Worgen Lore - Graymane & Worgen curse

So, playing through the worgen starting area. Something didn't make sense to me, and was wondering if someone could explain it.

--Your character is turned into a worgen running feral until you are caught and done experiments on etc. until you are fixed to be an acceptable "human". Then you do all the stuff for the Humans till you meet Crowley who head of Worgen in control of themselves with help of the druids.

It is only after help from the druids that you can go from being in your Worgen form to human.

-- However, my problem is this... King Graymane comes to meet Crowley he says basically "I'm your king because I'm a Worgen too!!" and turns into a worgen, SURPRISE!!!

My questions:
    1. Since Greymane is a worgen how did he regain his human mind and form (since it must have been without the help of the druids because they were surprised)?
    2. If Graymane learned this without the druid's assistance, why didn't he use this information to help the worgen in his kingdom--instead letting them be experimented on (which they say has killed other worgen in the process)?

To be honest, I just came back to WoW and started a new Worgen and I had the same basic problem. There's only so far they can go without a plothole, and the implication there is that Genn, either without the benefit of the Night Elves guidance or the Scythe of Elune, mastered his own mind again or that the Night Elves were secretly helping him separately (and again without the Scythe) from Crowley's worgen. I don't, though, interpret it as him having had control over it the whole time, even when they were using Krennan Aranas' potion to control the worgen. There's a quest where you go to Lorna at her family farm and she thinks you are a feral worgen, so presumably such are still out there. Perhaps Genn doesn't even get infected until some point during the questline, such as when they evacuate on the coaches. It still wouldn't explain how he controlled it, though. Basically, no amount of fanwank can make it a coherent arc.

What's more, while I have no lore-whining about Worgen druids, two things occurred to me that make it hard to suspend disbelief -- in the levelling process, your then-human, now-worgen druid learns to turn into a cat before learning to turn back into a human. That seems... unlikely. Another is, I'll buy the whole Druid of the Harvest angle about them being preternaturally good farmers and not full-on druids... but why? I don't understand how the humans of Gilneas are connected to the Druids of the Pack until after they get infected by the worgen.

10+ Year Old Account
    honestly its an over looked issue. maybe he was the test subject for stronger alchemy

15+ Year Old Account
    He's Genn mother****ing Greymane
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    honestly its an over looked issue. maybe he was the test subject for stronger alchemy
    You would know best. I was hoping for a reply from you lol.

Genn was infected long before the quest line and the Worgen attack on Gilneas I believe. He and other nobles would go out and kill worgen in the Blackwald for sport after Arugal's failure. Greymane had Arugal summon the worgen to combat the Scourge attacking the wall. This plan succeeded but Arugal lost control of some of the worgen. Genn was bitten on one of worgen hunts. Which makes the worgen comic somewhat contradictory... It says that one of the original Druids of the Pack, Ralaar Fangfire, in league with the Forsaken infected the Gilneans to weaken them so the Forsaken could take over Gilneas. As for Genn being able to control his curse without night elven treatment is just a big whole in the worgen lore. The lore at the moment isn't that great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bblubbs View Post
    You would know best. I was hoping for a reply from you lol.
    as the other guy said before

He's Genn mother****ing Greymane
    but yea it was an overlooked dramatic scene. i guess if they want to make an excuse, he was a test subject for stronger alchemy.

Deleted
    If you remember when you become "sane" again after you are captured the alchemist guy says it will only have limited effects due to you being feral for so long. Maybe if Genn was given the remedie as soon as he was bitten or just after he had time to stave off being taken over. It's only when he reveals he is a worgen that you see him so maybe if he got the remedy before he transformed he could hold back the transformation completely.

Blizzard actively works on Alliance story arcs, and makes sure that they are consistent.
    /sarcasm off

seriously; Alleria / Turlyon are lost to the wind, and the leveling experience as ally in Cata is in response to the leveling experience as horde (Southern Barrens / Twilight Highlands especially)

from,
    a disenfranchised Alliance Fanboi

I'm a Horde fanboy all the way, but yeah. A lot more story inconsistencies with the Alliance and it pisses me off because I'm more lore nerd than Horde fanboy.

At least Collect 10 Bear Asses quests don't put in story inconsistencies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to say that those with a super-strong will can dominate their worgen forms...sort of. like in Claymore

The story is in the comic, but I would like to say a couple of things here:

1) he is the king, so he is just special. That is just the thing about heroes, factions leaders and that kind of thing. That is how it goes. It is kind of what happened when Tirion held the corrupt Ashbringer and the sword was back to its former glory. Main characters like that do not need proper reasoning, they are simply better than the rest.

2) From the comic: Greymane struggled with that far longer our characters, and had tried different potions and the like to help control himself. When he met the Priestess of the Moon who helped in the making of the Worgen, he had already tested a few things, and she helps his alchemist to find ways to help him keep from losing control. He also isolates himself from others during the night, so maybe he just made sure his shapeshifting would not hurt others. The potion that the character drinks seems to be the one Greymane used to drink, plus whatever the Priestess said to be helpful. There is even a plant in the comic which seems to soothe the Worgen quite a bit.

Other than that, the storytelling in-game is not so flawed. By the time you get to know the Druids and all that, you know that there is a way to regain control and your 'human' appearance. You simply cannot know if Greymane was turned into a Worgen after you did, if he had gone through the same process that made you regain your humanity. I think it is fine

I think you should read the comic. It is very nice, I loved it.

As for the Alliance lore, it is such a shame where it stands nowadays...

I was thinking about it... well in the worgen starting zone at first you can't turn into a human right? Well later along before you get the spell you can type in /transform and it will turn you human... so maybe he can turn human when he needs to and hides when he can't?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potentmage View Post
    If you remember when you become "sane" again after you are captured the alchemist guy says it will only have limited effects due to you being feral for so long. Maybe if Genn was given the remedie as soon as he was bitten or just after he had time to stave off being taken over. It's only when he reveals he is a worgen that you see him so maybe if he got the remedy before he transformed he could hold back the transformation completely.
    Makes the most sense, honestly.

Or what Nither said, that too.

There is existing lore of Night Elves having used the "feral form" as Druids, and a select few having been able to assume control. This is without any alchemy or the Scythe of Elune. It's possible that someone strong-willed is able to free themselves from the feral tendencies of the Worgen form. The first Night Elf to do so became leader of the "pack" of other feral Druids. It's likely that being as strong as he is, Genn Greymane was able to overcome it much like the Druid in question.
    If only I could be so grossly incandescent.

Deleted
    It was explained in the comics. He had the help of Belrysa that teached him to control his inner rage and he was always the first to test the potions.

Remember, the reason why there are so many Worgen that can't go human without the help of the Night Elves is because they were feral for several months.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2011-06-21 at 11:49 AM.

Simple answer: He ran into some other druids. I doubt every single Nelf Druid is on their Darnassian Twitters keeping everyone in touch, so there might be more druids running around the are trying to help some of the feral ones. Don't forget that Azeroth keeps going without our characters (technically). Just because we aren't there to experience it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Sort of.