Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Elemental Shamans in 4.2

So, as you all know, since Cataclysm has been released Elemental Shamans in PvP has been a joke. A very bad joke.

But, now that 4.2 is coming up Elemental is getting quite big buffs:
    -Lightning Bolt can be cast while moving at all times
    -When Flame Shock is dispelled we will now get a casting speed increase by 90% (up from 30%)
    -Thunderstorm now also reduces move speed by 40% for 5 seconds (imo, could be at least 60%)

Does anyone have any thoughts of how Elemental Shammys would be doing in arena (mainly tinking of 3s)?
    They'd most likely fit best into a spellcleave, like Shaman + Destro Lock / Frost Mage / ? + Healer, right?

Or are the buffs not big enough, will Elemental still be a joke, maybe not such a bad joke as now, but still a joke?
    Last edited by ragnar1; 2011-06-15 at 06:14 PM.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    theyre gona be viable instead of the garbage they were before. just gona see more variety which will be nice.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Certainly will be viable, not OP but powerful in the right hands. Think shadowpriest.
    The problem is blizzard has yet to address one of (many) the spec's pvp concerns, that being that they do not have a reliable defensive CD. I can see ele shams getting tunneled and destroyed by melee still, but speculation is speculation...
    #1 Resto Tree Slap DPS

Still not sure if the changes would make elemental viable. Shammys still have a lack of defensive CDs and im not sure they will put out enough damage to be viable in arena. Only time will tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    make spirit link trainable by all specs*(edited): all shamans become instantly viable.
    Last edited by DiscoGhost; 2011-06-16 at 04:13 AM.

Ele shammies will still be able to get nuked down easily, and one LB lockout leaves us as sitting ducks again. On the other hand, resto shammies can now use TC to get phat mana back while running

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    make spirit link trainable by all classes: all shamans become instantly viable.
    I thought they are removing the ability to use SL in the arena?

Wait a minute all shamans no matter what spec can cast lightning bolt while running? Healings gonna be fun.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    Don't think so, nothing in notes.

@Sarmifias - no you'll need the glyph, whether it'll be worth it for resto is up in the air.

Also you must glyph for the lightning bolt to be used while running, so that takes damage away unless the fight has significant movement and in arena it is greatly needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarmifias View Post
    Wait a minute all shamans no matter what spec can cast lightning bolt while running? Healings gonna be fun.
    its a prime glyph. so if your resto and wana pick it up, by all means, go for it.

ment to say all shaman specs* in my last post.

They will still be easily trainable. Slows are spammed now a days so moving while casting won't be that huge if you are getting trained, to get away you will have to ghost wolf. Mana will still be a huge issue like it is now. The biggest change they got is the 90% haste on flame shock dispel. Dispelled flame shock will lead to a nearly instant cast hex or greater heal.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar1 View Post
    So, as you all know, since Cataclysm has been released Elemental Shamans in PvP has been a joke. A very bad joke.

-When Flame Shock is dispelled we will now get a casting speed increase by 90% (up from 30%)
    -Thunderstorm now also reduces move speed by 40% for 5 seconds (imo, could be at least 60%)

Does anyone have any thoughts of how Elemental Shammys would be doing in arena (mainly tinking of 3s)?
    They'd most likely fit best into a spellcleave, like Shaman + Destro Lock / Frost Mage / ? + Healer, right?

Or are the buffs not big enough, will Elemental still be a joke, maybe not such a bad joke as now, but still a joke?
    You forgot the change to 4 pieces :
    The 4-piece Elemental shaman PvP set bonus (Gladiator's Thunderfist set) has been redesigned. It now causes Lightning Shield to generate an extra charge, rather than consuming one, when it is triggered by receiving damage, up to a maximum of 3 (9 with the Rolling Thunder talent).

If you like receiving 9-stack Earth shocks, go train the shaman !

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
    This, unfortunately, was reverted. Now at least they cant use while silenced, meaning no more 70k heals while sitting in a strangulate. *\o/*

make spirit link trainable by all specs*(edited): all shamans become instantly viable.
    NO! FOREVER THE ANSWER IS NO!

Spirit link is the one of most annoying things I've come across in a while. I've had several occurrences where the kill target is at 1k or less health and watch him burst up to 50-70k in 1 sec with his healer silenced. The only time I like it is when the shaman is the only other person in it and is wide open for a switch otherwise I hate it.
    The 4-piece Elemental shaman PvP set bonus (Gladiator's Thunderfist set) has been redesigned. It now causes Lightning Shield to generate an extra charge, rather than consuming one, when it is triggered by receiving damage, up to a maximum of 3 (9 with the Rolling Thunder talent).

People always leave this change out and imo its probably the biggest one there is. This in essence can be a defensive measure against some comps if the ICD is low enough or non existent I'm guessing a 1.5 sec ICD. If this thing stacks quick enough though eating those ES's may make DW'ers at least back off some.

Really the main danger I'm seeing that they can present will be their burst. LvB flies pretty slowly but CL and ES hit instantly basically they can drop a LvB and insta CL > ES for some serious burst. All 3 of those landing together is going to be really ugly. BUT and this is a big BUT they have to have a partner that can peel VERY VERY well. I'm thinking Mage, Lock, Rogue and maybe Warriors/DK's.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar1 View Post

Noone wants a destro lock in their team . Blizz fucked up pvp for them

Quote Originally Posted by Tyni View Post

This.

People think about one paradigm too often. Still complaining about no defensive cds when they should just realize that if we stay super offensive, it'll force the other team to be defensive, offense will be our defense.

Think about this, 9 stack fulmination ES (20-35k) flame shock > unleash ele > ele mastery > LvB thats a good 80k in like 2 globals with your partner on him too in a cc chain on heals....
    all instant casts now i'm sure in this time or after you can thunderstorm or earth bind and get some lb casts off too.

If you can play super offensive I think you'll have a great time.

1 more understated buff is (i know healing surge got nerfed but) healing crits are buffed, it's RNG-y for sure but you can pop spiritwalkers grace and get 30k heal crits... pretty awesome as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jubite View Post
    this, unfortunately, was reverted. Now at least they cant use while silenced, meaning no more 70k heals while sitting in a strangulate. *\o/*
    fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyrtnap View Post
    NO! FOREVER THE ANSWER IS NO!

Really the main danger I'm seeing that they can present will be their burst. LvB flies pretty slowly but CL and ES hit instantly basically they can drop a LvB and insta CL > ES for some serious burst. All 3 of those landing together is going to be really ugly.
    except CL hits for like 3,5k

Here's what I'm thinking. Ele/restodruid/spriest or mage. Lava burst being dispel will be the worst thing the other team can imagine, so combo it up with a class that has a lot of dmg potential. Either class puts out pressure when you can't dispel priest dots or novas.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakell View Post
    Here's what I'm thinking. Ele/restodruid/spriest or mage. Lava burst being dispel will be the worst thing the other team can imagine, so combo it up with a class that has a lot of dmg potential. Either class puts out pressure when you can't dispel priest dots or novas.
    Dispelling unstable affliction and/or vampiric touch will still be more annoying and deadly.