Deleted

Disc priest in 10 man raids (stat priorities)

Hi, ive been reading different topics here, and ive seen people saying mastery is best stat and haste is best stat. Now i would like to get clarification if its best to stack haste, mastery or balance them both. At the moment im going all-in mastery (artfuls, every item has mastery etc.)

Thanks in advance

From my more limited experience, it really will depend on your healer makeup and your particular role.

I'm A/A (smite/hf build) and I stack mastery/spirit. There is a very solid argument for haste stacking if you're finding you need to use a lot of cast time spells. I'd suggest you try both and see what the difference is for you.

Deleted
    Pure mastery stacking does not work well for discipline if you are a 10 man raider. Things change in 25 man because you have additional "playground" from where to spread your PW:S and therefore keep your Borrowed Time up when you need it.

At any rate, as I was saying, it's not something totally bad to do, although having a decent ammount of haste when raiding in a 10 man group should be something to consider - I'm not saying to stack pure haste either, but don't neglect it entirely.

As said on the above post, picking one of these two also depends on your current healing setup, but generally I would recommend keeping both stats balanced while having a certain preference for one of them, depending on your gameplay and on what role you're currently playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you going to be a hybrid tank/AoE healer, or solely a tank healer, or are you going to be the bubble-bot who bubbles and snipes heals? Disc priests can have a fuck ton of different roles and it really depends on what you are going to be doing as to which stats are best for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisel View Post
    Are you going to be a hybrid tank/AoE healer, or solely a tank healer, or are you going to be the bubble-bot who bubbles and snipes heals? Disc priests can have a fuck ton of different roles and it really depends on what you are going to be doing as to which stats are best for you.
    I did forget to mention the importance of secondary stats for each situation, so here goes:

Tank healer: HST=CRT > MST
    Raid healer: HST > MST > CRT
    Bubble bot: MST > CRT=HST

Haste and Crit for tank healing is pretty much straightforward: haste will allow you to heal faster through big bursts, and crit will make your heals more powerful and proc Divine Aegis on your target. Mastery loses its importance here because your bubbles won't be as desirable when tank healing; again, don't neglect the poor stat for it's not bad, but try and keep your eyes on items with HST/CRT.

Haste is the supreme stat when raid healing because our absorption effects from DA don't scale very well with our mastery. That being said, more haste = faster heals = faster ProH = bigger throughput and eventually DA "stacking".

No need to explain why MST is so important for bubble botters I believe. Plain and simple - more MST = more absorption. I don't usually recommend going for this type of healing spec, mainly because it's not so mana efficient and also because next patch will bring some nerfs to our raiding partners when it comes to mana regen buffs such as innervate (from dps) and mana tide totem.

haste is terrible for disc at any role. bt proc from pws is enough to hasten PoH or GH.

for now, mastery is #1. I bet we'll stack crit in 4.2, considering my impressions of playing on PTR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arubis View Post
    bt proc from pws is enough to hasten PoH or GH.
    1. you can't assume 100% BT uptime because it makes no sense to cast PWS every other cast no matter what happens

2. you don't save time by hastening your intended GH/PoH by precasting PWS, because PWS takes a GCD
    Last edited by mmoce6438d9a93; 2011-06-19 at 11:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amilee View Post
    1. you can't assume 100% BT uptime because it makes no sense to cast PWS every other cast no matter what happens

2. you don't save time by hastening your intended GH/PoH by precasting PWS, because PWS takes a GCD
    My thoughts exactly - no, BT is not enough to keep the raid up for for periods of big bursts for you won't be able to keep it up at all times. Haste is welcome specially while raid healing.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by arubis View Post
    for now, mastery is #1. I bet we'll stack crit in 4.2, considering my impressions of playing on PTR.
    As far as the crit subject in 4.2 goes - I don't think raid-healing disc priest will have any desire on stacking crit on the next patch even with the 50% additional heal on crit buff. Now tank healing disc priest will find this increase very very tasty.

Deleted
    crit is never bad

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoohoodoo View Post
    crit is never bad
    Crit excels if you are a tank healer. If you are raid healing I wouldn't say crit to be worthless; but both haste and mastery are better. And what's the use of going for a weaker secondary stat?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Naesh View Post
    Pure mastery stacking does not work well for discipline if you are a 10 man raider. Things change in 25 man because you have additional "playground" from where to spread your PW:S and therefore keep your Borrowed Time up when you need it.

At any rate, as I was saying, it's not something totally bad to do, although having a decent ammount of haste when raiding in a 10 man group should be something to consider - I'm not saying to stack pure haste either, but don't neglect it entirely.

As said on the above post, picking one of these two also depends on your current healing setup, but generally I would recommend keeping both stats balanced while having a certain preference for one of them, depending on your gameplay and on what role you're currently playing.
    first the bolded part.

Stacking Mastery is ofc viable for 10man raiding... dunno where you got that info from that its useless

now to the red part.

