Thread: External HD

External HD

Just plugged in my shiny new WD USB 3.0 external HD and...

Avast said "Threat detected!" Yea. It made that on another computer I plugged it in too.

Is that normal or I should worry and go crazy to scan my new computer? I feel stupid.

Thx,
    Chicken

Deleted
    Just format the HDD to be sure, If it's new it should be empty or have some link to some registry page, so it doesn't really matter that much.

It only has the usual WD shit on it (program, read-me files, etc).

Only thing else I put on it was a Powerpoint presentation I made a while ago (100% clean, guaranteed)

10+ Year Old Account
    Scan it with anti-virus and see if you can find what it's flagging as a threat.

If its an older one (even if you bought it new) It could be flagged. Microsoft has recently upgraded their policy on auto run devices so it might see the HDD preload stuff garbage. IMO Reformat with windows and use windows backup (if that what you're using it for)

Often times if an external hard drive, headset, flashdrive, etc. has internal software that goes with it or software you have to install you're antivirus might pick it up as a "threat." If it's brand new don't worry about it.