Considering leveling a pally, ut first a few questions

Hello, im recently coming back from a break from wow and i want to make a char that ive never played before. Pally might seem the way to go. My goal is to just basically have fun leveling, doing instances. Always been a healer so wanna try some melee dps and tanking. When I get to max level my plans will be be mainly soloing old instances and pvp. The point of this post is to ask pallys with these same interests, how is it. Did u enjoying the leveling experience on a pally, is it hard to solo old instances and raids, and how is pally pvp (both as a healer and ret)?

I loved leveling my Paladin, but that's because I did it back pre-BC. PvP is currently (I don't have any backup on this) probably the best tanking class at this point of time in the game. If you're going to be leveling by doing dungeons, I'd suggest going Protection. Ret is basically shit and worthless. Plus outside of dungeons, it's not too bad either for questing and such.

PvP-wise, I can't help you much, I don't do it a lot.

I would suggest ret or holy for pvp leveling, ret paladins are OP with that automatic shield that procs when your health is at 30%

15+ Year Old Account
    ret pvp is flimsy and holy isn't much better.

prot is the strongest tree for paladins right now, imo, especially in a solo world.

hell, in a solo situation, i'm not sure there's anything else i want to be but prot. there's a lot of versatility there.

Go for it! Playing on my pally is so fun and it's so easy to solo old instances. For example I usually do H SH for the mount. And I can easily do it in a few pulls without worrying about dying.

For soloing old content, prot has the damage capability of ret and the self healing of holy, I would definitely recommend it as the way to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play what you find to be fun. If you don't have fun while leveling the paladin, play something else.

Closing.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!