Fridge and EM field

I have a mini fridge about 5 inchs to the right of my Tower of my PC. My Subwoofer rests ontop of it and the sound cords go from my tower to my subwoofer and then to my speakers. Now i have a constant problem where my sound cords from my sub to my pc never work, iv tried different wires, iv tested the wires on other things and they work. Now the wires work when i like hand them a certainway or proped up a certain way for a bit but then changes and even then only half the speakers function. Iv conluded since everything works away from this setup it has to be an EM field the Fridge is generating, i dont honestly have another place for it and im wondering if anyone has some advice to deal with this situation like tin foil lining the one side of the fridge or somthing?

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds incredibly farfetched, but on the off chance that that's the culprit, you honestly can't move the mini fridge ANYWHERE else?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    That sounds incredibly farfetched, but on the off chance that that's the culprit, you honestly can't move the mini fridge ANYWHERE else?
    Not without spending like 4 hours moving everything. Im thinking about just unplugging it while i use my speakers, its rare that i do so it should be safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cables themselves should have enough shielding to prevent something like that, far-fetched indeed...
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    The cables themselves should have enough shielding to prevent something like that, far-fetched indeed...
    How so , they have like a wisp of rubber around them? I dont get how this is far fetched? Every peice of equipment works when its away from this area, and FYI my computer has been through 4 different OS's and 2 different sound cards and the same problem. So since it sounds far fetched tell me what else it could be.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have confirmed its the fridge at fault?, (by moving the fridge ?)

Also yes as everyone elses, with a mini one, chances are there's no major interferance... although if they work a cirtain way or when your holding them.. it sounds much more likely that its a loose connection.

Also putting a sub-woofer ontop of anything electrical is a bad idea... its a desk, stand or floor job... if you use your sound system alot, and like to "crank it up" you will damage your fridge.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-06-21 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

I couldn't see a fridge putting out enough EMI to make a cable not work altogether. If it was causing humming/static/noise that would definitely be believable, but not "you get no signal" (which is what I assume is happening?). Are you sure it's not the cable itself that's shorting out/has a bad connection?

Also, subwoofers work more efficiently (more volume output with a given input level) when they're placed on the floor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of just guessing, test it! All you have to do to test this is to unplug your fridge for a few minutes when you test the sound. If your problem magically goes away, the fridge is the problem. If the problem is still there, it has nothing to do with the fridge... and please report back with your findings.