Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    For me it's 1.3V for 4.5GHz, but when I want to go to 4.6 I need 1.38+V (haven't really tested how much exactly). Imo the extra current and temps are not worth the minimal gain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe I just have a strange chip :P
    I'm going to look into it when I have more time, probably in a few weeks.
    Nope, all chips do this to some degree. It's just some chips' exponential curves are steeper than others...the 4.6 to 4.7ghz jump is what requires my chip significantly more vcore. For me it's about finding the sweetspot between temps and performance, atleast till I get a WC setup.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Name: Ash
    Processor: i7 920
    Clock: 3988 MHZ
    Voltage: Auto in bios
    Cooler: H60 corsair
    Screenshot LINK: Name: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/cpuida.jpg/
    Valid CPU-Z LINK: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1974616

Oh well, maybe I can get 4.7GHz with 1.4. If not, I'm staying with what I have now. 0.1V and the additional 10C+ extra is not really worth 0.1 GHz :P

Deleted
    Currently, work in progress, don't put this up, this is the post I'll edit;
    Name: Hmmster
    Clock: 3800MHz
    Voltage: Auto
    Cooler: NH-D14
    Screenshot:http://i.imgur.com/yh9DB.png
    CPU-Z: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1974735

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Oh well, maybe I can get 4.7GHz with 1.4. If not, I'm staying with what I have now. 0.1V and the additional 10C+ extra is not really worth 0.1 GHz :P
    Here I am sitting at those extra 0.1 GHz and boy do they make a difference. WHEW! The internets is so fast that I need a slower web browser in order to cope

When you overclock and mind your voltage, what's your load line calibration set to?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Here I am sitting at those extra 0.1 GHz and boy do they make a difference. WHEW! The internets is so fast that I need a slower web browser in order to cope

When you overclock and mind your voltage, what's your load line calibration set to?
    Going from 4.6 to 4.7 makes my ESET Smart Security fail at startup because the computer hasn't gotten the service started yet. >_>
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine's usually at Extreme or Ultra.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Wait.... it needed 1.4+volts to reach 2.8 GHz? PLEASE tell me that's just default...

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 05:08 AM ----------

Sweet deal! Watch it for like the first 20 minutes just to be sure your cooling is working properly and what-not, don't want it bursting into flames while you're asleep. Boy I'd feel shitty for being the one prodding you to do so. =/
    ...Woah, why is my CPU's voltage so high? Is that normal for the phenom ii x6? Never touched the voltages, is that the default? Now I'm all worried that that is why my temperatures have been kinda high.
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnitronDefenseSystem View Post
    ...Woah, why is my CPU's voltage so high? Is that normal for the phenom ii x6? Never touched the voltages, is that the default? Now I'm all worried that that is why my temperatures have been kinda high.
    Higher voltage definitely would contribute to higher temps. Do you know what your CPU's temps are typically?

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    kinda my point, running prime 95 for this test was only to get cpuz to show your system under load, not to show off your stability, so if he onyl runs it for a minute that's long enough for the purposes of the thread
    Doing it longer though can really show you got it stable. But hey, whatever you want to do is fine, I'm just one for making sure it's stable. I think Fuzzykins kind of wants the list of overclockers to also be where we know they are stable at that clock and 2 hours in Prime won't crash the computer. I don't know how long my computer was doing Prime95 Blend last night before it BSOD'd but I woke up today and came down and had a BSOD. So, I upped the voltage to a whopping 1.35v for 4.5GHz now, but as for right now, not posting anything till I know for sure it's stable.... Going to render some video footage now!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Doing it longer though can really show you got it stable. But hey, whatever you want to do is fine, I'm just one for making sure it's stable. I think Fuzzykins kind of wants the list of overclockers to also be where we know they are stable at that clock and 2 hours in Prime won't crash the computer. I don't know how long my computer was doing Prime95 Blend last night before it BSOD'd but I woke up today and came down and had a BSOD. So, I upped the voltage to a whopping 1.35v for 4.5GHz now, but as for right now, not posting anything till I know for sure it's stable.... Going to render some video footage now!
    Lookup the event viewer and it'll tell you what time of the BSOD and the reason. I wouldn't just straight up the vcore unless I found it was a 124 error code...but maybe that's just me.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Lookup the event viewer and it'll tell you what time of the BSOD and the reason. I wouldn't just straight up the vcore unless I found it was a 124 error code...but maybe that's just me.
    It was 124, I SAW IT ON THE BSOD. But you know that one guide from overclock.net that I think you, or maybe Asmekiel posted, said 124 means you should up the PLL voltage.... or down it. Idk, I just put that thing back on auto.... the PLL voltage no one ever talks about and I'm uncomfortable fucking with.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 07:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Urbi View Post
    Name: Urbi-PC
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (Bloomfield)
    Clock:3.78GHz
    Voltage: 1.26 Vcore
    Cooler: Coolmaster V8
    Screenshot LINK: http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3589/oc2r.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1974078
    /thumbs up on the 13 hours running Prime! Nice job!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was 124, I SAW IT ON THE BSOD. But you know that one guide from overclock.net that I think you, or maybe Asmekiel posted, said 124 means you should up the PLL voltage.... or down it. Idk, I just put that thing back on auto.... the PLL voltage no one ever talks about and I'm uncomfortable fucking with.
    Well some systems reboot after the blue screen and you didn't specifically say 124 error code :P.

