Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that build's making a lot more sense and is well-balanced.
    What you gonna do with the remaining $2200?

IMO I'd spend $2000 on the rig and $1000 on a badass guitar + amp.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    @ OP:

.... what is that Eve thingy on your desk? Just a toy or does it do something? I loooooove Wall-E!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    With a budget as big as you have, you can get a better GPU...
    Your suggestion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylaa View Post
    Your suggestion?
    Xfire 570s or SLI 560/570

i would still would like to know what HDD you have and what PSU since you didnt mention it anywhere, also im quite sure the heatsink wont fit...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    @ OP:

.... what is that Eve thingy on your desk? Just a toy or does it do something? I loooooove Wall-E!
    It's a plush Eve from Wall-E. I have an even larger plush of Wall-E on my bookshelf.

---------- Post added 2011-06-19 at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by L05_PL View Post
    i would still would like to know what HDD you have and what PSU since you didnt mention it anywhere, also im quite sure the heatsink wont fit...
    I have a 700 Watt Power Supply with 250GBs HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

That's gonna be one sweet ass 40 inch monitor. Ahhhhh yeaaaaa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by finchna View Post
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your email or the sentence quoted above, but if you know very little about computers why are you building/upgrading one? (from you questions about parts)

3K should buy you a ready to go system that will do all the gaming, work, etc. you want to do, probably with some $$ leftover and everything should work out of the box.
    I've thought of purchasing Dell or Gateway but warranty, reputation and a lot of opinions on the forums have made my shy of the idea.

It's a plush Eve from Wall-E. I have an even larger plush of Wall-E on my bookshelf.

---------- Post added 2011-06-19 at 03:24 PM ----------

I have a 700 Watt Power Supply with 250GBs HDD.
    500 gb? Seems a bit low memory wise considering the life span of the computer you're building. You'll have to reinstall windows since you have a new CPU/Mobo anyway, just seems a bit odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

Put aside in a savings account for Blizzcon!

---------- Post added 2011-06-19 at 03:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    500 gb? Seems a bit low memory wise considering the life span of the computer you're building. You'll have to reinstall windows since you have a new CPU/Mobo anyway, just seems a bit odd.
    I don't use a lot of HDD space. My music, movies and downloads are stored on an external.

I'd like to keep my Windows Vista since I already have the disc and product key on the box.

Make sure you buy a Corsair Force 3 SSD 120gig ($240ish) as your boot/wow drive and a western digital black drive for storage/non primary games etc, you can get 500gig 1tb or 2tb depending on how much you tend to use. Sandybridge computers are also built to be overclocked although your last attempt didn't go well. If you decide you want to try it get an aftermarket cooler. To maximize overclock get the Noctua DH-14 heatsink or thermaltake silverarrow, both are rather big and cost around $80. The corsair H100 is also coming out this week I believe if you want to wait and see how it performs and it should be around $120. If you don't want to overclock just get a decent mid range heatsink for around $40. You can also add fans depending on your case to improve airflow and lower the temperature. WoW also isn't heavy on GPU usage so you dont really need to buy 2 video cards, I would just buy one high end card and in the future you can buy a second if you want.

If you want a new monitor people love the Dell u2311h its a bit expensive (close to $300) but IPS monitors are amazing. Either way even if you have a budget of $3000 you won't need to spend more then $1500-2k on the computer itself to get a top of the line gaming rig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put aside in a savings account for Blizzcon!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you're in Canada, you can probably save a bunch of money by ordering all the parts online at NCIX.com, instead of driving out to Halifax just to go to a store that has much higher prices. It's better than Newegg and WAY better than Tigerdirect. Shipping prices are good, and especially when they have shipping deals. Make sure to click their weekly sales banner and find most of your components in there before browsing the regular priced stock. (Sales items still display as the regular price if you find them with the search or by browsing the categories, so the sales page is your best friend at NCIX.)

Also, if you don't know how or don't want to assemble the computer yourself, they will do it for you for (and test it) for just $50, and you'll still get all the boxes and CD's, and other parts they didn't use like extra screws and cables. You just add a "$50 PC assembly" or whatever they call it to your shopping cart. But... I didn't see you mention that you're getting a case or power supply, so if you're not getting a full computer then ignore what I said about PC assembly.

Also you can't use the version of Vista you have now, in your old thread you had 32 bit windows which means you can't use more then 4 gigs of ram. A windows 7 OEM copy should cost around $100 depending if its on sale.

And yes, use ncix.com for Canada its an amazing site. You can also just post on the forum there and Westcoast or one of the other members can design you a great build pretty quickly, there PC assembly is top notch and the $50 fee also gives you a 1 year warranty on the system in addition to the normal hardware warranties.
    Last edited by Esg; 2011-06-19 at 06:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esg View Post
    Also you can't use the version of Vista you have now, in your old thread you had 32 bit windows which means you can't use more then 4 gigs of ram. A windows 7 OEM copy should cost around $100 depending if its on sale.
    Wow, amazing stalker knowledge. :P
    Yeah, Windows 7 SP1 is $99.99 in US .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    Since you're in Canada, you can probably save a bunch of money by ordering all the parts online at NCIX.com, instead of driving out to Halifax just to go to a store that has much higher prices. It's better than Newegg and WAY better than Tigerdirect. Shipping prices are good, and especially when they have shipping deals. Make sure to click their weekly sales banner and find most of your components in there before browsing the regular priced stock. (Sales items still display as the regular price if you find them with the search or by browsing the categories, so the sales page is your best friend at NCIX.)

Also, if you don't know how or don't want to assemble the computer yourself, they will do it for you for (and test it) for just $50, and you'll still get all the boxes and CD's, and other parts they didn't use like extra screws and cables. You just add a "$50 PC assembly" or whatever they call it to your shopping cart. But... I didn't see you mention that you're getting a case or power supply, so if you're not getting a full computer then ignore what I said about PC assembly.
    I don't own a credit card that goes over $500.00. Buying the computer components at a store would be much easier in my case.

---------- Post added 2011-06-19 at 04:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post

I'd only allow Linus from NCIX to assemble it for me.

3k is too much for a PC. I would pay 1k total. The extra stuff you are getting for the extra money, the real top of the line, you do not really need. CPU, video card, SSD, etc. you name it. I've been doing this for 30 years. Its the same year after year. You get 10% bump for paying 2x or 3x as much. So think about that.

The one thing I will add is really consider raid 0 or 5, there is a performance/safety boost when you add some drives and a dedicated raid controller. Also performance is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
    I've been doing this for 30 years
    wow so since the first IBM and which didnt even use any setting up as everything was maily factory assembled ;]

up to HDD, yea with that stuff you want i would also go for SSD for the loading times, the PSU is decent, so think about including SSD for it