Poll: Which MMO mechanic?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaspike View Post
    Were you one of the people I warned about it.
    Was that a question?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Was that a question?
    Yes, but I was an idiot and put a period instead of a question mark. Sometimes I have to /facepalm at myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    **sneaks a peek at thread, see's all the usual "experts" bashing RIFT, lools and leaves**

Deleted
    wonder how ppl can judge over something that aint even released yet.. (wel 50% of the poll)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kano View Post
    wonder how ppl can judge over something that aint even released yet.. (wel 50% of the poll)
    Well for the star wars it's probably the walkthroughs that have been shown, and the beta information from players that is available(nda is still up last I knew). For the gw stuff it would have to be either A)experience from part 1, or B) videos shown of playing in part 2.

Deleted
    Gw:2 does sound interesting. I play Rift just now and i know that game is good. Wow for me was just 'Old Hat' after 6 odd years the fun of the game was just ground out of me.

Now Sw:Tor is a strange case. I did want to play that game and it sounds like it will be good but people have been waiting and waiting and waiting and did i mention waiting? There has been so much stick on this game for so long that i dont really care about the carrot anymore.

So in short as i cant judge games i have not tried i vote Rift. I like the class system,invasions and i even still like to close Rifts. Yeah even now if i see a Rift, Major Rift, Crafting Rift or Raid Rift i get stuck in! Be it a foothold , invasion , epic invasion or event invasion you can be sure i will be heading to that zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    Gw:2 does sound interesting. I play Rift just now and i know that game is good. Wow for me was just 'Old Hat' after 6 odd years the fun of the game was just ground out of me.

Now Sw:Tor is a strange case. I did want to play that game and it sounds like it will be good but people have been waiting and waiting and waiting and did i mention waiting? There has been so much stick on this game for so long that i dont really care about the carrot anymore.

So in short as i cant judge games i have not tried i vote Rift. I like the class system,invasions and i even still like to close Rifts. Yeah even now if i see a Rift, Major Rift, Crafting Rift or Raid Rift i get stuck in! Be it a foothold , invasion , epic invasion or event invasion you can be sure i will be heading to that zone.
    Yes, it's hard to imagine a company taking the time to make something great anymore. Most companies these days cave to deadlines, and then try to patch their way through. My sign up date for swtor forums is
    so I qualify as one of those that has been waiting for awhile. I don't mind though, because they are putting some genuine effort into making the game great. Companies that rush out games due to deadlines have massive problems (see the release of cataclysm even though we were telling them it wasn't ready).

10+ Year Old Account
    University: Flagstaff, AZ Summer: Phoenix, AZ
    If I didn't purchase rift while it was 10 bucks on steam I probably won't ever be convinced to buy it.
    I chose GW2 because it looks to be the most similar to wow, and of a high caliber of quality if everything pans out, but, I'll probably end up picking up SWTOR either also or first due to a lot of friends wanting to play it. And it's Star Wars... come on.

Some people need to take a vacation from these forums , Primernova is just bashing and flaming everything for no specific reason ...

Also Puremalace u dont want to play SWTOR u want to play WoW with Star Wars skin which aint gona happen , Looking For Derps and other stuff that made community turn into mouthbreathing idiots isnt in SWTOR and alot of people are glad for
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I'll be fair to Puremallace and say what you quoted he was talking about how Rift advertises since I brought it up. Just thought I'd clear that up.
    guess I completely misread that, my bad

Deleted
    Honestly, from what we've seen so far, I'm more into SWtOR than any other MMO, but the system that looks more interesting to me in that list is the GW2 dynamic events. I was hoping Bioware would do something like this, similar to Warhammer's Public Quests. Maybe in the future.

But as a whole SWtOR seems to be a lot more fun, and that's the one I'm more enthusiastic about. No, I'm not even a big SW/Sci-fi fan, I usually prefer a fantasy setting, like Warcraft of LOTR.

Since Mythic introduced Public quest system, i hoped every Major will try evolve this system into next level.. for me it's pretty sad that huge company as Bioware is ignoring great system like this. Rift tried to do something with it but I think they made step forward and step backward at a same time.

That's why GW2 is winner in this pool for me. I love idea of dynamic events. I really hope they will succeed so we can see more MMORPGs with similar or better system in the future.

You fail to forget GW2 also has a MMO storyline. It's called personal quests , read up on it.

WoW's controls are what really sets it apart. Everything is very responsive and fluid. Every time I play another MMO they just don't have the same level of quality in their movement, attacking, casting etc.

Yes i mad,

I see all these anti GW2 flame posts spreading false information about the game, so please do some complete research of the game before you spout out nonsense.

I will say a few things,
    As a game GW2 is 98% different than GW1, one of those 1% same being the story.

Their version of dynamic events are completely new, do not compare them to rift or warhammer.

Guild Wars 2 also has personal storyline's with voiceover's like SWTOR , only thing different is the GW2 cinematics are more artsy and less ingame graphics.

If you havent allready look up Alexridiculous on youtube for his videos, one of my favorite is of him explaining production quality's in mmos, which i saw someone complaining about devs not caring.

