Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveros View Post
    I have the Antec DF-85 case; the two rear/top fans are blowing air out and three front fans are blowing air in.
    Switch the 140mm top fan that's in front to intake, it'll blow cool air straight down into your CPU cooler and reduce temps overall by a few degrees. Also, get some better thermal paste =/ Even cured, AS5 is pretty bad. You can still get some OCZ Freeze from Tiger Direct (or get it through Amazon), or just opt for some MX-4.

Deleted
    Prime 95 test (done for 3, left for 24 hours already with same temp and 0 errors)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CPU Validate

While i'm sure i'm not near the top of any overclocking, i'm quite proud of how much i've squeazed out of my little machine.

As far as cooling equipment goes, the SLI cards are Tripple slot cooled Asus GTX 850's and i have a A70 for the main CPU. The case itself is also a Darkfleet 85. Personaly I think all this cooling is madness if you dont do any cable managment!
    Last edited by mmoc6edda12fdb; 2011-10-30 at 10:04 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Here's my submission Lol I'll probably go for higher once I get some more free time.

Name: Saithes
    Processor: i7 2600K
    Clock: 5200MHz
    Voltage: 1.53v
    Cooler: EK Supreme HF Waterblock
    Screenshot LINK: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/5017/5200.png
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2071268

I could probably lower the voltage, I just picked a random voltage above 1.45 but lower than 1.6 lol
    1.53v in BIOS (idle) and at load means you're running with some fairly high LLC. You don't like that CPU much, do you? You're probably microspiking upwards of 1.60-1.62v.

In any case, updated to this point. Danjal, please re-post with the requested formatting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    1.53v in BIOS (idle) and at load means you're running with some fairly high LLC. You don't like that CPU much, do you? You're probably microspiking upwards of 1.60-1.62v.

In any case, updated to this point. Danjal, please re-post with the requested formatting.
    I've pushed higher voltage than 1.6-1.62v.. Around 1.75-1.78v before lol But actually.. that 1.53v was using Offset with no LLC. I only run manual voltage for benchmarking. When its 24/7 I just run offset so the voltage reduces on idle.

What's surprising is I have yet to see any degradation as far as what capable overclocks I can attain.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-10-30 at 07:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most guides recommend disabling Internal PLL Overvoltage, but yesterday I found out that I can't even get a boot with 4.8ghz @ 1.375v, 1.38v and 1.39v. With PLL enabled I could get a boot at 1.375v easily, a stable P95 run with ~1.385-1.39v.
    Will probably install Everest/Speedfan to get a more accurate reading on voltages, I really want to see the micro-effects of PLL/LLC.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-30 at 07:53 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Most guides recommend disabling Internal PLL Overvoltage, but yesterday I found out that I can't even get a boot with 4.8ghz @ 1.375v, 1.38v and 1.39v. With PLL enabled I could get a boot at 1.375v easily, a stable P95 run with ~1.385-1.39v.
    Will probably install Everest/Speedfan to get a more accurate reading on voltages, I really want to see the micro-effects of PLL/LLC.
    PLL is just the Phase Lock Loop which generates the frequency(if I recall) for the chip itself. It's not the same as LLC and actually most reputable guides I have seen recommend it on since it allows you to go over the wall of 4.6-4.8GHz on most all SB chips.

Deleted
    Name: Danjal
    Processor:Intel Core i7 CPU 860
    Clock:4013.33 MHz
    Voltage:1.408
    Cooler:Corsair A70
    Screenshot LINK: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/prime95k.jpg/
    Valid CPU-Z link:http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2057890

sure i could disable HT and go higher but then why bother buying an i7

better?
    Last edited by mmoc6edda12fdb; 2011-10-30 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    PLL is just the Phase Lock Loop which generates the frequency(if I recall) for the chip itself. It's not the same as LLC and actually most reputable guides I have seen recommend it on since it allows you to go over the wall of 4.6-4.8GHz on most all SB chips.
    Wait which "wall" are we talking about here? I thought it was at the 52-55x multipliers where you run into a literal WALL and no amount of vCore helps stabilize the OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
    Name: Danjal
    Processor:Intel Core i7 CPU 860
    Clock:4013.33 MHz
    Voltage:1.408
    Cooler:Corsair A70
    Screenshot LINK: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/prime95k.jpg/
    Valid CPU-Z link:http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2057890

sure i could disable HT and go higher but then why bother buying an i7

better?
    Pretty nice 1.2ghz OC there. And it depends on whether YOU are making any use of HT otherwise it's just coming in your way.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-30 at 08:29 PM.

Deleted
    I need it for my video editing I do, thats the main reason for all that ram/overclock

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait which "wall" are we talking about here? I thought it was at the 52-55x multipliers where you run into a literal WALL and no amount of vCore helps stabilize the OC.
    A lot of chips hit a wall at 4.6-4.8 where the voltage requirements shoot up without PLL Overvoltage but enabling it can reduce the amount the voltage needed for a clock speed because it stabilizes the PLL.