Haste is the WORST stat for a disc priest (unless you´re running a smite spec) you know a disc priests job is reducing incoming dmg and not spamhealing the raid 24 // 7

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serona View Post
    Haste is the WORST stat for a disc priest (unless you´re running a smite spec) you know a disc priests job is reducing incoming dmg and not spamhealing the raid 24 // 7
    Ever heard of the disc role called "tank healing" ? Also, there are rumours afloat about disc priests actually raid healing, less bubbling.

from my experiences mastery for mana management haste for when u can control it and crit for when ur having problems picking up the tank or just plain tank healing, because u need to keep the 10% less phy dmg buff on him as well as the DA are really nice. raid healing it depends on the encounter, if its constant dmg like halfus mastery is gonna be better then haste but if its chim its haste and crit i believe.

ive read around on the stats of disc and its all over the place, id recommend getting a good balance, atm im at 1k mastery and haste(little over with both) and like 600 crit and it works out good on all my fights, but if i was disc all the time id probably drop some haste and get more mastery.

I currently have raided everything in this first tier. I have stacked haste, I have stacked mastery. I never felt stacking one over the other made me a more efficient player. I have found a happy medium in balencing all 3 stats. I have 1268 mastery, 1093 haste, and 11.59% crit. Meaning I try to stay around 15 mastery, 8% haste and 11% crit. With this set up I feel confident the heal will hit quick, the shield will absorb, and i am criting one in every 3-4 heals with talents.
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

10+ Year Old Account
    The debate continues...One of the reasons I personally enjoy playing a Disc Priest is our diversity, do you want larger shields or faster heals, or are you trying for the "sweet spot" in the middle?At the begining of Cata I favored Haste on my main, when learning fight damage patterns, Haste can really be a benefit to saving a raid wipe.Once I leveled my alt priest I had the chance to really play with stats, this is when I fell in love with the power of Mastery.For those that are still unsure of what stats are best suited for "your" raid, I would challenge you to take two raid locks and reforge one week into haste and one into mastery, heck, take a third week and try a balance. Each raid is not the same, your healing team and player ability will never be identical. We will continue to debate stats until one stongly out preforms the rest, until then play with what "feels" best to you and your raid.

I've found that my HPS increases dramatically if i focus mostly on haste over mastery. Mind you, my healing still stays around 30% Shields (More on some fights), but i am able to get those shields out faster, and have fairly decent cast times on my Prayer of Healing. Typically a 1k~ healing per second boost on fights.

If you're just going to bubble bot, stick to mastery, but IMHO there isn't much room for a bubble bot in a 10 man healing composition.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serona View Post
    first the bolded part.

First of all, I'm running smite spec indeed.
    Second, haste is good when it comes to both tank healing and raid healers that do not bubble bot but instead choose to click ProH more often. It all comes down to the kind of disc priest you are: saying haste is the worst stat is from my point of view not true.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 04:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Selkinor View Post
    I feel the need to point out something here. As the Onyxia tank healer on Heroic Nefarian, I spec into Strength of Soul, and my PW:S is way above my Greater Heal as far as healing done. You can't tell me Haste/Crit is better in this situation than Mastery. So it depends on whether or not you use this talent, which I strongly recommend if it's for tank healing. And is there actually any math on if faster Divine Aegis procs from PoH are better than simply bigger shields from it?
    If you do have SoS talented (and this usually means you didn't go for atonement) I admit MST can rise in it's importance in what concerns tank healing: but still, a good ammount of haste will make the Weakened Soul debuff fade faster and allow you to get a new shield up quicker, regardless of absorbing less, and still allow you to heal the tank much more efficiently though big bursts of damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    If you're just going to bubble bot, stick to mastery, but IMHO there isn't much room for a bubble bot in a 10 man healing composition.
    Keep in mind the damage patterns in a 10 man, shaving off 1/2 a second on a Prayer of Healing vs larger DA shields? You only have two groups to worry about. Mastery is not limited to "just" bubble bots. Even raiding in an AA/A spec, Mastery is quite tasty. You may favor Haste, but saying Mastery is just for bubble bots is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam View Post
    Keep in mind the damage patterns in a 10 man, shaving off 1/2 a second on a Prayer of Healing vs larger DA shields? You only have two groups to worry about. Mastery is not limited to "just" bubble bots. Even raiding in an AA/A spec, Mastery is quite tasty. You may favor Haste, but saying Mastery is just for bubble bots is misleading.
    Don't get me wrong, Mastery is for sure my number 2 stat (Both specs for that matter). It's a strong stat, but haste is just better from a throughput standpoint. Divine Aegis doesn't scale so well with mastery, and Bubbles although great shouldn't be our only button. Keep in mind, Bubbles still scale with haste, as the benefit from Borrowed Time has been greatly reduced since Wrath; You no longer GCD cap from just Borrowed time alone, so even when you do need to bubble the raid, you're able to fit a PoH in where you may have not have been able to before.