upgrade you could always buy another and go multicards then. The GPU to upgrade to today though will generally vary on your current PSU and how much you want to spend.

If you have 550W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 38A) and 2 x 6 Pin power connectors I would suggest something like the EVGA GTX 570 as it will be in a similar price/performance ballpark of the SLI setup you were looking at with the 2x460, will play all the games you listed at max settings with 60+ fps, and when you upgrade board and chipset way down the road you could always upgrade to a second one in SLI or even x3 SLI, which would be beyond overkill for gaming.

As always though research the compatibility of GPU with your current setup. Hope this helps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Both will run wow fine, wow does not use physX.

However wow does support multiple monitors, and the best for that is ATI.
    Wow supports 3D, And the best for that is Nvidia.

So its between if you want more monitors or 3D.
    Pretty much this.
    Although, I must say, running dual HD monitors at 23", between high and ultra predefined settings, I run 60 FPS in 25 mans with no issue on my GTX460.

NVidia has also been known to run much better with wow than AMD/ATI

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnitronDefesneSystem View Post
    D. None of the above
    I wish I could afford more monitors or a single 3d one XD
    Do you plan to play any other game with physX, Vindictus, sc2 etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Problem solved:
    Buy a 6850. No other solution exists if you can't SLI and you intend on using a dual card setup, but your chipset doesn't support SLI.

AMD runs just fine with modern games, I wouldn't even consider not buying one based on stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could go overkill and get a 6990.

Do you plan to play any other game with physX, Vindictus, sc2 etc?
    Yes, but I don't quite understand the concept of physX

You could go overkill and get a 6990.
    I'm running on a 600w PSU with 40 amps on the 12v. I can barely handel this.
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

physX allows one GPU of your multicard setup [can even be a low end GPU different from your master GPU(s)] to run all physics operations of a game/application. While really cool the problem is there are only so many physX compatible games so it depends which games you want to play.

I would suggest again looking at the gtx 570 as it would be the choice I would go with if I were in your situation. The option (if you do have crossfire support) to run multiple 6850s is there and is not a bad option however I would not recommend it because crossfire is not going to give you 2x the performance of a single 6850, and if you are buying a card now you will want it to last for your future builds. Here is where the 570 will have the advantage as it will outperform almost all other options you currently have, has room to be overclocked, gives you future options of +2x SLI, and will not cost much more than the 460 SLI setup you were looking at.
    Last edited by ziekatron; 2011-06-14 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't consider a Nvidia card for PhysX at all. There's 0 reason to do so at this point, as today's GPUs are powerful enough to handle games without PhysX just fine.

SC2 runs fine on AMd cards. So does Vindictus. La Noire, Mafia II. It's just another dumb gimmick.

Now read his previous posts people.
    He can't SLI.
    He's planning on Xfire 6850's, now stop replying.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I wouldn't consider a Nvidia card for PhysX at all. There's 0 reason to do so at this point, as today's GPUs are powerful enough to handle games without PhysX just fine.

SC2 runs fine on AMd cards. So does Vindictus. La Noire, Mafia II. It's just another dumb gimmick.

Now read his previous posts people.
    He can't SLI.
    He's planning on Xfire 6850's, now stop replying.
    agreed no one should choose a card based on PhysX, I was explaining because he was curious about it. His decision now that he can't SLI is go with a crossfire of the cards he was looking at (6850) or maybe looking at another option purposed which is a more powerful single GPU. This third option may be worth thinking about for him as it might end up being the most performance for price and have the higher longevity; giving him more options in future gaming, overclocking, and upgrades. Just trying to help :-)
    Last edited by ziekatron; 2011-06-14 at 11:06 PM.

Also, can anyone explain what cuda is?

Deleted
    Nvidia has slighly more optimized titles than ATI. Their drivers are also a little better imo. Hence I'd opt for the 460. But in any case it's no big difference.

The 6850 is hands down the better card, even though it's a little more expensive now than the cheapest GTX 460. However, claims of Nvidia being the better choice for a "proper" system is laughable. Both companies produce stellar performing cards, with either, you're winning. Also, 6800 Barts GPUs have far superior Crossfire scaling than GTX 400 series cards have in SLI.

That said, AMD video cards also produce a higher quality image in video (such as movies, AVIs, WMVs, etc.) than Nvidia cards (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...orce,2844.html).

However, once you get into the 6900 Cayman line and the GTX500 line, then things get hairier and Nvidia starts to come out ahead.

To answer your question, Omnitron, CUDA cores are essentialy Nvidia's proprietary GPU cores, that's about all.

Also, what about the 560? (not ti) It's only like 20 dollars more than a 460.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, what about the 560? (not ti) It's only like 20 dollars more than a 460.
    Meh. 6850 CF > 560

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Meh. 6850 CF > 560
    Which costs almost twice as much as the 560.

And for the record, I'd suggest a 6850 for power reasons.

I'm running on a 600w PSU with 40 amps on the 12v. I can barely handel this.
    Let me guess... Corsair CX600 ? It's actually about 500W, but you can run any single GPU setup on it. Even GTX 580 uses about 20A.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Let me guess... Corsair CX600 ? It's actually about 500W, but you can run any single GPU setup on it. Even GTX 580 uses about 20A.
    Cooler Master silent pro m, 600 w model

Cooler Master silent pro m, 600 w model
    It uses group regulation, but all of the cheaper PSUs do, so it's ok. You can afford to power a faster GPUs than HD6850/GTX460, but if it's between the two I'd choose HD6850. It's faster and it consumes about 3A less.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-06-15 at 06:15 PM.

Deleted
    Cuda is is a "technology" in most nvidia cards that allows your Graphics card to process very long taking processes like video encoding and rendering and stuff. Since overall your graphics card is much more powerfull than your cpu.
    So letting with CUDA, letting your GPU render a video is much faster than having your CPU do it.