Thread: NPCscan

NPCscan

Herrow everyone!
    Got a slight problem with my NPCscan addon.
    Apparently it doesnt search for mobs already "cached", whatever that means (and why cant it do that? Seems weird to me). And it is here my problem lies. When I log in I get a message about the caches, that I should either do it via /npcscan or clear my cache.
    How do I do it? Do I find my cache folder and just delete it? Wont that "ruin" something or make my folder look weird (ie. create a new folder Cache1235465 and keeping the old or something like that? Or if its fixable ingame, how ? Need help pwrease
    THANKS!

Go into your World of Warcraft folder and delete the Cache folder. Don't worry it's completely harmless, as the Cache folder will reappear when you log in.

World of Warcarft > Cache > WDB > enUs > creaturecache

just delete the creaturechache. it won't mess anything up

edit: the way i understand it, the addon sets off an alert when that creature is added to the cache, so if you've already stumbled upon it (whether it be wild or a pet) it won't add it to the cache if you find it, so the addon won't go off
    Last edited by Kstud; 2011-06-16 at 02:23 PM.

Im not sure how to clear your cache, but I can tell you that the addon works by alerting you in-game when the client caches a specific npc model graphic. If you don't know what caching is in wow, it basically means the game makes a shortcut to the graphic file location so that any future encounters of that npc will be loaded faster.

Deleted
    just download silverdragon it will scan whether or not the npc is cached, should keep npc scan for the npc paths tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Delete creature cache from “C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Cache\WDB\enGB\creaturecache.wdb” this work for me.
    But if u have win 7 / vista here is a copy paste from blizz forum "Vista/Win7 can also create copies of the game files and folders which can interfere with updates. To begin you will need to be able to view hidden files and folders. To do so, click your Windows/Start button, select 'Control Panel' from the menu, then 'Appearance and Personalization', then 'Folder Options'. Next click the 'View' tab, scroll down the list and look for the option 'Hidden files and folders', make sure this is set to Show hidden files and folders.

Now using your 'Computer' option in your main menu, please navigate to the following location:
    C:\Users\*your account name*\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files
    If there is a folder named "World of Warcraft" in this folder, please delete it and then restart the game using the Run As Administrator option."

Quote Originally Posted by Qimo View Post
    just download silverdragon it will scan whether or not the npc is cached, should keep npc scan for the npc paths tho
    My problem with silver dragon is that you have to mouse over the creature, where npcscan, you don't have to.

The downside of npcscan is all the hunters with their rarespawn pets (spirit beasts, king krush, etc). I know I have learned to hate coming across hunters since I got this addon. What would be nice, is if the pet version of a rarespawn had a different model number. Such as, the spawn in the wild has 87220 (completely made up number), but when it becomes a pet, it have 87221. But that would inflate the game more than likely, so I don't see that happening. I just wish that there was a way for npcscan to differentiate between a tamed and wild rarespawn.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, there's not, until Blizzard chooses to provide a method. :-(

And the quick and dirty way to clear your cache is to just delete the Cache folder. The Cache folder will be recreated by WoW when you start it again the next time. It will not negatively impact the game's performance - the only thing using the cache now is the creatures, many of the other things that used the cache previously have been changed to not use it.

The game client will "cache" or store certain details such as the model of any NPC it comes across to avoid having to query the server repeatedly.
    NPCScan works by querying the game client for information about a given NPC and should that information be returned, then it means that since the last query, the game client has "seen" that NPC and if applicable based on location an alert is generated.
    What that does mean however is that if that cache is not cleared, then the addon cannot tell when an NPC is found, only that is has been seen previously.

Unfortunatly NPCScan is reliant on that ID number which is the same used for a tamed beast, so there is no way to differentiate between the two other than a guess based on location.
    I suggest if that is a problem logging out in a less populated region, one where you are less likely to come across rare tamed pets, particularly the major cities.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2011-06-16 at 03:29 PM.