Thread: Mac or PC?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mac or PC?

I'm getting a new computer and can't decide between a Mac and a PC, so I thought I'd ask the WoW community. I've been using PC's all my life, I never had a Mac so it makes sense to get a PC with Windows 7. I always hear how Mac's are better than PC's but I can't really talk on behalf of the Mac. What are your opinions?

Mac - Buy all the same hardware as a regular PC for 150% the price!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Pc. Macs are overpriced with only a different brand name. You pay twice as much just for a mac and so you can be 'cool'. Pcs have way more utility, can do more and are generally a huge amount cheaper.

I would always advice people to build their own computers, so that automatically puts Mac out of the question.
    A Mac can't be better than a PC, per se. But Mac OSX might handle programmes differently and perhaps better than Windows may.

Build (or configure if that's more to your liking) your own. You get way more for your money that way.

Mac pro. its like a £600 computer for 4 times the price! Definite bang for your buck

Deleted
    OS-wise:
    OS X > Windows 7

hardware wise:
    PC > mac

social coolness factor:
    mac > PC

gamer coolness factor (pimped out chassi and whatnot):
    PC > mac

so if you're a gamer, go for the PC.

*edit*

have you even read the specs on the mac pro?
    it's not your average motherboard, cpu, cooling or anything else in it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    I'm getting a new computer and can't decide between a Mac and a PC, so I thought I'd ask the WoW community. I've been using PC's all my life, I never had a Mac so it makes sense to get a PC with Windows 7. I always hear how Mac's are better than PC's but I can't really talk on behalf of the Mac. What are your opinions?
    Firstly lets do away with the misconception of Mac vs PC. The only difference is the OS, and Windows 7 is a great OS as is Lion. So the main point is hardware, and this is Apples biggest issue.

Apple charges a very high premium on their hardware, about 100$ per component. For example, they charge 150$ for a 1tb HDD. So in terms of price/performance, they've got the worst machines on the market. What do you get with this? Well you get your warranty, but if you buy components you get a free 3-lifetime warranty(XFX gpus are 2 lifetimes so you can sell them on!).

The only real advantage of Apple computers are the looks and the prestige. If you want good value for money and better performance for the same cost (Mac Pros start at $2,499, with that you can build a godly system and put windows 7 on it), pick a PC. If you want bragging rights and no input into it's putting together (which is simple), get a Mac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Buy a PC if you're only going to play World of Warcraft. If you were going to buy a Mac what would you use it for?

Deleted
    Self built PC wipes the floor with macs. To many people judge windows on a pre build PC. Which comes loaded with unstable manufacturer installed adverts and software and * plzs buy this* links. A fresh OEM windows 7 is god mode.
    Last edited by mmoc796e664f5d; 2011-06-18 at 05:05 PM.

Deleted
    if your into djing get a macbook

Deleted
    If you have enough money to buy a decent mac. or Imac I would go for the mac stuff
    Windows stuff is good but apple products are better graphic wise and the prestations are better to

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm View Post
    If you have enough money to buy a decent mac. or Imac I would go for the mac stuff
    Windows stuff is good but apple products are better graphic wise and the prestations are better to
    macs are very nice products, they look nice, run nice and are quiet when it comes to fans and whatnot, but they're not better, there's no magical hardware in (most) of them.

that being said they don't sell crap macs like they sell crap PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm View Post
    http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC814LL/A?mco=MjIwNTQ2NzM
    That's the best iMac I can find and it's about 1.5x as expensive as my current PC, while this PC actually is better.
    Graphic wise is all about the monitor, not if you have Windows OS or Mac OS. (ofcourse the GPU matters too)
    About the OS I can't say anything, because I've never used Mac OS X.

Isn't there a way to get OS X to work on a selfbuild computer?

Buy a PC, Dual Booth Win7 and Mac OS X!

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    that being said they don't sell crap macs like they sell crap PCs.
    Most Macs and macbooks (non-pro) I see are still Core2Duo.

---------- Post added 2011-06-18 at 07:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aswed View Post
    Buy a PC, Dual Booth Win7 and Mac OS X!
    Hackintosh is not an allowed subject on these forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post

Hackintosh is not an allowed subject on these forums.
    ^This. Don't continue on that subject.

Dude get a PC. Mac will cost you fortune and still won't deliver as much as a Pc can. Mac is more for a graphic designers etc, not that good for gamers. If I were you I would have bought a decent Pc.

Good Luck
    FPS News
    Latest First Person Shooter, First Person and FPS News .. Get daily updates!

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    social coolness factor:
    mac > PC
    That is all that matters right? Chicks dig Macs right?

I'm a PC user and never have touched a mac but really, as long as the performance standards are equal, the performance will be the same. I know people on Macs that swear by them and people on PCs that swear by them. I personally think in value of performance, a PC edges out the Mac.
    On another note, more people are still using a PC even with Macs becoming more and more mainstream, with that, there is a larger range of user knowledge base with PCs that your not going to find with Macs. Though this PC knowledge base is from casual users, it can be found easier and more of it using Google. Mac support in my experience is slightly more difficult to find and there is much less of a basic user knowledge base to get a good feel for distinct problems.

Deleted
    This video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgOX9mb7V4o

Sums up mac users nicely :P

[User has received an infraction for this post. - Cilraaz]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-06-18 at 09:11 PM.

Alienware.com if you want a nice gear.