connect computer to tv.

VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable

im buying one of these, because my tv doesnt have a VGA port but my computer does. do i want this?
    i want to use my tv instead of my moniter.

I'd advise not doing so. If you can't at LEAST use VGA, don't bother, it will look like crap.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    TV instead of a real monitor?

With s-video you can get as high resolution as regular SDTV standards gets you to. It won't be enjoyable for computer use since the resolution will be what 720x576 (PAL) or the like. Maybe you could enjoy a movie on it but that'd be it. For example the Start menu will fill up the entire screen.

The adapter might just down-res any signal thrown at it though, but that'd just result in that you can't properly read text on the screen.

Deleted
    Use atleast HDMI or VGA tbh, everything older will look bad

You will have to use a VERY low resolution for this to even be clear, I would not bother with this at all if you cant go to a VGA/DVI/HDMI connection on the TV

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest getting a better tv first. Get one that has HDMI or VGA plug-ins. you can get a nice 32-inch HD for less then $300 now a days.

what about a vga to RCA cable?

15+ Year Old Account
    Is the TV a LCD or a Plasma? If it isn't either then don't bother because the picture will look terrible and chat will be unreadable. Also don't use a plasma TV as a computer monitor as the images from the video card can leave ghosting on the plasma screen. Ideally you want to use HDMI over other connections because it have the best sync up as well as audio support.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fooliecoolie View Post
    Is the TV a LCD or a Plasma? If it isn't either then don't bother because the picture will look terrible and chat will be unreadable. Also don't use a plasma TV as a computer monitor as the images from the video card can leave ghosting on the plasma screen. Ideally you want to use HDMI over other connections because it have the best sync up as well as audio support.
    Not to mention if you play WoW on a plasma for hours a day your UI will burn in the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Illegal Alien Bro View Post
    VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable

im buying one of these, because my tv doesnt have a VGA port but my computer does. do i want this?
    i want to use my tv instead of my moniter.
    These are not standard cables. They will only work for specific video cards.

They are also normally tied to specific manufacturers.

If the card never advertised TV-out (via the VGA port) don't waste your time and money with these passive cables.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Not to mention Plasma's generally only run up to 720p resolution whereas LCD's can handle 1080p. At least i've yet to find a plasma that supports anything above 720p.
    Rest assured that there are plenty of 1080p plasma TVs. Also modern plasmas don't usually burn-in stuff.