I would just increment the vcore another .05 and try again. And I haven't done anything to my PLL's or any other options in MSI's board, just changed the vcore, vdroop to low.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh jeeze. O.o I forgot all about this. I'll get around to updating it sometime this week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Well some systems reboot after the blue screen and you didn't specifically say 124 error code :P.

I would just increment the vcore another .05 and try again. And I haven't done anything to my PLL's or any other options in MSI's board, just changed the vcore, vdroop to low.
    Yeah I upped the voltage by .005. :P It is now 1.35. =S

I knew I'd get a bad chip, I'm never destined to get the best unless I pay for it. LESIGH.

Video rendering in WMM is going fine, temps are fine, and if my memory serves me right, I started the blend test last night oh around 3am? Looks like it didn't crash till almost 6am. 3 hours, not too bad.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Oh jeeze. O.o I forgot all about this. I'll get around to updating it sometime this week.
    Which will become next week.... and then the week after that.... and then the week after.... no I'm just kidding. :3 I might update soon'ish though for 4.5GHz.

---------- Post added 2011-08-29 at 07:52 PM ----------

btw, since it is relevant, some of you may enjoy this. :P

"A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tuning down PLL voltage (auto = 1.8V for me) to 1.75 made the last bit for perfect stability on my overclock. Also it lowered temperature, both idle and load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tuning down PLL voltage (auto = 1.8V for me) to 1.75 made the last bit for perfect stability on my overclock. Also it lowered temperature, both idle and load.
    Yeah, I'll have to read up more on it. It's I think around 1.79-1.8 atm. =/
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done. That was really intricate and annoying work. T.T Message me with any errors. Also, there are a few people I didn't even bother with. Those would be the people who can't follow format.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never heard of a 0x124 referring to PLL voltage. On Sandy Bridge, a 0x124 is either QPI/VTT or vCore. You have 16GB of higher-than-stock-speed RAM. I wouldn't doubt you need your VTT bumped up slightly (1.09-1.12v or so, default is 1.05v, max is usually stated to be "under 1.2v"). Also, remember that Sandy Bridge doesn't like the difference between VDIMM (RAM voltage) and VTT to be more than 0.5v apart. So if you have 1.65v RAM and a default 1.05v VTT, it could be causing issues.

As far as PLL, I'd suggest enabling PLL Overvoltage and then lowering CPU PLL to 1.750v. That's been the best average stable point for PLL from everything I've read. It's also my current setup.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-08-29 at 08:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I've never heard of a 0x124 referring to PLL voltage. On Sandy Bridge, a 0x124 is either QPI/VTT or vCore. You have 16GB of higher-than-stock-speed RAM. I wouldn't doubt you need your VTT bumped up slightly (1.09-1.12v or so, default is 1.05v, max is usually stated to be "under 1.2v"). Also, remember that Sandy Bridge doesn't like the difference between VDIMM (RAM voltage) and VTT to be more than 0.5v apart. So if you have 1.65v RAM and a default 1.05v VTT, it could be causing issues.

As far as PLL, I'd suggest enabling PLL Overvoltage and then lowering CPU PLL to 1.750v. That's been the best average stable point for PLL from everything I've read. It's also my current setup.
    Thanks for that. Yeah I did make sure to have the VCCIO and RAM voltage .5v apart or w.e. RAM is 1.65, the VCCIO is 1.15.

Maybe I'll work on this later, I really need to eat though... x_X
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for that. Yeah I did make sure to have the VCCIO and RAM voltage .5v apart or w.e. RAM is 1.65, the VCCIO is 1.15.

Maybe I'll work on this later, I really need to eat though... x_X
    1.15v is really creeping up on the VCCIO (VTT). I'd contact your RAM manufacturers and see if the RAM will operate properly on 1.5v (some will, some won't). If they say yes, I'd try RAM at 1.5v and VCCIO at 1.10v or so.