Thread: Haunt question

Haunt question

Hey guys, I haven't played the Warlock class for along time (since TBC) and have started leveling a new one (currently level 72). I have a question about Haunt. I probably sound retarded for not knowing, but just wanted to find out. With haunt, when it is applied, it gives more damage to your Shadow-over-time effects or your dots. Does this effect apply to dots already on the target, or must it be used after you apply your dots, or can you use Haunt and then your dots?

Say I cast Haunt, then my dots, I can see it would work here.

But say I cast UA, Corruption, Bane of Agony, and then Haunt, will it buff the dots already on the target?

Sorry for not knowing how it works, just wanted to clear it up for myself.

It works both ways, but you'll want to throw up a haunt asap anyway because it now does good damage

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    It works both ways, but you'll want to throw up a haunt asap anyway because it now does good damage
    Ah ok, yeah I wasn't sure if it worked both ways or not, thanks for clearing that up.

Yup. As far as applying the Damage Buff, it doesn't matter whether you cast haunt first or last. There will be some people that will argue that putting dots up before haunt or vice versa will give you like 20 or 30 DPS more or less, but in the long run, it doesn't really matter. Once you get through that initial opener, you're going to want to prevent haunt from falling off at all costs, so at that point, you pretty much want to cast it on cooldown anyways.

Deleted
    I agree with finding it better to get haunt up asap, as it's good dmg.. from what i've tested, it does with all dots except for Bane of doom..
    IT needs to be applied before BoD is up, else BoD wont benefit from the increased dmg from haunt.
    BoA seems though to gain the increased dmg from Haunt even if it's applied after..

Corr and UA will gain the benefit regardless, but they'll also lose the buff if it runs out, which makes it essential to keep it as close to 100% uptime as possible.
    Last edited by mmoc8d97796641; 2011-06-17 at 10:41 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haunt is a DEBUFF on your target - your DoT's will redo spell coefficients on a per tick basis when it comes to DEBUFFS, so Haunt does not need to be casted first for your DoT's to get the efffect (though any ticks that go off before Haunt lands will not get the benefit).

If Haunt were a BUFF on you the player, you would need to re-apply DoTs for them to see any benefit. When your trinkets proc, for example, that's a buff on you that will not update spell coefficients per tick.

Heroic progression raider. Incapable of using Saran Wrap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everytime DOT ticks it checks debuffs of the mob. The moment the spell leaves your hands it will check buffs that you have and remembers them. That includes DOTs.

Only exception is 5% crit debuff that is only checked if it's on mob or not when spell lands on mob. Hence you want to open with SB. Even if we got some other spec or even other lock in raid I tend to just go with SB, Haunt, CoE, DS, DOTs opener. Just in case.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

Dots get any modifications (haste, crit, sp, etc...) when they are applied and not when ticks go off. So for example if you have a UA ticking for 2k and you apply Haunt it will continue to tick for 2k until UA is reapplied.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    So for example if you have a UA ticking for 2k and you apply Haunt it will continue to tick for 2k until UA is reapplied.
    Oi, kindly fuck off with your misinformation

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't feel bad OP, I didn't know it worked both ways for the longest time >_<

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Don't feel bad OP, I didn't know it worked both ways for the longest time >_<
    Couldn't of been that long considering it just got changed with the release of Cata

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    Dots get any modifications (haste, crit, sp, etc...) when they are applied and not when ticks go off. So for example if you have a UA ticking for 2k and you apply Haunt it will continue to tick for 2k until UA is reapplied.
    Yeah, that's flat wrong, quit spreading retarded shit around. DoTs update per tick based on debuffs... DoTs do NOT update per tick based on buffs.

/thread

Heroic progression raider. Incapable of using Saran Wrap.

Still worth it to get it up right after an opening Shadow Bolt just to have that 2nd stack of SE up there for your initial dot ticks as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardhyn View Post
    Now this is just blatant trolling, at least before you had the credibility of maybe being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.