10+ Year Old Account

looking for advice on long term investments regarding alts

Im slowly building up my army of alts, but now i'm pondering what should I do with them regarding professions,
    I plan on having 1 of each profession. But im also wanting to have the most efficent system if you will.

main(paladin) BS/JC
    alt1 (deathknight) mining/skinning
    alt2 ( 2nd paladin) enginneer/____
    alt3 (rogue) ??/??
    alt4 (mage) enchanter/tailor
    alt5 (warlock) alchimist(transmute)/inscription
    alt6(druid) ??/??
    alt7 (warrior) ??/??

I can easily change professions around except on my main, So any advice on streamlining my toons to help me roll in dough would be greatly helpful.
    God forbid I see a cast bar on my target. I'm going to interrupt that cast out of fucking existence. I will rebuke that spell out of the game data, that's how I'm going to roll with my pally now.

Deleted
    You really, really want mining and herbalism on the same character. I cannot stress this enough, it is a massive advantage to just be able to suck up every resource in an area.

You probably also want to have both on a druid, as they don't have to dismount to mine or gather.

do you have much experience in the auction house? You seem very dedicated to farming. The amount of gold you can earn by farming is pretty static once you calculate your time devoted to the current market value of the mats. Farming the Auction house, if you are dedicated, is the best way to make money, hands down.

There are many mods which will help you make money on the auction house, you could learn about them if you like.

Just remember the pure basic rule of making money on the auction house is 2 fold:

1) People post stuff lower then someone else will pay for it..

2) you can buy that item and repost it and that buyer will still pay full value.

As too professions, it really comes down to how much time you want to spend vs. the money you can earn selling/crafting. I don't believe there is a real answer to your question. Everything changes in this very long argument. you could make more money with tailoring for 1 week, then nothing for 6 months. Herbilism you could make more money for a short time.. then nothing. it really boils down to the economy of your server at that current time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrinder View Post
    You probably also want to have both on a druid, as they don't have to dismount to mine or gather.
    Druids have to dismount in order to mine. Or rather, the flight form gets cancelled when the mining action starts. We can only pick up herbs while in flight form. I don't know why so many people seem to think that druids can mine while in flight form, it has been posted and corrected in so many other threads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiga View Post
    Druids have to dismount in order to mine. Or rather, the flight form gets cancelled when the mining action starts. We can only pick up herbs while in flight form. I don't know why so many people seem to think that druids can mine while in flight form, it has been posted and corrected in so many other threads as well.
    true, BUT their mount is instant cast... so still wins.

mining/herbalism on a druid is a simple no brainer.

other than that.... mining and blacksmithing would go well, ore is often cheaper and more abundant, mailing ore and bars back to the mining druid is a slight annoyance. the only solution is to have 2 miners, 1 just to smelt, the druid to gather.

some other thoughts for you.

alchemy, enchanting, tailoring, and jewelcrafting have alot of materials. Alchemy and enchanting have big craft bags you can use. jewelcrafting does not. Jewelcrafting will stack gems soon, so that will be a welcome change, but its the materials that really screw things up, and they stacked already.

blacksmithing and inscription have relatively little for materials. inscription does make a TON of stuff (this is important for relisting auctions.

reason I say these things is back space concerns. I have jewelcrafting and tailoring on 1 toon, I am constantly limited on bag space despite embersilk bags in every slot, bank and toon. my blacksmith/inscription toon does not have the problem, nor does my enchanter/alchemist. try to pair material heavy professions with material light ones. maybe put inscription with tailoring, enchanting with blacksmithing, ect.

Id like to make an engineer just so he can drop a portable mailbox, but Im not sure if it persists if he logs off, opening new mail at the same time as posting on the AH is incredibly convenient.

10+ Year Old Account
    You generally want every alt to have Transmute Alchemy and then another crafting profession. Transmutes are just so much free consistent gold, there's not a lot of reasons not to have as many as you can.

I personally would drop gathering professions, because most realms have too many bots for gathering to be of any use. I level my alts with gathering professions and then drop them for more useful crafting professions at max level. Mining can be semi-useful so you can smelt your own ore for Blacksmithing, but I personally don't feel it warrants a profession slot. I just mail the ore to a friend and tip him a few gold to smelt for me.

I have a complete set up, 1 of each character most at lvl 75 just for professions. I've made a few changes over the years so I'll share some knowledge with you. It really helps if we know what you plan on doing with the toons, are you going to trry and play them all, do you have a main/alt/pvp toon??? This is what I have, I'll explain a little bit better at the end.

Main JC and Engineering --The best raid buffs for min maxxing
    Alt Trans master ALchemy and JC
    PvP Herb and Mine
    ALTS (I rarely ever play) 1-7 All have Trans master Alchemy and a profesion so I have them all covered.

