10+ Year Old Account

First Water Cooling Setup

After weeks of reading and pondering, I think I'm close to ordering parts to build my first loop.
    I have an i7 930 which is all I'll be cooling for now, but I'll be upgrading to a GTX 680 and an Ivy Bridge CPU when each of them are released.
    This is obviously a little overkill for what I have at the moment, but money isn't a big issue and I'm looking a little further down the road.

Pump: Koolance PMP-400 (DDC 3.25 AFAIK)
    Radiator: XSPC RX360
    Reservoir: Either Koolance RP-401X2 or RP-402X2
    CPU Block: EK-Supreme HF

I'll be using 3/8" ID 1/2" OD tubing, a Kill Coil and of course Distilled Water.

Any recommended changes/considerations? Thanks
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    If you ever plan on cooling a graphics card, particularly a top end one, look into a 600+LPH pump. The EK DCP 4.0 would be a good one especially for the price. If you ever want to cool more than one graphics card, it's worth getting a Laing D5 based pump. With that said, Laing pumps are very high quality as it is. If you're not planning on SLI, then what you have should be just fine.

I'd also recommend adding a Koolance drain valve into there, makes things much easier, and can only add to this to make sure you don't use "Solid coloured" tubing. On initial fills, it's much easier to get the air out if you can see where it is.

When it comes to watercooling, it's actually best if you're paranoid for a few hours after it's fitted =P
    the koolance pmp-400 is fine for several graphics cards, if you just want to be safe get a pmp-450

10+ Year Old Account
    What about the mcp 655 series pump? Its definitely a good pump to use, think about the same price as well as the one you looking to buy I got the dual moded one of MCP 655's from my uncle brand new and just gotta get around fitting it in for my current system (not the one I was going to buy, stupid moronic me...).

The MCP655 is a Laing D5, so it's been mentioned.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

mcp 655 = pmp 450

should getswiftech 120.3 MCR-QP for rad, they are much cheaper, and the difference is not that big.

and you should get xspc rasa for cpu block, same performance but cheaper. (looks better too)

you should also just tline, as reservoir are expensive for nothing, and restrict flow

or basically, read that thing http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=354844

Last edited by mitchimitch; 2011-06-17 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any thoughts on the Swiftech MCP35X? This site http://hw-lab.com/swiftech-mcp35x-pump-released.html has it ahead of the D5 by a good margin, and this one http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...oir-combo.html has it above the DDC 3.25 as well.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

its ahead only become it can turn much faster, which is not automatically best as no matter how fast your water turn, it will always be as cool as your rad can make it. also make it a lot noisier. the stackable res feature is kinda nice (as these kind of cylinder res wont restrict flow) but make it awkward to place in a case unless you mod it or just dont really care about look (and if you don't care about look, tline is again your best choice)

http://skinneelabs.com/pumps/ddc/

MCP35X is just a Laing DDC
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

couple of sites to visit...

Xtreme Systems
    Skinnee Labs
    Martin's Liquid Lab

as for radiataors, the Swiftech radiators are one of the best "most bang for the buck" radiator... very good performance at low price... higher rpm fans may be required.

the rx rad you've mentioned, it's designed to copy the original Thermochill PA 120.3 in terms of fin density and so it offers very good performance at lower speed/rpm fans...

read those links and you'll find some good recommendations...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchimitch View Post
    and you should get xspc rasa for cpu block, same performance but cheaper. (looks better too)
    While I agree that is one sexy block.. While they give the same performance, the xspc is a lot more restrictive which could slow the flow when I add extra components.
    I think?

---------- Post added 2011-06-17 at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Ape View Post
    couple of sites to visit...

Xtreme Systems
    Skinnee Labs
    Martin's Liquid Lab

as for radiataors, the Swiftech radiators are one of the best "most bang for the buck" radiator... very good performance at low price... higher rpm fans may be required.

the rx rad you've mentioned, it's designed to copy the original Thermochill PA 120.3 in terms of fin density and so it offers very good performance at lower speed/rpm fans...
    I've read them all. And the RX is $15 cheaper than the Thermochill for basically no difference that i could find.
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-06-17 at 07:55 PM.