Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippny View Post
    DO NOT GET IPAD 2

Ipad 3 coming out at the end of this year, save your money and get the upgrade...if you plan on getting one at all.
    WHATEVER YOU DO< DO NOT GET THE iPAD 3 BECAUSE THE iPAD 4 IS COMING

Like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeyecycle View Post
    WHATEVER YOU DO< DO NOT GET THE iPAD 3 BECAUSE THE iPAD 4 IS COMING

Like that?
    Most likely and don't forget that iPhone 6 is faster and better than iPhone 5! The crazy person around the corner thought he heard someone saying that who heard it from the wind...

@OP If you just use it for reading and occasional typing, get it. It's more portable than a laptop and perfect for your needs.
    Only downside I see is the size, but that's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Palamino View Post
    Would an iPad be good for me.?
    I currently don't have a laptop, but i do have a desktop computer and an iPod touch. I have read a bunch of reviews, and most of them say that they barely use their laptops anymore. Most people say they just use their laptops to print, and write long documents. Printing is coming in ios 4.2, I wont be getting the iPad until Christmas, so it will already have multitasking and printing built in. I am currently in 9th grade, and i mainly use my moms laptop for reading articles online, and lite document typing. I would also get the Bluetooth keyboard for typing documents that i need. I would also take it to school for typing documents on the pages app during study hall. It would be much easier to carry around then a laptop being light and thin. I have also tried the virtual keyboard and I type pretty good on it, maybe a little bit slower then i would on a physical keyboard. Then at home, i can finish up the document on the Bluetooth keyboard. Does this sound better than a laptop. Lighter, smaller,almost the same typing speed, and quickly turning it on and off and opening different apps.
    Yes I so wish I had one when I was in school. I love it as a portable web device it is awesome.

If all you need to do on a computer is goto cnn.com and play angry birds then the ipad would be great. Anything else, get a laptop.
    No pandas for me, thanks.

Deleted
    Or get a tablet that isnt made by apple, has better performance and costs less than half of the ipad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    Or get a tablet that isnt made by apple, has better performance and costs less than half of the ipad.
    the ipad is one of if not the cheapest tablet, and as far as interfacing goes, it is the best

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    the ipad is one of if not the cheapest tablet, and as far as interfacing goes, it is the best
    Cheapest? I lolled, I'm sure you think that the Ipad is the cheapest when you're an Apple Asskisser and didnt bother to look for alternatives.
    No sir, the ipad is not cheap, considering what you get in return hardwarewise.
    Same goes for interfacing. Android OS is almost similar.

I would go with an Ipad all the way my man.

If your really worried about the limitations of the device you can always save your money up for a cheap desktop and set a virtual desktop. Citrix makes a great reviver program already available to Iphone/ipad users and is pretty seamless imo. Its what I run and its how avoid the entire flash/blahs/blash QQ most user's have. Hell my vm box can run wow great which is ported over even better to my ipad, just funky to control with the touch screen lol. The touch screen control is translate through citrix as mouse movement, where tapping on the screen indicates clicking and the keyboard can still be brought up for typing. Though if your going to be doing alot of work a wireless keyboard/mose might save you alot of time.

If your unfamiliar with desktop virtualization then it might be a fun project for you to dive into.

---------- Post added 2011-06-15 at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
    I would go with an Ipad all the way my man.

If your really worried about the limitations of the device you can always save your money up for a cheap desktop and set a virtual desktop. Citrix makes a great reviver program already available to Iphone/ipad users and is pretty seamless imo. Its what I run and its how avoid the entire flash/windows application/blash QQ most user's have. Hell my vm box can run wow great which is ported over even better to my ipad, just funky to control with the touch screen lol.

If your unfamiliar with desktop virtualization then it might be a fun project for you to dive into.

