Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    You're already running at 3.2 Hgz. Why in earth would you want to overclock a system that already puts out extensive heat? What do you hope to gain? For what?

If this were a i5-2500k then sure, go ahead and OC. But a Phenomen 6 core @ 3.2 Ghz?....Not worth it.
    I'm struggling to find the red line in your thought here. Why would a hexacore generate comparably more heat than a quadcore?
    Why does the cores matter to performance in games?
    Why would the weaker CPU clock-per-clock (PII x6) not need overclocking compared to the stronger one?
    Why would the weaker clocked CPU not need overclocking compared to the heavier clocked turboing one (3.3GHz -> 3.7? I think)?
    If anything, the Phenom II x6, a really weak CPU in comparison, would need it more.

---------- Post added 2011-06-18 at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Ketchup View Post
    how the hell can you afford all that stuff? :3

On topic: The Phenom II X6 processor is perfect for OC. I would just say go for it!
    Because they live in the US, and everything is twice as inexpensive in the US compared to Europe.

EDIT: I'm post-2000 with this post.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-06-18 at 11:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you don't know how, first you should learn how, read your manuals, read forums on the amd site.

And even call tech support, then get a good program to overclock with like msi afterburner or something, and read its readme file.

Set one of your bios chips to the overclock and learn how to toggle your bios chips.

Deleted
    It's a black edition CPU. Overclock it. Buying a high end CPU from either Intel or AMD (AMD obviously isn't as high end as Intel, I mean high end in terms of the other CPU's the company offers) and not overclocking it is what noobs do. Also, you should either buy another stick of RAM or take one of them out, 8GB RAM isn't exactly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    And even call tech support, then get a good program to overclock with like msi afterburner or something.
    That only works for GPUs, I think he wanted to overclock his CPU.

Which brings me to another important point; Never overclock your CPU through software.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    That only works for GPUs, I think he wanted to overclock his CPU.

Which brings me to another important point; Never overclock your CPU through software.
    Well Whatever you have to use to oc, you should learn how, and oc on your spare bios.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    Yeah ultimatly doing nothing in most cases.
    In fact, if you have a quadcore or better, you can uc your CPU to ~1,5 Ghz while still having constant 60fps as long as your GPU can handle it.

some kind of proof made moments ago:

3,2 Ghz: http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9871/32ghzo.jpg
    2,1 Ghz: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8621/21ghz.jpg

2 Instances of WoW,
    both at 1280x960 windowed with 2xAA and Ultra settings.
    Foreground over SW.
    Background botting somewhere. Yes i bot chars to 85, problem? World is dead anyway...
    In adition, Skype, Frirefox and the bot is running.
    Both have 60FPS on a HD 4870 nonoc, with a nonoc and uc 955 BE.
    WoW CPU intense? Order a crane and try to get out this old thing you call PC!

There are only a few games out there, that really use your CPU. Mainly the ones that use crazy ammounts of physics, REAL PHYSICS, not the scripted ones.
    hahaha you REALY made my weekend......... must be the funniest i have read in a long time in the computer forum.

you are playing on a kiddy resolution, so offcause you wil see 60FPS all the time.
    go 1080p on ultra and you will see your cpu being broth to its knee and your gfx card will still not break a sweat.
    wow is all about your cpu and NOT your gfx card. the higher the Ghz is the higher the FPS will be
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Well Whatever you have to use to oc, you should learn how, and oc on your spare bios.
    You're assuming that most motherboards have a "spare" BIOS... I believe you're, again, confusing motherboards and CPUs with graphics cards and GPUs. There are very few motherboards with a secondary BIOS, if any at all.

As stated earlier, there is a slew of information out there on overclocking CPUs, more-so about AMD CPUs than Intel. Just do a Google search and you'll be able to get that 1090T BE to 4GHz on a good air cooler in no time

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    You're assuming that most motherboards have a "spare" BIOS... I believe you're, again, confusing motherboards and CPUs with graphics cards and GPUs. There are very few motherboards with a secondary BIOS, if any at all.
    There are a few. I have a budget motherboard, and it features dual bios. ;o

There are a few. I have a budget motherboard, and it features dual bios. ;o
    Not saying they don't exist, just saying there are very few that actually sport a second BIOS. My Sabertooth X58 doesn't have a dual BIOS, and it's an enthusiast board.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Not saying they don't exist, just saying there are very few that actually sport a second BIOS. My Sabertooth X58 doesn't have a dual BIOS, and it's an enthusiast board.
    I just youtube'd it, and it seems veeeery prominent on Gigabyte-motherboards, and only sporadic appearances elsewhere. Needless to say, I sport a Gigabyte.

10+ Year Old Account
    Simply put
    if after OC you get it to work without any errors or crashes AND (importantly) you can keep its temperature mode at a decent level, go ahead and OC. If it overheats or crashes - don't do that. So easy.
    Want more power - throw more $ into the shop and loot the new CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just youtube'd it, and it seems veeeery prominent on Gigabyte-motherboards, and only sporadic appearances elsewhere. Needless to say, I sport a Gigabyte.
    Dual and even triple Bios is somewhat common on very high end motherboards, but rare on budget motherboards and for the most part non-existent on pre-built computers, ie 99.9% of computers

Last edited by Cyanotical; 2011-06-18 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Dual and even triple Bios is somewhat common on very high end motherboards, but rare on budget motherboards and for the most part non-existent on pre-built computers, ie 99.9% of computers

is that your bench or just some random pic?

nevermind just looked through your pics, that is a very nice setup. i hate my damn case gonna upgrade to a HAF soon and then look into watercooling :P

edit2: its not very nice, that computer is a god damn monster :P
    Last edited by Volroth; 2011-06-19 at 03:34 AM.