I have the two professions that give the best buffs on my main just for min maxxing, I have trans specced alchemy on every other toon except my gathering toon. This is important because I make around 3k/day just buy buying volatile life off the ah and taking 3 min to use my daily transmute with all my alts parked in uldum for volatile air. So if I do nothing else for the day I'll be garaunteed around 3k. No other professions can give you that return in 3 minutes.

I have two JC's because it helps with getting patterns, more tokens when new stuff comes out means you'll have more patterns before everyone else, also you can do a quick daily after you have all the patterns and get a free gem on each of them every day that sells for 100-150g.

I Strongly suggest getting both gathering profs on yoour PvP toon. While waiting in a que you can do some herbing since normally theres nothing else to do, it doesnt matter if its a druid.....mines a rogue which works out great because you can just sap mobs close to nodes and you dont have to waste time killing it before you can mine....you get alot less nodes jacked from you this way.

the alts are pretty much yours to do what you like, as long as you have trans specced alchemy on them. I have all the professions but I hardly ever use 3/4 of them, you'll find what your good at making money at and the rest wont matter. If I really wanted to I'd go back and have every toon but my gatherer and main trans specced alch, and JC....probably throw in a tailor just to make bags and an enchanter to do my own gear and I'd be set. 3-5 min for transmutes, 3-5 buying cloth and making bags, and 5-10 cutting gems and I'd pull in 3-6k / day.

Sorry this is so long and sloppy, its late. Hope it helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    My plan is for my main toon (paladin JC/BS) to be my raiding toon, not really going to change professions with him, I got too many old BS patterns that i've collected over the years.
    All my other alts will be lvl 85 to at least farm valor from heroics( to also help gear the main paladin up quickly from BOE valor stuff )
    after that. Im wanting to simply use the alts for gold though professions, I really only like to play my main :P
    God forbid I see a cast bar on my target. I'm going to interrupt that cast out of fucking existence. I will rebuke that spell out of the game data, that's how I'm going to roll with my pally now.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrinder View Post
    You really, really want mining and herbalism on the same character. I cannot stress this enough, it is a massive advantage to just be able to suck up every resource in an area.

aside from the mining herbing in flight form is win.....and if your horde...tuaren druid ftw .5 sec herb gather is so ownage

Quote Originally Posted by vacor View Post
    My plan is for my main toon (paladin JC/BS) to be my raiding toon, not really going to change professions with him, I got too many old BS patterns that i've collected over the years.
    All my other alts will be lvl 85 to at least farm valor from heroics( to also help gear the main paladin up quickly from BOE valor stuff )
    after that. Im wanting to simply use the alts for gold though professions, I really only like to play my main :P
    In that case keep your main with JC and BS and then have a druid with mine/herb and the rest of the alts with Trans Alchemy and any other prof you want to have them all covered and you'll be set up to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since i've never really done Alchemy before, just want to get some info

as a transmute alchimist, I could get procs from anything that is transmuteable, (rare gems to epic " when implemented'), truegold, life to other elements.

Would I be able to do all of them in a day, like transmute couple inferno rubys into the epic counterparts, then a truegold transmute, and then some volatile transmutes?

or would i be limited to one transmute a day?

Deleted
    The rare gem transmutes don't have a cooldown atm, though I think the epic ones will get a cooldown once implimented.
    The rest of the transmutes all share cooldowns amongst eachother, so you can only do 1 Volatile/Truegold/Pyrium transmute each day, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydramith View Post
    The rare gem transmutes don't have a cooldown atm, though I think the epic ones will get a cooldown once implimented.
    The rest of the transmutes all share cooldowns amongst eachother, so you can only do 1 Volatile/Truegold/Pyrium transmute each day, that's it.
    Yup just what he said. The gems are blue quality now so theres no limit on how many you ccan do a day but when the purple recipies come out in a later patch you will only be able to do 1 transmute. Every transmute that has a cooldown can only be done once, so right now you have to basically choose what transmute you want to do each day. Back in WoTLK I use to do 1 cardinal ruby transmute each day, Now the only ones that make money are truegold or volatile, so check your server and do 1 of them each day. I ALWAYS do my volatile transmute because it requires less mats and I make a few hundred gold more per day. I have all my alts parked inn Uldum because if you do your transmute while in Uldum you are guaranteed to get air.

If you do a gem or truegold transmute you get your one, with a chance of 1-5 extra.

If you do a volatile transmute it takes 15 life and you get 14-16 of a different element ( each one of the new zones guarantees a specific one, if just done in a city or something its random ) with the chance of 1-8 extra.