Also someone saying WoW's responsivness and such is what sets it apart, i assure you if you did some research, GuildWars2's gameplay is Extremely responsive and involves alot of action and movement.

I also say someone trying to say GW2 is a target and use ability game when its not, yes you can target things, but as a ranged class you can miss if your not aiming correctly at the target or the target moves. (Which means you are also able to dodge enemy attacks by manually moving.

I could go on and on about what people are wrong about and that they need to do more research, but ill just say, PLEASE

Go do some research and learn about something before spouting nonsense, it makes you look like an idiot.

P.S: i will also be playing SWTOR casually being a SWG veteran but my main focus will be GW2.

Thank you for reading my almost wall of text.

Edit: Also people saying the anti holy trinity wont work, during the GW2 fanday where they opened up their offices for fans and press to come in nobody had anything negative to say about the dungeons and that they actually worked really well in the dungeons.
    Last edited by Rytlock Brimstone; 2011-07-09 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaspike View Post
    Yes, it's hard to imagine a company taking the time to make something great anymore.
    I am all for a quality product and as its Bioware i think we know it will be. I know IntorWebz rumours mean not much but this games release have been hinted at since last year. It was then Q1 of 2011 now its summer but that wont happen now. So now we expect around Chrimbo but reading the rumours around various web sites it may not even be this year.

With the massive hype of the game starting to fizzle out and still no concrete release date as a potential consumer i am losing interest. I have also been looking forward to this game for a couple of years now but with no end in sight i could take or leave it at this point. With alot of good and new mmos on the horizon they may miss the boat.

I am all for a quality product and as its Bioware i think we know it will be. I know IntorWebz rumours mean not much but this games release have been hinted at since last year. It was then Q1 of 2011 now its summer but that wont happen now. So now we expect around Chrimbo but reading the rumours around various web sites it may not even be this year.

With the massive hype of the game starting to fizzle out and still no concrete release date as a potential consumer i am losing interest. I have also been looking forward to this game for a couple of years now but with no end in sight i could take or leave it at this point. With alot of good and new mmos on the horizon they may miss the boat.
    Actually Pyre Fierceshot linked to a url somewhere in the SWTOR thread that links directly to a Product Slate on Origin(you should of heard of this by now, its made by EA) which shows it as a Q3 release.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rytlock Brimstone View Post
    Actually Pyre Fierceshot linked to a url somewhere in the SWTOR thread that links directly to a Product Slate on Origin(you should of heard of this by now, its made by EA) which shows it as a Q3 release.
    Last thing i read was they said at E3...

'Putting a window out there creates a window of opportunity for our principal competitor to put out an expansion pack or an ad campaign et cetera around our launch window,' said Riccitiello.

The Q3 release is official?

Last thing i read was they said at E3...

'Putting a window out there creates a window of opportunity for our principal competitor to put out an expansion pack or an ad campaign et cetera around our launch window,' said Riccitiello.

The Q3 release is official?
    Yep 100% official, was a direct link to the Origin site.

But now thinking about it, it was either trollsbane or Pyre that linked, good luck finding it in that thread though QQ

10+ Year Old Account
    I want an "all of the above" option.

I love Rifts, they're terribly fun. It's what the great bosses of any game SHOULD be doing at all times, attacking you. What Nefarian lives next door to Stormwind and he never unleashed Chimearon on the city? WTF man?

It however, IMO, does not go far enough. Many times I've seen people fail to defeat a Rift invasion, and yet, an hour later, the world is as it was as though nothing had happened. This is where I favor the GW2 system, an attacking enemy needs to have a permanent effect on the world until that effect can be undone. Invaders destroying a city means that city is GONE until you defeat them and rebuild it.

All of this is pointless though without the great "why" of story. Story is an absolute must, both for characters, the world, and the game. Without it, it's all meaningless. Why are we enemies, why are they attacking us, this IMO has been forgotten in favor of absolute sandboxes where there's hesitation to even tell you you're in sand. Story provides motivation for characters, races, classes, world events. All utterly necessary to make a complete and whole MMO.

And of course, there is always a necessary level of balance. All classes and races should be unique in their own way, however, no class/race should feel distinctly unplayable in the world at large when compared to other classes. They don't need to be perfectly 1-1, but they shouldn't be more than say 0.9-1, because once you start getting into a class being 20% more/less powerful than others, you start making that class gimped. So yes, sometimes OP classes need to be nerfed for balance, however, I think MMOs should favor buffing classes over nerfing them. Everyone likes buffs, everyone likes hearing their abilities now cast faster, cost less, and do more damage. Buffing classes of course requires buffing the world, but people rarely object to that either as long as it's presented as new challenge and not just a "oh they're stronger now" sorta thing.

So my answer is: all of the above. Which given a few years, an MMO will do. You will have random world events with real effects on the world which relate to a powerful and well developed story, and everyone will feel like equal participants. We just have to wait a few years for these ideas to stop being seen as "breaking the mold" or "reinforcing the mold" and instead "redesigning the mold".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.