Laptops are clunky, hard to work with and generally don't provide enough usability to off set the cost/weight of the unit.
    Last edited by Firehorse; 2011-06-15 at 10:13 PM. Reason: screwed the pooch

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheapest? I lolled, I'm sure you think that the Ipad is the cheapest when you're an Apple Asskisser and didnt bother to look for alternatives.
    http://www.tabletpccomparison.com/ta...ce-comparison/

i've played with adroid tablets, the interface is nowhere near as good as the ipad's, stop assuming that anyone who owns an apple product is an apple fanboy

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I just looked for alternatives, and found ONE tablet under $500 (CAD). So yes, the iPad 2 IS cheap.
    I'm not too fond of apple, and would NEVER buy a mac. But I would buy an iPad
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    why wouldn't you buy a mac Skelly? and if you say price don't bother replying

either way it's great for surfing the web, take and read notes and have up and about, not much more tho.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-06-15 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    why wouldn't you buy a mac Skelly? and if you say price don't bother replying
    I won't say price. I'll say... Value
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Well I just looked for alternatives, and found ONE tablet under $500 (CAD). So yes, the iPad 2 IS cheap....
    There are plenty of tablets under $500 CAD...
    http://ncix.com/products/?minorcatid=1384&po=0&ps=2
    http://ncix.com/products/?minorcatid=1385&po=0&ps=2

But aside from that comparison, I still think it's important to compare the value of tablets to that of a Netbook, which is much less expensive and can in many cases do more, without being huge like a regular laptop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    I won't say price. I'll say... Value
    ...value? you mean bang for your buck?
    while I agree that macs are weak in a dollar per dollar comparison, I still haven't heard of an off the shelf-product with the macbook's specs that has the same whisper-quiet cooling, stylish looks (really, looks matter) and the same battery time cheaper.

not saying one doesn't exist, just saying I haven't heard of one. buying my macbook was one of the best things I did, and I like macs in general. yes it's pricier than the economic-choice PC laptop, but then again, I drive a Mercedes, and I don't know about you but I haven't heard of anyone ever impressed with a Škoda. sure they both have wheels and you can drive them both, but that's not all that matters is it?

while I agree that macs are weak in a dollar per dollar comparison, I still haven't heard of an off the shelf-product with the macbook's specs that has the same whisper-quiet cooling, stylish looks (really, looks matter) and the same battery time cheaper.
    1. If i'm not mistaken, that "whisper-quiet" isn't as effective, and as such Macs tend to run warmer.
    2. "Stylish Looks" Wait, what? I think they look retarded. Whether something looks good or not, is 100% opinion.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    1. If i'm not mistaken, that "whisper-quiet" isn't as effective, and as such Macs tend to run warmer.
    2. "Stylish Looks" Wait, what? I think they look retarded. Whether something looks good or not, is 100% opinion.
    let me correct myself: under normal usage outside of using the gpu.
    and say what you will about how macs look, I've yet to meet someone in real life that dislikes the way macs look.

I might be a little bit biased because I hate apple with a burning passion, but I wouldn't get one. Get a laptop, then in a few years get an even BETTER LAPTOP!
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

let me correct myself: under normal usage outside of using the gpu.
    and say what you will about how macs look, I've yet to meet someone in real life that dislikes the way macs look.
    I've yet to ever ask someone in real life. And honestly, the people I know in real life, are a drop in the bucket compared to the people in the world. Yes many people like the aluminum unibody look. I don't, I want my computer, to look like a computer, not a singular piece of metal. I'm not alone either, there are others who dislike it as well. Not to mention the people in between who don't like nor dislike it. It's still, opinion, both ways.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    To clarify some things stated in this thread that were wrong, and to shed some insight for you, OP.

1) The iPad is already able to print via AirPrint on its current version. You either need an epson or HP printer, or plug your off-brand printer into an Airport Express.
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airprint.html

2) There are apps you can download in the appstore that will allow you to visit/view flash content.
    http://www.skyfire.com/en/product/ipad is one of many examples

3) It's already been proven that the iPad is THE best tablet on the market.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/05/...ablet-ratings/

---

OP, I say go for it. You can download your text books into the iBooks app so that you won't have to ever carry heavy books or even a backpack again. There's a few great apps where you won't even need to type or use a keyboard, you can use your finger or a stylus pen to take notes as if you were writing on a piece of paper. You could use an iPad from now all the way through college.

There's always going to be a newer version of something or other, so it's up to you if you want to wait for the next model or take the iPad2. Either way, it's a great tablet for everything and more considering what you are looking for.

Good luck!
    Last edited by iMax; 2011-06-15 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware *shudders*