Slow "High Speed".

I am currently paying for 6 mb/sec internet from Telus, and only getting MAX 400 kb/sec usually averaging around 325 kb/sec. I called them with my complaints and they told me my ethernet cable is to long, now i think this is bullshit, i was wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to how to boost my speed. Thanks in advance.
    Thunder. Thunder. Thunder cats gooooooooooo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slure View Post
    I am currently paying for 6 mb/sec internet from Telus, and only getting MAX 400 kb/sec usually averaging around 325 kb/sec. I called them with my complaints and they told me my ethernet cable is to long, now i think this is bullshit, i was wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to how to boost my speed. Thanks in advance.
    That is indeed bullshit, but we can't really boost your speed if you're wired... :,<

Im just looking for a logical reason why my internet is running so slowly when is clearly shouldn't be.
    Thunder. Thunder. Thunder cats gooooooooooo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Im just looking for a logical reason why my internet is running so slowly when is clearly shouldn't be.
    Speeds are normally horribly inaccurate if you live in the US. :S

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Speeds are normally horribly inaccurate if you live in the US. :S
    And that's a horribly generic and baseless comment.

speedtest.net is telling me 29.3 Mbps and 3.02 Mbps upload with a 12 ms ping. From what I can gather from the Comcast website, they are promising 15 Mbps.

[edit] Then I went to bandwidthplace.com and it's telling me 6.9 to 8.0 Mbps, and then over at dslreports.com it's 16.8 Mbps with a 6 Mbps upload.

So WTF...
    Last edited by Porcell; 2011-06-21 at 04:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    And that's a horribly generic and baseless comment.

speedtest.net is telling me 29.3 Mbps and 3.02 Mbps upload with a 12 ms ping. From what I can gather from the Comcast website, they are promising 15 Mbps.
    I'd say that's inaccurate, wouldn't you?

10+ Year Old Account
    your connection is in bits, your downloads are in bytes, there is a difference of x8, so if your download speed is 400KB/s, your connection is 3.2Mb/s, still far below the 6 you are paying for, but they don't have to guarantee you a 6Mb connection,

cable length does affect your speed though

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    your connection is in bits, your downloads are in bytes, there is a difference of x8, so if your download speed is 400KB/s, your connection is 3.2Mb/s, still far below the 6 you are paying for, but they don't have to guarantee you a 6Mb connection,

cable length does affect your speed though
    Just to expand on this - you need to look at the letters after your quoted speeds.

MB = Megabytes
    Mb = Megabits

So if you have a 6Mb connection, your max speed is probably around ~700KB/s, which isn't TOO far off your current 400KB/s downloads.

HOWEVER - If you were promised a 6MB downstream , this actually equals to a 48Mb connection. You're way off that!

Check the fine print.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I'd say that's inaccurate, wouldn't you?
    I'd say that if varies greatly depending on which server you are doing the test against.

Download speeds are like "What's your DPS?" questions. It depends on the context of the question.

How fast is your router and modem?

Diesel 1/7H

I am currently paying for 6 mb/sec internet from Telus, and only getting MAX 400 kb/sec usually averaging around 325 kb/sec.
    If the internet connection you have is ADSL, then it's fairly normal. On ADSL the maximum speed depends on your distance to the nearest telephone switch box big enough to hold the ADSL routers of ISP. Maximum speed is 8mbps and it drops by 1mbps for each 1KM from that. Also the quality of the telephone lines in the house and nearby will affect internet speed.

If you look at your ISPs website carefully, I'm 101% sure it says somewhere, possibly in small print if they're complete dicks that your speed is up to 6mbps, not guaranteed 6mbps.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I called them with my complaints and they told me my ethernet cable is to long
    Are you sure they said your ethernet cable? I've had problems before when the PHONE cable between the modem and the wall was too long. I can't remember the limits, but they suggested it not to be longer than either half a meter, or a full meter (the shorter the better).

Changing to a really short one from my 20m+ cable actually worked wonders, so it might be worth trying.

If not, as has been said, the speed is most likely "up to" 6 mbit/sec. Even if it's a guaranteed 2-6 mbps, you can't really do anything, since it comes in within the interval. At my last place, I had 12-24. Very very rarely did it even pop over 14 mbps.

Telus sucks im paying for a 7-15 mb/s connection and i get a max 2.5mb/s during a test and only a maximum of 325kB/s of actual dl speed

It might not be your cables but In my town telus has crappy cables and i get half speed of someone 1 block from me. They wont tell you that but my fiances dad works for telus and he tells me this. Ask around there are probably people with same rated connection but getting double your speed. I live in Canada BC dawson creek
    Last edited by Kizzer; 2011-06-21 at 09:48 AM.