Page 1 of 48
... LastLast

Death penalty too expensive?

California has spent $4 billion on only 13 executions since the 70's. Is the death penalty too expensive in this situation?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3505671.story

Deleted
    Maybe we should think about whether or not murdering people is an acceptable form of punishment, before we think about whether or not it's too expensive ?

Deleted
    People are dying and all you think about is the cost?

if they deserved it why do you care if they die

Quote Originally Posted by Torticoli View Post
    Maybe we should think about whether or not murdering people is an acceptable form of punishment, before we think about whether or not it's too expensive ?
    Especially when your defence depends on how much money you got, they spend more money to execute you than to get you a proper lawyer, hail to the justice system of america.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mastertroll View Post
    Nobody deserves to die for public entertainment. Lock them up for 23 hours a day for the rest of their lives instead.

If someone takes another life in cold blood, or rapes someone, or is a pedophile, they should be killed. You guys need to stop being so soft. Giving someone a roof over their heads and 3 meals aday for the rest of their lives after they killed someone isnt good enough. Also, the fact that its so expensive is silly, bullets only cost 75 cents a piece.

Innocents get executed to you know.

To stay on the fact of costs: Imprisoning someone for a long time is incredibly money-consuming, too.

You can never be 100% sure, there have been so much exemple of error in "justice".

Deleted
    For two reasons, Mr. mastertroll (not flaming, this is his actual name) :

1. Who are we to decide if somebody "deserves" to lose his life ? Haven't we evolved past the 12th century ?
    2. If someday, I'm wrongly accused and condemned of a terrible crime I didn't commit (as it happens every day, in lots of places), I like to think I'll be able, at least, to prove my innocence after a few - or a lot of - years, and be released. I don't like the idea of being killed, only to be found innocent a few years after. Bet my family doesn't either.

By the way, such a thread has already appeared on these forums a few months ago - I actually participated quite a lot in the discussion at the time - but it went out of control when people started to discuss whether or "people who are useless to society should be put down". Just a warning.
    Last edited by mmocf44a7c1c50; 2011-06-20 at 02:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanset View Post
    If someone takes another life in cold blood, or rapes someone, or is a pedophile, they should be killed. You guys need to stop being so soft. Giving someone a roof over their heads and 3 meals aday for the rest of their lives after they killed someone isnt good enough. Also, the fact that its so expensive is silly, bullets only cost 75 cents a piece.
    And what happens when you remove all the important things that make the death penalty expensive and end up killing an innocent person?

Quote Originally Posted by Luminee View Post
    To stay on the fact of costs: Imprisoning someone for a long time is incredibly money-consuming, too.
    Yes it is, less so than executing them tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Eightace View Post
    Nobody deserves to die for public entertainment. Lock them up for 23 hours a day for the rest of their lives instead.
    It's for noones entertainment and you know it. But I agree billie slice a throat should live out his life better than the homeless just cause people think it's wrong to kill...which is why he is in that position in the first place.

i wonder if someone comes and kills yoir father , mother , sister , children etc would you still think the same

Quote Originally Posted by Luminee View Post
    A life sentence is 20 years. On average, a death case stays in prison for 14 years before being executed. That 6 year difference is more than made up for by the other extra costs associated with the death penalty, whether they be legal proceedings or the disposal of the body.

i wonder if someone comes and kills yoir father , mother , sister , children etc would you still think the same
    Making it personal doesn't make it any more right or wrong. If somebody would judge differently because it was their family, it is because of emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Quanset View Post
    You don't seem very educated on this subject.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2011-06-20 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, it's too expensive. Get someone else to do it, that's icky.

I mean as long as they spend the money making sure they're not actually innocent then whatever I don't really care what they do. It's not cool to have an innocent person die a criminal though, that's important.

Other than that, do whatever saves us the most money.

People are dying and all you think about is the cost?
    Of course! If they are "dying" it´s because they did something that made them get the Death Penalty!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ Learn from the best! FIGHT THE POWER!

Deleted
    And this is why family members aren't allowed to determine punishments. Justice isn't about vengeance or revenge and the emotional turmoil of the victims shouldn't be used as a basis to determine how someone should be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Linuilas View Post
    And this is why family members aren't allowed to determine punishments. Justice isn't about vengeance or revenge and the emotional turmoil of the victims shouldn't be used as a basis to determine how someone should be punished.
    who said that it should ?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you intentionally kill(murder) someone you deserve to lose your own life as a punishment.

Bullet through the head, fast, cheap and painless way to die as long as the gun is big enough
    and the shooter is a professional.

Death penalty isn't too expensive, the way they execute it is... (pun not intented)