A good example of this is.. My chip takes 1.45v for 4.8 without PLL Overvoltage but if I enable it I can run it at 1.36-1.37v stable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that makes sense
    I saw the idle voltage at 1.392, and then as soon as I started P95 it started dropping right away something like 1.386...1.380...1.374 and I was like "cmon LLC do your job!" and then *poof* back to 1.392. LLC is Ultra High and Phase is Extreme.

Deleted
    Was having a shower moments ago and heard a huge bang, at first I ran out since i was running furbar and thought i fucked my pc.. turns out a car outside had blown its engine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
    Was having a shower moments ago and heard a huge bang, at first I ran out since i was running furbar and thought i fucked my pc.. turns out a car outside had blown its engine.
    I laughed for a second.
    Last time I heard a bang was my PSU blowing up on me. Smoke was comming out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Switch the 140mm top fan that's in front to intake, it'll blow cool air straight down into your CPU cooler and reduce temps overall by a few degrees. Also, get some better thermal paste =/ Even cured, AS5 is pretty bad. You can still get some OCZ Freeze from Tiger Direct (or get it through Amazon), or just opt for some MX-4.
    Not sure what you're saying. His front fans are intake... Top/back should (almost) always be exhaust, while side and front should be intake.

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with AS5. It's one of the better thermal paste's out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only gripe with making the top fan as an intake is it would practically double the amount of dust entering the system, plus my top fan has no filter. One of the best things about having a top exhaust is it makes it fairly difficult for dust to settle on your case. I haven't cleaned my graphics card's backplate since I bought it and it's still clean as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post
    Not sure what you're saying. His front fans are intake... Top/back should (almost) always be exhaust, while side and front should be intake.

Also, absolutely nothing wrong with AS5. It's one of the better thermal paste's out there.
    Yeah, I'm not changing my fan setup. I'm going to give reseating my cooler another shot, but if that doesn't help I just may have hit a thermal wall with my particular chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Arisfarreach View Post

Look at it like this: You have two fans on top, right?

Now, the top-front fan is literally pulling cool air away from the push fan on the HSF, see? By inverting that top-front fan to intake, it will draw cool air from above, directly into the HSF's push fan, which then gets exhausted out the back and top-back fan. By doing so, there will most certainly be a solid 2-5C drop in your CPU temperature.

Personally, on my Storm Sniper case, my temps leaving it as exhaust were about 40-42C on the CPU on idle and ~75C full load. Since inverting it to intake, my idle temps range from 36-38C with full load temperatures a full 3-4C less at 71-73C. This is with a Hyper 212+ in push/pull. So no, depending on the type of case you have, you can most certainly break convention and increase the cooling potential of your case by doing these slight tweaks.

"Oh, but heat rises, physics, derp derp." Heat rises so obnoxiously slowly that it doesn't matter, at all. Heat will go where ever you tell it to go, which is why positive pressure cooling is extremely successful. With even a semi-well ventilated case, you can have ALL of your fans be intake, have no fan on your back exhaust, have slotted PCI brackets (or just remove them entirely) and have excellent airflow, as the air will just escape out of any opening it can.

And AS5 is crud :P Many better TIMs out there with no curing period that give better temperatures, too.

My only gripe with making the top fan as an intake is it would practically double the amount of dust entering the system, plus my top fan has no filter. One of the best things about having a top exhaust is it makes it fairly difficult for dust to settle on your case. I haven't cleaned my graphics card's backplate since I bought it and it's still clean as heck.
    >,> I haven't dusted my case since, because there's hardly any in there I've found that it just pushes the dust out of the case naturally. I live in west-central Florida, this place is a dust magnet, especially when you keep all windows open nearly 24/7/364. YMMV, though

Quote Originally Posted by Maveros View Post
    Yeah, I'm not changing my fan setup. I'm going to give reseating my cooler another shot, but if that doesn't help I just may have hit a thermal wall with my particular chip.
    I just looked at your screen shot, and holy shit. Maybe it has something to do with that 5GHz OC you have coupled with AS5's million year cure time?
    Last edited by Cantii; 2011-10-31 at 12:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And AS5 is crud :P Many better TIMs out there with no curing period that give better temperatures, too.
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/coliul.html

nom nom nom!

I was thinking more along the lines of MX-3 or OCZ Freeze

... In other news, I just found out Sidewinder sells MX-3... hmm... I might have to buy me some of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking more along the lines of MX-3 or OCZ Freeze

... In other news, I just found out Sidewinder sells MX-3... hmm... I might have to buy me some of that.
    Oh, lol whoops :P I still love Liquid Ultra lol