Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Might buy Unicorn - Some questions

Aight, so I'm thinking of purchase this months Unicorn. Some questions did arise though:

1. Is this a silent computer? (silent, yes, I know, it is a matter of personal tolerance. Still, some hints would be awsome^^)
    2. I live in Sweden and all your links are from Amazon.com, I've no experiance from that site, is it relyable for me to purchase them from Amazon? Will the shiping take long? Sence the prises skyrocket if I check swedish sites
    3. What is SSD? Havn't build a computer in years, don't recognize that one^^

Cheers for the help and bigg thanks to chaud for keeping the computertalk going

Ah BTW got this msg:

The following items cannot be shipped to the addresses you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping addresses or remove the items by clicking Delete.

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600K cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-120G cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    Radeon XFX HD 6970 2 GB Graphics Card cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    ASUS LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 Supported Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2400 Motherboards P8Z68-V PRO cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    Western Digital WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 6 GB/S 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Bulk/OEM 3.5-Inch Desktop Hard Drive cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    G.Skill Ripjaws - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    Any Sweeds here who could help me? I'm lost.

The following items cannot be shipped to the addresses you selected. (Learn more.) You may either change the shipping addresses or remove the items by clicking Delete.

LiteOn IHAS224-19 Lite-On 24x DVD-RW LightScribe SATA cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    XFX Radeon HD 6970 - Graphics adapter - Radeon HD 6970 - PCI Express 2.1 x16 - 2 GB GDDR5 - DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    Cooler Master Haf Rc-932 Case cannot be shipped to the selected address.
    From the UK site, we're getting there, though the motherboard I could not find on the UK site... Just picked something which looked like the "right" one, I've no Idea if it is -.- mainly did it just to see if I could get it all shiped...
    Last edited by Zephire; 2011-06-13 at 07:40 AM.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Deleted
    I had the same dilemma for where to find my components when I first looked to building my own rig, but give yourself some time to look around the web to hunt down the cheapest deals (Legit websites of course) and you'll find them eventually.

Checkout this really handy post that someone so kindly made on the forums:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-PC-s-Laptops

That should get you started. But as for Amazon.COM you won't be able to buy from there as far as I know, they only ship within the US. Maybe you could try out Amazon.co.uk or you could try the German, Austrian or French versions. Amazon is a legitimate website but it'd often overpriced (IMO) But generally prices in Europe are much higher than they are in the US, there's no getting away from it I'm afraid.

SSD = Solid State Drive - You don't require an SSD for your PC to run, it's an optional piece of tech that just boots software faster and writes information quicker. It cuts down the time it takes for your operating system to boot up from power on etc. It also serves to shorten the loading screens on WoW if that's the game of your choice.

As for the noise level of the Unicorn setup, I wouldn't even worry about it. The only time a rig with that sort of price tag would ever experience any "unbearable" noise is if you do something horribly wrong when you're putting it together, or the system is put under an extreme amount of stress.

15+ Year Old Account
    Definitely wouldn't worry about the sound level - it will be pretty quiet. It makes less noise than a ceiling fan.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Rhixion View Post
    Checkout this really handy post that someone so kindly made on the forums:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...s-PC-s-Laptops
    The problem with "countrysites" is that I can't find the peices Cheers for the help though
    Well met!
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephire View Post
    The problem with "countrysites" is that I can't find the peices Cheers for the help though
    Considering Scandinavia has a huge population of gamers I'm sure there'll be some websites catering to such a vast market. What pieces exactly can you not find on the sites you're looking at?

Deleted
    people should read the stickies more often

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/912692?p=11640486

http://www.komplett.se/k/shoplist.as...1-70DA9BA55636

Derp, only the RAM and DVD was really missing from the site. Substituted it with reliable replacements.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-06-13 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Fixed link. Should work now. :U

10+ Year Old Account
    Inet.se, webhallen.com and komplett.se all reliable and have a good amount of stuff.

Inet got free shipping to members of sweclockers.com, sign up and save moneh. A good community as well as a decent hardware news site.

SSD is a new kind of harddrive using flash memory. It is way faster than a mechanical HDD and helps speeding up loading times and the like. They still cost a lot of money, though. However reading how much OCZ customers feel screwed due to broken SSDs (sandforce SF-2200 based ones have been in stormy weather as of recently), I'd go with an Intel one if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    http://www.komplett.se/k/shoplist.as...gListId=938173

Derp, only the RAM and DVD was really missing from the site. Substituted it with reliable replacements.
    Only you can see your shopping list.

Yes, it is very likely I can't find the part because I only have knowlage to search for what the post said, I don't know ANYTHING about the parts or what I should replace a missing part with for okayish preformance.

I mean, I see a differance in cache memory and I can't tell if it is good or bad, if it effects my other parts or just isn't cut for my machine. Trying to understand but I seriously have NO clue where to start.

Checked komplett again though I can't find almost anything there, of the Unicorn parts that is. It might be a small name change or whatever, I can't tell the differance, I don't even know if it will make a differance^^
    Last edited by Zephire; 2011-06-13 at 09:05 AM.
    Well met!

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Only you can see your shopping list.
    Oops, I forgot to get the sharing link.

Fixed that shit.

tried komplett.no or komplett.se?

Oops, I forgot to get the sharing link.

Fixed that shit.
    So that is everything and you've replaced 2 things with equal parts? Cheers!

13 000 kr -.- Like 3k more expensive then amazon^^ A whole graphic card with other words :P
    Well met!

Deleted
    I bought mine from inet.se (ships from Gothenburg) and I would really recommend that site. Has a nice stock, ships in under 24 hours, superb service etc.

15+ Year Old Account
    Take the price you get at Amazon.com and pluss 25%.

Americans dont pay VAT tax, but the toll customs will make you pay tax!

Cost is 10 000 SEK? * 1.25 = 12 500. Thus you save 500 SEK BEFORE shipping, and you make customer service complicated.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Please don't consider this as off topic, but is unicorn a type of computer company? i.e. dell/hp, so on? or what?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Versedian View Post
    Please don't consider this as off topic, but is unicorn a type of computer company? i.e. dell/hp, so on? or what?
    It's the monthly updated computer setup made by Chaud. It's on the front page if you scroll down a bit.

Deleted
    I'm so sorry, but I totally expected a much more interesting thread

I buy Unicorn all the time, pretty yummy.
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/e5a7/
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Versedian View Post
    chaud has a monthly computer setup post on the frontpage of MMO-C.

The first is the "low-end" Puppy build.
    Then we have the "mid-end" Dolphin build.
    Narwhal is the lesser rare creature, featuring high-end-but-not-nuclear build.
    Unicorn is, well, fucking magic.

---------- Post added 2011-06-13 at 01:43 PM ----------

Btw, I don't believe amazon.co.uk ships more or less any computer parts. :<

Yes. It WILL be more expensive in Sweden compared to Amazon. That's because Amazon are American, and they have ridiculously underpriced computer hardware.
    Om det är dyrt i Sverige? Ja. Det får du leva med.
    But, you might want to cut out on some of the luxury-items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I bought mine from inet.se (ships from Gothenburg) and I would really recommend that site. Has a nice stock, ships in under 24 hours, superb service etc.
    Inet! <3

http://www.komplett.se/k/shoplist.as...1-70DA9BA55636

Komplett, I would advice against in Sweden if there are alternatives. More expensive, longer shipping.
    &nbsp;