Thread: Mmo

Post Mmo

I have been observing the attitude of MMO players for quite a long time and it seems that the true meaning of MMO's has been lost to some.

There are two types of mmo'rs now days and they are.

Type A: all they care about is getting gear and being able to kill everything ASAP.(they are better off playing a single player RPG) and they do not really care about the story and just skip through all the quests/story ASAP to be done with it. Another reason they want gear is to try to impress other people of the same sex.

Type B(True MMO'rs): Actually care about the game's story and the community they build in it, the people they meet become their friends(yes you can have friends on the internet, they are real people). what they care about in a game is having fun doing everything they can in the game with their friends, and they down content to have fun with their friends(not to be competitive or anything like that.

This is not a casual vs. hardcore, because both types fit both catagories.

It just seems alot of people are lost to what a MMO truely is, and they are basically trying to play MMO's like they are a single player RPG and would honestly be better off just playing single player RPGs, it just confuses me why you would want to pay 15$ a month to do nothing but kill some raids bosses then log off, when you can play a game like dragon age or so where you can get better gear and kill the final boss. like why would you want to play a mmo if you dont care about having a community, thats really the point of a mmo.

Well share your opinion's i guess.

Your thought process here is flawed in that you think there is a right and wrong way to play the game.

When you can group up with 24 other people to collectively down a boss in a single player game, your view will gain a little bit of merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin FTW View Post
    Your thought process here is flawed in that you think there is a right and wrong way to play the game.

When you can group up with 24 other people to collectively down a boss in a single player game, your view will gain a little bit of merit.
    The other people i am talking about dont care about those other 24 people they are raiding with and just want the loot at the end so whats the point?

What's the point? It's fun.

And even if it's not fun for them, who are you to say they are doing it wrong?

Why can't we all just play the game and enjoy it instead of telling people how it should be played (or in other cases, picking at the games flaws...yes it has flaws, nothing is perfect but just try to enjoy the game...)

What's the point? It's fun.

And even if it's not fun for them, who are you to say they are doing it wrong?
    Because thats the point of an mmo, might as well play a private server and solo all of the bosses.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 02:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Velyndina View Post
    Why can't we all just play the game and enjoy it instead of telling people how it should be played (or in other cases, picking at the games flaws...yes it has flaws, nothing is perfect but just try to enjoy the game...)
    What game am i talking about? Off-Topic Forums» General Off-Topic»

Im talking about MMO's in general, and why some of the people playing them might as well play single player rpgs because they have more action and direct story in them. basically if your not gonna care about the other people or the community why play a mmo?

There is no "point" to an mmo, it exists and there are things to do in it. Each person assigns different meaning to everything in the game. You may think that the point of an MMO is to read all the quest text and absorb the story and make friends, and I may think that the point is to level all my trade skills and see how much gold I can make.

Neither of us is wrong

There is no "point" to an mmo, it exists and there are things to do in it. Each person assigns different meaning to everything in the game. You may think that the point of an MMO is to read all the quest text and absorb the story and make friends, and I may think that the point is to level all my trade skills and see how much gold I can make.

Neither of us is wrong
    The point is community. you can play a single player RPG and see how much gold you can make.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone that only care about getting gear is still part of a community since they can't get that gear by themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Sw3d3n View Post
    The point is community. you can play a single player RPG and see how much gold you can make.
    You can't compare getting best gear to getting as much gold as possible in a game, those options are hardly equal in any way. In a RPG you would only compete with yourself then post your result on a website or something to show off while in a MMO you compete with everyone else. The major difference is that in a RPG EVERYONE can do the same thing while in a MMO there is only a small group of people that will reach the top

Also your opinion about "True MMO'rs" sounds more like people who plays RPG's seeing how in a RPG the story matters alot. So the statement should be more "True MMORPG'rs"
    Last edited by Spl4sh3r; 2011-06-20 at 02:43 AM.

I... do you want me to quote myself? I just laid out how wrong you are in your assumptions and you're just repeating yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Anyone that only care about getting gear is still part of a community since they can't get that gear by themselves!

You can't compare getting best gear to getting as much gold as possible in a game, those options are hardly equal in any way. In a RPG you would only compete with yourself then post your result on a website or something to show off while in a MMO you compete with everyone else. The major difference is that in a RPG EVERYONE can do the same thing while in a MMO there is only a small group of people that will reach the top

Also your opinion about "True MMO'rs" sounds more like people who plays RPG's seeing how in a RPG the story matters alot. So the statement should be more "True MMORPG'rs"
    The story doesnt matter in a mmo?

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 02:45 AM ----------

I... do you want me to quote myself? I just laid out how wrong you are in your assumptions and you're just repeating yourself.
    I am not wrong.

There are people that play mmo's wrong and only raid and try to get better gear.

and there are people that care about building a community and enjoying the game to its fullest.

There are people that play mmo's wrong and only raid and try to get better gear.

and there are people that care about building a community and enjoying the game to its fullest.
    Right, you're right here.

Where you're wrong is that you think one of these is wrong/right or better/worse than the other.

Right, you're right here.

Where you're wrong is that you think one of these is wrong/right or better/worse than the other.
    So your saying its better to waste your 15$ a month to get on for 2-3 hours to raid and then log off til the next raid? For less money you can buy a regular RPG and get way more bang for your buck if you do everything you can.

We're going in circles here.

A regular RPG doesn't allow you to raid with other people.

It's not a waste of money if whoever paid for it enjoys it, no matter what "it" is.

We're going in circles here.

A regular RPG doesn't allow you to raid with other people.

It's not a waste of money if whoever paid for it enjoys it, no matter what "it" is.

But what's the point of raiding with other people if you do not care about the community? your basically just using them to get your gear, you do not actually care about them. you might as well not play a MMO.

I give up; you're right, everyone who spends money for something you personally don't find enjoyable is dumb and should immediately replace that with your suggested activity that makes more sense to you and only you.

Someone else can take up the task of arguing with a wall that can't think

Because thats the point of an mmo, might as well play a private server and solo all of the bosses.

---------- Post added 2011-06-20 at 02:37 AM ----------

What game am i talking about? Off-Topic Forums» General Off-Topic»

Im talking about MMO's in general, and why some of the people playing them might as well play single player rpgs because they have more action and direct story in them. basically if your not gonna care about the other people or the community why play a mmo?
    I said no specific game. I said "the game" which refers to what we're talking about: any MMO. Just play the game or don't...

I never said anything about playing a game or not :/ i care about this disease of fake mmo players, they are just as bad as gays.
    What?

I'd say it's more of a disease to have a thought process like this.

Neither of us is wrong
    If this game was actually more than beating on a larger than average character model for 5 minutes straight after a variable length of trash clearing on a weekly lockout I might agree.

Well... there may still be pvp to some people but it's not much to hope for anymore. Reminds me of Vanilla, Raid or Die bitches!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    But what's the point of raiding with other people if you do not care about the community? your basically just using them to get your gear, you do not actually care about them. you might as well not play a MMO.
    You have no say in what is right or wrong. Just because I play a MMO doesn't mean I have to care about the community. If I want to raid to be the best in the world, and get the best gear, who are you to say I'm wrong?