Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So just finished my new build, no longer need cd/dvd drive

and i realized, wait a sec, do i even need an internal cd/dvd drive? i get most of my games off steam now and if i need to install anything i have a USB dvd drive. so i just got rid of my old one. anyone else not using cd/dvd drives anymore?

And you can install your OS via a USB-drive (and like you suggested, USB-DVD).
    I still have one, but I still recommend that people do not get one. I rarely get listened to though.

I find them useful when making installation disc's for family/friends when i download the .ISO of a piece of software, err I mean make a back up of a disc that I bought legit :P. It saves me the hassle of having to ask for my thumb drive back or sticking around until the installation is over. But yea, I use it maybe once every month to actually make a disc.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    And you can install your OS via a USB-drive (and like you suggested, USB-DVD).
    I still have one, but I still recommend that people do not get one. I rarely get listened to though.
    thats what i ended up doing also my old cd/dvd drive didnt have a sata port and my new mobo doesn't even have a pata spot so w/e

Don't see a purpose for them most of the time, but then I have the occasional "oh shit I need it now" moments, so there you go. :U
    Wouldn't really stress over it; they throw DVD-reader/writers at you like candy nowadays.

Deleted
    pretty much all that needs to be said has been covered, they're not exactly needed.

My newest build doesn't have one(granted I salvaged my old HDD so didn't need to install windows) but likewise, I never really use disks any more, all my games are downloaded via steam and tv shows streamed.

It's nice to have one if you have a spare banging about and a free sata port to plug it in, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you plan on using it a lot.

Deleted
    well, I wouldn't call it un-needed.

I still want to watch dvd's with my wife at the TV and I use my DVD burner for that. but then again, I also burn PS2 games. so it really depends what you do with it (also, USB DVD drives are expensiver and slower then the internal ones).

I still have 3 optical drives, a CD Burner, a DVD burner and a Blu-Ray burner (cba to get them out until they can't fit in a new mobo anymore).

I reccomend a internal Blu Ray drive, I love watching movies on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfiredragon View Post
    This, I'm more lenient to understanding.

Personally, however, use my notebook with HDMI to the TV if I want that. My 3 year-old one if I would need Bluray (not that I've ever watched a bluray yet! :P)

Well if you have an laptop or something with one, i guess it is no needed. But at least for me, because i am at uni, i need it for the occasional project and not. And they are 20 dollars for 10+ years so...

15+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes i get uber nostalgia...
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Deleted
    The DVD burner in my PC has been broke (Been reusing it in multiple builds for years now) for about a year now. Not bothered to replace it and I've never found myself needing it.

Thing is a drive is so cheap nowadays you may as well include it

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Pretty much why I still buy them. Have a few games I can't be arsed to download.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas View Post
    Sometimes I walk past the bargain bin...

;P

i think the last time i used my dvd player on the pc was over 3 years ago, it was the windows disk.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfiredragon View Post
    I bought one of these for the same reason since I have a 3D monitor, and I have some older games that require the disc to be in the drive. I'm sure I could find cracks, but I keep all my discs in a folder next to me.

Also, my terrible internet doesn't like Steam so I still buy 95% or more of my games retail.

Quote Originally Posted by VIVIsectVI View Post
    I bought one of these for the same reason since I have a 3D monitor, and I have some older games that require the disc to be in the drive. I'm sure I could find cracks, but I keep all my discs in a folder next to me.

Also, my terrible internet doesn't like Steam so I still buy 95% or more of my games retail.
    You could also mount mini-images.

I find searching through my cd stack to find one game just to play it is a PITA.

Personally I'm using an external USB DVD-RW. I can use it with all of my PCs/laptop so it's kinda cool.

I like the new-stuff smell, so I buy hard copies of my games, which isn't many as there aren't many PC releases of good games :/

That reminds me, I should totally get a dedicated Windows 7 installation USB Stick!
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|